17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.ajc.com/n...ite-579889.html

Army guardsman will reunite with Afghani dog

By Chelsea Cook

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

8:35 p.m. Tuesday, July 27, 2010

On the quiet night of Feb. 11, the forward operating base Dand Pataan, in the Paktia Province of Afghanistan was put on alert with the loud warning barks of stray dogs they had adopted.

A suicide bomber, strapped with 25 pounds of C-4 explosives was approaching the American Army base in the dark. Rufus, Target and Sasha--the dogs that the 50 soldiers of the National Guard's 48th Brigade out of Newnan had quickly befriended - detected the stranger before he got too close.

Sgt. Christopher Duke and four others followed the dogs to the bomber's location. Upon seeing the soldiers and the dogs, the bomber was forced to detonate his explosives before he reached the entrance of the base camp. All five soldiers were injured, and Sasha didn't make it.

Four months later, Rufus and Target are making another transition-- to family.

Through non-profits "Hope for the Warriors" and "A Warrior's Wish", organizations that grant the wishes of injured soldiers back home, Rufus and Target will be flown to Atlanta where they will be reunited with Sergeant Christopher Duke. Duke experienced shrapnel wounds from the suicide bomber's explosion. Duke will take Rufus to his home in Newnan. Target will be reunited later with a unit medic.

According to Robin Kelleher, spokeswoman for Hope for the Warriors, Rufus and Target will be flown into DeKalb-Peachtree Airport on Thursday by Pet Airways, a pet airline service that operates between 10 U.S. cities, including Atlanta.

Hope for the Warriors will cover the estimated $3,000 to get each dog to their new owners, a news release said.

Kelleher said Duke's "wish" is different than others she has received from an injured soldier.

"We've built multiple pools in the homes of injured soldiers for rehabilitation purposes, we recently granted a fairytale wedding in Hawaii for a soldier," Kelleher said. "This is the most unique wish we've ever granted."

How did they track down the stray dogs once Duke and the other soldiers came home?

"Another group replaced the injured men, and the fiancee' of one of those soldiers, she put Hope for Warriors into contact," Kelleher said.

Thursday, Duke's wish will be granted in front of several military families.

"I talked to him today and he just said he wants to get them home," Kelleher said. "'Home.' He calls his home, their home."

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Awesome!

It's a shame they can't do that with Afghani kids.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nice story! :thumbs:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

How many Iraqi and Afghani refugees did American taken in since the war started?

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

nm

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

duplicate post removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

http://www.ajc.com/n...ite-579889.html

Sgt. Christopher Duke and four others followed the dogs to the bomber's location. Upon seeing the soldiers and the dogs, the bomber was forced to detonate his explosives before he reached the entrance of the base camp. All five soldiers were injured, and Sasha didn't make it.

I hope Sasha also got a purple heart....

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

How many Iraqi and Afghani refugees did American taken in since the war started?

google is your friend.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Well, here's an update - the dogs arrived safely today in Atlanta and have been united with their new family. News story and photos here: http://www.ajc.com/news/injured-soldier-reunited-with-581329.html

Well, here's an update - the dogs arrived safely today in Atlanta and have been united with their new family. News story and photos here: http://www.ajc.com/news/injured-soldier-reunited-with-581329.html

:thumbs:

They have a facebook page if anyone is interested:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Puppy-Rescue-Mission/106320572741421

24q38dy.jpg

Timeline

Inappropriate post removed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can always add it back, you know.

i wouldn't suggest it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!