William33

The Eastern Garbage Patch.

18 posts in this topic

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/07/16/the_world_s_worst_ongoing_disasters?page=0,4

Disaster: The Eastern Garbage Patch

Going since: Discovered in 1997

Damage done: Somewhere between California and Hawaii lies the world's largest garbage dump -- a massive soup of plastic and debris one-and-a-half times the size of the United States and 100 feet deep. The "patch" is the product of the North Pacific Gyre, a loop of currents that picks up trash from the West Coast of the United States and East Asia and funnels it into an endless loop in the North Pacific.

Within the patch, pieces of plastic outweigh zooplankton by a factor of 6 to 1, and are often mistaken by fish and birds for food. Chemicals from the plastic can also make their way into the food chain, including fish consumed by humans.

The patch is the most widely publicized example, but this is a global problem. According to the U.N. Environment Program the world's oceans contain 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile. These plastics are responsible for the deaths of more than a million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals every year.

:o

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Scary .

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Damage done: Somewhere between California and Hawaii lies the world's largest garbage dump -- a massive soup of plastic and debris one-and-a-half times the size of the United States and 100 feet deep.

Although many scientists suggest that the patch extends over a very wide area, with estimates

ranging from an area the size of the state of Texas to one larger than the continental United

States, the exact size is unknown.

For a discussion of the problems in determining the exact size based on current sampling

techniques, see Peter Ryan, Charles Moore et al., Monitoring the abundance of plastic

debris in the marine environment. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 27 July 2009 vol. 364 no. 1526

1999-2012, doi: 10.1098/rstb.2008.0207

link

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Within the patch, pieces of plastic outweigh zooplankton by a factor of 6 to 1, and are often mistaken by fish and birds for food

I once mistook a McDonald's burger for food

Well at least we can't blame my company BP for this one

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Turn it into a soggy island for misfit toys.

Think of the tourist potential of a colorful plastic floating island in the Pacific.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

It's trash from East Asia and the US West coast

any word on the apportionment twixt the two ?

blame is good

blame is healthy

Is Jimmy Hoffer floating round in it ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Why do the rightist hate the planet so much? Seriously, I can understand trying to be dissmisive of global warming with their puny brains. But the issue of polution is quite apparent. I don't think anyone with a half ounce of brain can deny that human are poluting the planet and we ought to do something about it.

Why do the rightist hate the planet so much? Seriously, I can understand trying to be dissmisive of global warming with their puny brains. But the issue of polution is quite apparent. I don't think anyone with a half ounce of brain can deny that human are poluting the planet and we ought to do something about it.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Timeline

We could start by halfing this message

a pixel saved is a pixel saved

Where should we start looking for rightists ? I am sure they are not all anti pollution - after all a lot of then own beach front properties who's values will be reduced by rubbish floating around

Hotel owners

Big boat owners

I would have thought rightists would be more invested in clean seas than people living in a project in Detroit

moresheep400100.jpg

We could start by halfing this message

a pixel saved is a pixel savedWhere should we start looking for rightists ? I am sure they are not all anti pollution - after all a lot of then own beach front properties who's values will be reduced by rubbish floating around

Hotel owners

Big boat owners

I would have thought rightists would be more invested in clean seas than people living in a project in Detroit

:lol:

Seriously though, are we really trashing the planet to this degree?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why are the leftists so lazy that they can't be bothered to pick up trash? The Left Coast is as liberal as it gets and they don't seem too concerned about this issue.

Notice it's a big bad corporation like BP that's paying for the cleanup in the Gulf of Mexico filled with southern yahoos.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

We need garbage patch stimulus NOW!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I've wondered this myself. I actually heard Rush say on his radio show that the earth is here for us to "exploit". He used that word. Disgusting.

As far as throwing trash around, I don't think anyone does it better than Texans, at least in this area. I was appalled at the amount of garbage thrown everywhere here. And recycling is widely unavailable, you can't even do it if you want to, in 2010.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
As far as throwing trash around, I don't think anyone does it better than Texans, at least in this area. I was appalled at the amount of garbage thrown everywhere here. And recycling is widely unavailable, you can't even do it if you want to, in 2010.
"Don't Mess With Texas," no man. Where I am (Houston 'burb), recycling pickup is once weekly. I still don't fathom (and am inspired to ask) how the garbage company can separate the paper from the plastic from the whatever that's all thrown into the truck. Unknown whether recycling occurs in Canandaigua, no man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).