love9708

I'm very nervous about my plane ride

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello VJ people!I would be so grateful to hear any advice from you

I'm so nervous about my plane ride, it's my first time to travel out of the country. I will be flying to the U.S next week. I'm really getting nervous now. I will be flying with delta alone to meet my fiance.

Can anyone please share some experience when you were going to the U.S. Like your experience at the NAIA airport(I'm from Philippines BTW)and your experience stopping over to japan and your port of entry to the United States. My flight is from Manila to Japan then Japan to Detroit and to Chicago where my fiance is going to pick me up. My fiance ordered me a ticket online and he just gave me a confirmation number for it and told me to just give it when I'm already at the airport. And what about money, how much do you think I'm going to spend for it. and do i have to bring dollars too? Sorry i asked too much

Thanks in advance for the reply, God bless you

Zah

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer is free on Internation Flights, Eat a large meal and have a few cold beers and sleep the whole trip to the USA.

Don't leave the airport in Detroit, it has the highest crime rate of any city in the USA.

Besides that the flight is a piece of cake, long and boring and usually the plane is cold

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok, if u have a confirmation and a full paid ticket then you won't need money....unless u talking about misssing flights/connections and the airline/s is not willing to help. Never travelled to japan our through the philippines but international travels are just the same. I go to jamaica and dominican republic every six months. Just allow some time to check in at the philippines airport I'm assuming the total travel time might be about 15-20 hours...... You ll need maybe about $30.00 USD for food unless u plan on eating more than than 3 full meals for the duration of ur trip and with the lil meal/s u might get from philippines to japan and the long leg from japan to US. When u get into the US just plan to chill out with those immigration officers while they fix u up with your paper work. Be sure to Have some foood to eat then... bring a book if u enjoy reading or anything of interest. The POE process the packets on a first come basis while prospective immigrants wait their slow movements behind the counters.

Detriot to chicago I'm assuming would be just about an hour flight, if that. Just a hop just use that time to sleep energize your self do u can go give your hubby all the details of yur trip.

I'm glad you are not flying though atlanta or new york....go figure. Delta is a fairly g ood airline with being ontime. Have fun when u travel and hey... Welcome to america....lol don't get surprised. You'll have a blast....

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

As others have stated, long trips are difficult, if not boring. Sleep on the plane if you can, or have a few free drinks and watch the movie; or read during the journey. Doing something productive will pass the time quickly.

With respect to money, you should have enough to cover any unexpected layovers not covered by the airline or other miscellaneous expenses.

Never leave home for an international trip without $500-600 USD in cash for contingency purposes. At a minimum, a credit card in your name with the above available will suffice.

Safe travels to you.

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Some tips:

1. Bring a book to read, if you're a reader.

2. Bring your iPod/ MP3 player if you like listening to music.

3. Ear plugs and eye covers so that you can sleep easier.

4. Bring a jacket/ sweater because it's cold in the plane.

5. Wear comfortable shoes/ sandals because you'd be walking a lot in the airports.

6. Keep your essential things (passport, etc) in places that are safe and easy to access by you.

7. Bring small tidbits of food if you get hungry easily.

8. DON'T BRING ANY BOTTLE OF WATER. They'd ask you to throw it away before you board.

9. Wear comfortable clothes.

10. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Hope that helps. :)

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJ people!I would be so grateful to hear any advice from you

I'm so nervous about my plane ride, it's my first time to travel out of the country. I will be flying to the U.S next week. I'm really getting nervous now. I will be flying with delta alone to meet my fiance.

Can anyone please share some experience when you were going to the U.S. Like your experience at the NAIA airport(I'm from Philippines BTW)and your experience stopping over to japan and your port of entry to the United States. My flight is from Manila to Japan then Japan to Detroit and to Chicago where my fiance is going to pick me up. My fiance ordered me a ticket online and he just gave me a confirmation number for it and told me to just give it when I'm already at the airport. And what about money, how much do you think I'm going to spend for it. and do i have to bring dollars too? Sorry i asked too much

Thanks in advance for the reply, God bless you

Zah

NAIA is simple. It isn't that big and the Delta people will be very helpful, pointing out where you should go. I don't know how much you have flown, but practice looking on the boards up on the walls for the flight information.

Japan is probably Narita. The little restaurants are expensive there, and so are the shops. You can use dollars. Gosh, I would bring a hundred bucks or have an ATM card. Everyone has a different level of risk they are comfortable with. Pesos won't do you any good after you leave Manila. The exchange rates are not good at the airports and the restaurants and shops don't take pesos.

Narita is much bigger. Do not be afraid to ask where to go. There are very helpful people working there. Your flight info. will be on the boards too, but uniformed employees will help if you are nervous.

Some people (like me) take antihistimines for two reasons. First, they clear your sinuses so you don't have your ears popping when the flight descends - I have chronic sinus problems and descending is really painful for me. But also, they knock you out. You'll sleep soundly and not even notice the guy next to you fondling your ... newspaper.

Narita is really great you will enjoy it! You can exchange your peso for Yen at the airport if you like and buy from the shops. The prices are about the same as the are in the usa, so bring some money. The stores have good candy too that you might want to snack on for the trip

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello.....

Tipson Riding an Airplane

*Be at the airport at least two hours before departure.

Steps when you arrive atthe airport:

1. Go through the initial security checks

2. Go straight to the check in counter,give the ground staff your ticket andany form of ID (check in your luggage when you present your ticket at thecheck-in counter)

3. Proceed to the cashier to pay the terminal fee.

4. Go through the final security check before entering the holding area.

What to Bring:

1. Bring a book or something to pass the time while waiting for your flight atthe pre-dep area.

2. Cameras and ipod is allowed inside the plane. Cellphone is also allowed butit should be turned off.

3. Bring a few candies & bubblegum.

4. Bring jacket because it is pretty cold inside the plane.

Not to Bring:

1. Do not bring any liquid or gel of more than 100 ml in your hand carry, itshould be in your checked-in luggage.

2. Do not bring deadly weapons like swiss knife.

What to Wear:

1. You can wear anything you feel comfortable.

2. You can wear slippers. It's better because if you wear shoes, they will askyou to take them off for x-ray purposes.

Precautions:

1. For those who gets dizzy easily, drink meds an hour the actual ride.

2. Shut off any electronic devices during take off.

3. If you don't have a gum/candy when your ears start hurting because of thechanges in air pressure, just swallow.

4. Make sure your make-up or toiletries are checked-in with the rest of yourluggage.

5. Eat before the flight or going to the airport because foods inside the planeis expensive.

Departure AT NAIA

1. Have your passport and tickets ready.

2. Pass through scanning machine

3. Check-in at airline counter

4. Confirm and pay travel tax

5. Line up in “visitor” Immigration counter

6. Pass through final scanning machine – take note of allowed liquids. and yesyou have to remove your belts and shoes

7. Look for your boarding gate, lounge and wait for your flighT

OR here's some helpful experienced:

NAIA:

1. Walk through the First ENTRANCE.

2. Second entrance (with 2 entrance doors). First security check of bags byxray machine. (I had 2 checked luggages both with 62" total dimension, 1handcarry bag, and my coat.)

3. After the security check, I went to the Check-In Counter to check in myluggages.I fell in line at North West Airline counter. While at line,uniformedairport staff gave me embarcation card form to fill up.(There are differentairlines line there, just find where your airline counter is and fall in line.)

Checking in my luggages:

first staff: The uniformed lady asked me the following questions:

what are in your luggages? "all my personal stuffs. clothes, shoes, bags,accesories and other girly stuffs"

who is your petitioner? "My husband ____ _____."

Where is your xray film? "It's here in my handcarry bag."

Where is your yellow packet? (I showed her my yellow packet, she looked at itand after that she told me "okay, everything is fine, i just checked ifyou have opened it.)

Did anyone or somebody asked you to bring some of their packages for someone inUS? "No, all i brought with me were my personal belongings."

Did you bring any fruits or foods? "No."

second staff: The uniformed lady asked me to show my ticket or e-ticket and mypassport. She checked it in her computer and then She asked me if i wanted tochange my seat number and she asked me what seat number i want for myconnecting flights. She asked if Denver Colorado is my final destination and isaid "yes". After that, she gave me my 3 boarding passes. Next, iproceed to:

third staff: The uniformed guy asked for my passport and my boarding passes. Hethen checked my passport to make sure i have the CFO sticker. He asked me whereis my final destination and i told him "Denver Colorado". After that,he then told me that I should get my Checked In luggages at my POE which is inLAX (Los Angeles Intenational Airport). I said "Okay Sir, thank you."And then he gave back to me my passport and my boarding passes. He gave me the2 checked in claim stubs. After here, he instructed me to go to pay the"Terminal fee". (After here, i didn't go yet to pay the terminal feecoz i still need to go out to bid farewell to my family who is still waitingoutside. I left my boarding pass to the security lady at exit door and she gaveme the claim stub for my boarding pass, she reminded me to go back by 6am or6:30am. At 6am i went inside already to get my boarding pass and went to paythe Terminal Fee.)

Terminal Fee Payment:

I paid P750.

Immigration:

After Terminal Fee, is a line to Immigration. Here, I wasn't asked or anything,i only gave my passport and my boarding passes, and then the Immigration womanonly marked my passport that basically says "departure June 27, 2008 NW002". After this, she gave it back to me. Next was,

Security check: I put my handcarry bag, coat, and remove my slippers and put it at thetray and that passed through xray machine while me I passed through the metaldetector machine barefooted. After here was on the way to go to my gate numberfor boarding.

Boarding:

Security Check: I fell in line with Gate number 2 (with flight NW 002). I putmy handcarry bag, coat, slippers, and laptop to the tray for security checkagain. This was the last security check before boarding my plane.

At Gate number 2: I showed my passport and my boarding pass (Manila to LA viaNarita Japan). After this, i boarded the plane.

Flights:

(Manila to Narita Japan) I had a nice flight. I was sitting at the isle.They served good food but not too many choices. It took almost 4 hours trip MNLto JAPAN.

Lay over at Japan before my flight to LA was 2 hours.

and for your PORT OF ENTRY which is DETROIT--here's the link I can share for you again

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?poe=Detroit&dfilter=0

Enjoy and GOD BLESS for your upcoming trip..

"Patience is the greatest of all virtues"

you will probably have to pay the travel tax (since your ticket was bought online and 99% sure it isnt included in the price of the ticket) and terminal usage fee...like 1620 pesos + 750 pesos....other than that, it will be a piece of cake.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Narita is really great you will enjoy it! You can exchange your peso for Yen at the airport if you like and buy from the shops. The prices are about the same as the are in the usa, so bring some money. The stores have good candy too that you might want to snack on for the trip

Is this true? When did you try exchanging philippines peso to yen in narita airport. I tried this in 2005, they dont exchange peso to yen.

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

DELTA stands for

Don't

Ever

Leave

The

Airport

Horrible airline to fly..........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Zah, It is just as GREG AND LYN stated. Give the "OR here's some helpful experienced:" a second reading.

I do not transit through Narita so I cannot comment on that airport. I always transit thru HKG as I like to fly Cathay Pacific & prefer to use 1 airline for my entire trip (s).

Enjoy your trip & if there is anything else you want to know - just ask, the members here are very helpful.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

I flew Northwest once. Northwest and Delta Airlines merged.

At NAIA the NWA counter was to the far right as you come out of the first securty check point. Maybe the Delta counter is in the same place. You can easily see the Airline logos overhead. Fall in line to check in your luggage and get your boarding pass. I suggest arriving about 2 hours before your flight just to make sure you have plenty of time. Just follow the people from your line through the door and the next couple security checks. At one point you will fill out more paper and pay the terminal fee. Once at the terminal sit down, wait, and try to relax. They normally call first class flyers to the aircraft first, and then closest to the front of the plane. The earlier you get on the aircraft the easier it is to find overhead space for your carry-on baggage. So you will notice a small race to get in line. :lol:

As a first time flyer you will not notice the lower level of customer service. You will get plenty of food, but the meals will be spaced out to conform with the time differences.

At Narita or Negoya you will have to get your carry-ons and leave the aircraft even if you are on the same one. Just follow the passengers to security. You will go through security and back to the terminal. There will be plenty of Filipinos on your flight till you get to Detroit. Just ask and follow a Filipino going to Detroit. Your boarding pass will tell you which Terminal to go to. The signs are also in English and easy to follow. Some of the Japanese announcers over the intercom will speak English too fast and be hard to understand. Listen carefully or ask someone what they said.

Fill out your I-94 Immigration form about an hour before you land. I made sure I had my own pen. You will do your POE at Detroit.

On your flight from Detroit to Chicago you may be the only Filipino, but not to worry. At Chicago just go to the luggage pickup area. Hopefully, your fiance/husband will be waiting for you there.

Also, listen to the directions carefully before you land in Detroit. NWA was shorthanded and we had to transfer our own luggage. :angry: We barely made the connecting flight to Chicago on time as they had to rush us through security.

This is as detailed as I remember. Hope it helps you.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Get out of your seat a couple of times during the flight. Many times there will be snacks in the back galley. At least go ask for some juice. They will have minor medications if you get a head ache or stomach problem . I actually take a wrap/shawl as they are more comfortable than a sweater. Dress comfortable , if you want to look nice when you land pack fresh clothes in your carry on. Allow a bit of time because a lot of people tie up the bathrooms near the end of the flight.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I fly DELTA all the time internationally and I am impressed they are pretty good. They treat you better on international flights more so than local flights here in the USA...Relax everything will be fine just read all signs and follow all instructions...GOOD Luck on POE

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.