Dr. A ♥ O

15.8 million out-of-work Americans

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Wed Jul 21, 12:28 pm ET

Congress to extend jobless benefits, but employment crisis continues

By Rachel Rose Hartman

Although Congress is on the verge of passing another emergency extension of jobless benefits this week, concern continues to grow over how long it could take to dig the country out of its current unemployment crisis.

The U.S. has weathered recessions before, but none in decades have included this many Americans joining the ranks of the "long-term unemployed" (individuals out of work for more than six months). That number is at its highest level "since the government began keeping the statistic in 1948," according to government statistics. The New York Times reports that the latest figures indicate that 46 percent of the 14.6 million Americans who are unemployed have been out of work for more than six months.

If those statistics weren't enough to illustrate the enormity of the long-term unemployment crisis, check out this chart below from the Department of Labor:

median-longterm-unemployment.png

So why aren't people able to return to the workforce? Economists and analysts say there are currently "five job seekers for every job." There simply aren't jobs out there to be filled. Since the current recession began in December 2007, it's estimated that nearly 8 million jobs have been lost. As long as the economy is suffering, employers aren't increasing their staffs and are leaving empty positions vacant.

So how do we get more jobs? Politicians and economists are busy debating the question, but most agree that until employers have incentives to hire, the jobless problem can't be solved quickly.

Many Democrats say more stimulus is required to provide those incentives. They've pushed for the jobless benefit extension because they think it will stimulate the economy and in turn, stimulate employment. "There is no better stimulus than unemployment benefits, as this money quickly flows from those who need help into local economies," Labor Secretary Hilda Solis wrote in a post this month for AOLNews.

But that suggestion irks many, including most Republicans in Congress and some economists: "Not only will increased unemployment benefits not stimulate the economy, they will at the same time lower the incentives for people to work by reducing the amount people are paid for working and increasing the amount people are paid for not working," economist Arthur B. Laffer wrote for the Wall Street Journal.

But statistics show that many unemployed people, including those not receiving benefits, are simply giving up their job searches. One requirement for receiving unemployment benefits is that an individual actively search for work, yet people are continuing to forgo benefits to drop out of the labor market.

The unemployed who stop looking for work become classified as "discouraged," and the number of discouraged workers continues to grow. And these discouraged workers are an added twist to the nation's unemployment problem: Discouraged workers are no longer considered unemployed, which is part of why the 9.5 percent rate of unemployment understates our current crisis. It's also one of the reasons the unemployment rate dropped in June from 9.7 to 9.5 percent. If you add the 1.2 million "discouraged" workers to the 14.6 million unemployed, you have 15.8 million out-of-work Americans.

So when will it end? Estimates vary, but the Federal Reserve says that unless job growth rates improve, it will take five years for the unemployment rate to return to pre-crisis levels.

Source

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Bullshite. Ask the GOP. The only reason why there are 15 million unemployed is because they get to suck on Uncle Sam's teat. If only we'd get rid of UE benefits, we'd be back to full employment in no time at all.

Well said Mr. Big Dog. The GOP is right! People should get off their asses and kill the other 4 applicants to get that job!

That is what the GOP is saying right? :unsure:

Well said Mr. Big Dog. The GOP is right! People should get off their asses and kill the other 4 applicants to get that job!

At least you get points for being honest. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

At least you get points for being honest. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You miss the point.

All I read about is bla blah blah the discouraged can not get a job.

I ask why not?

Tell me. Please.

I know many people MANY and see more and more working 2 jobs to make ends meet. I am workign this week with a girl going to school working 2 part time jobs and babysitting during the summer.

My eldest daughter works in the hospital housekeeping while goign to school to be a nurse (she has 2 kids) her hubbys is now employed but went around doing odd jobs for cash

The white collar worker who is so depressed BOO HOO i can't earn 100k+ now and they want me to flip burgers. whaa big f'ing whaa.

The edumacted scholar who owes 200k to his sink hole of a school no matter how prestiges cant figure out why they should have to work cleaning bathrooms untl they get that dream job the fantasize about everynight.....get up Spanky your It isnt your mothr choice to wipe your A$z the rest of your life and do your laundry.

To the over payed blue collar worker that truly believed his union was doing them a favor demanding all the benefits and extar paynjust got handed a piece of reality; no company can survive if it can not pay share holders. I won't bash you but look don't sit there drinking your Natty Light until the UI runs out go get those 2 jobs make it work until you can reposition yourself unless of course your want to be a sluggo or remain one.

Is there a job shortage yes I believe so but I also believe the people working are more than likely the people willing to do the job and are to busy trying to take responsiility for surviving to blame anyone else.

People used to laugh at how I sling subs for my measley salary (measley in comparison to people here who expect more) but it is a modest income but I bust my butt daily 7 days a week 365 days a year. Franchisee know they can call me anytime, my team knows they can call me anytime my boss can call me anytime and I can call my boss anytime. After losing everything in the '90's it took 16years of harrassment, bashing, embarrasment, over working to get to wear I am today and if I lost it tomorrow I would fight to get it back again because that is who I am. side note I have been gainfully employed 25 years paying into the system except for 6months when I screwed up my life and I do not qualify for UI benefits if I am fired

The unemployed with unrealistic views need to know what it is like to be unemployed in a third world country and have to fight for pennies a day to survive. My knowledge of third world countries is limited to Philipines (maynot be 3rd world) but these people never stop trying to find ways to earn a living. I see more indoustrious people in that country than I do here.

sorry souske this wasnt a rant at you the initial statment was in response to your post.

Timeline

You miss the point.

All I read about is bla blah blah the discouraged can not get a job.

I ask why not?

Tell me. Please.

I know many people MANY and see more and more working 2 jobs to make ends meet. I am workign this week with a girl going to school working 2 part time jobs and babysitting during the summer.

My eldest daughter works in the hospital housekeeping while goign to school to be a nurse (she has 2 kids) her hubbys is now employed but went around doing odd jobs for cash

The white collar worker who is so depressed BOO HOO i can't earn 100k+ now and they want me to flip burgers. whaa big f'ing whaa.

The edumacted scholar who owes 200k to his sink hole of a school no matter how prestiges cant figure out why they should have to work cleaning bathrooms untl they get that dream job the fantasize about everynight.....get up Spanky your It isnt your mothr choice to wipe your A$z the rest of your life and do your laundry.

To the over payed blue collar worker that truly believed his union was doing them a favor demanding all the benefits and extar paynjust got handed a piece of reality; no company can survive if it can not pay share holders. I won't bash you but look don't sit there drinking your Natty Light until the UI runs out go get those 2 jobs make it work until you can reposition yourself unless of course your want to be a sluggo or remain one.

Is there a job shortage yes I believe so but I also believe the people working are more than likely the people willing to do the job and are to busy trying to take responsiility for surviving to blame anyone else.

People used to laugh at how I sling subs for my measley salary (measley in comparison to people here who expect more) but it is a modest income but I bust my butt daily 7 days a week 365 days a year. Franchisee know they can call me anytime, my team knows they can call me anytime my boss can call me anytime and I can call my boss anytime. After losing everything in the '90's it took 16years of harrassment, bashing, embarrasment, over working to get to wear I am today and if I lost it tomorrow I would fight to get it back again because that is who I am. side note I have been gainfully employed 25 years paying into the system except for 6months when I screwed up my life and I do not qualify for UI benefits if I am fired

The unemployed with unrealistic views need to know what it is like to be unemployed in a third world country and have to fight for pennies a day to survive. My knowledge of third world countries is limited to Philipines (maynot be 3rd world) but these people never stop trying to find ways to earn a living. I see more indoustrious people in that country than I do here.

sorry souske this wasnt a rant at you the initial statment was in response to your post.

The problem I have is that in most commentaries, on visa journey and in the media is that maybe 1/8th of the unemployed fit the argument? But that 1/8th becomes the poster child for the "lazy unemployed".

My industry has been hard hit, so I know people all over the place in terms of the economy. 1/3 went back to school (so they aren't even on UI now) another 1/3 have found lower paying jobs and are hanging in there. Most of rest are trying out new ideas and new businesses. Of the 30+ people I know, only one is slacking knowing she'll get UI for longer.

Heck I know a guy who flew to Australia to get a job, then bounced to Singapore before landing a job in Vancouver.

So you'll understand if it makes me a little sick to hear people pouncing on the majority for what a small minority does. Then while they are trying to make the point that all UI users are "lazy" they immediately forget that its not statistically possible for everyone to get a job unless people start f*cking killing each other.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, I'm among the unemployed. Thank goodness my husband got the job he did, or we'd be in hell. I quit applying for my unemployment benefits because there were not even enough jobs in my field to apply for. The system is really screwy. While you're not "required" to apply for unsuitable work (outside of your field, below your qualifications, etc.), you are required to apply for 3 jobs a week. Now, tell me, is that really reasonable in every field? I can tell you that I cannot regularly find listings that match my qualifications in this economy. And when I do, be sure that there are 100+ other applications for it.

As screwed up as it is, it does help some people. I can tell you that most people want to earn their own keep and keeping the record for unemployment is a pain. For most people it does not even cover their living expenses completely. Our economy is not going to recover the best by pulling the rug out from under so many Americans or by forcing them to take minimum wage jobs.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: Timeline

People who stop receiving unemployment insurance payments are for statistical purposes dropped from the labor force and no longer count as unemployed in official calculations of the unemployment rate.

Want to make a dent in that rate? Stop paying them. Kick them right out of the labor force.

Filed: Timeline

Well, I'm among the unemployed. Thank goodness my husband got the job he did, or we'd be in hell. I quit applying for my unemployment benefits because there were not even enough jobs in my field to apply for. The system is really screwy. While you're not "required" to apply for unsuitable work (outside of your field, below your qualifications, etc.), you are required to apply for 3 jobs a week. Now, tell me, is that really reasonable in every field? I can tell you that I cannot regularly find listings that match my qualifications in this economy. And when I do, be sure that there are 100+ other applications for it.

As screwed up as it is, it does help some people. I can tell you that most people want to earn their own keep and keeping the record for unemployment is a pain. For most people it does not even cover their living expenses completely. Our economy is not going to recover the best by pulling the rug out from under so many Americans or by forcing them to take minimum wage jobs.

This is NJ's policy, taken from the state UI website:

This means that if a suitable job is offered to you, you must take it. If you refuse the job, you may be denied benefits for the week in which you refuse the job and for the next three (3) weeks.

Because each person is not the same and has different circumstances, the definition of a "Suitable Job" is fitted to each person, depending on where he or she lives, his or her skills, experience and past salary. While you are unemployed, you will look for a job similar to your last job (distance traveled, job duties and salary). As you remain unemployed, you will be expected to revise your minimum job requirements. For example, you may have to travel a greater distance, accept a different type of job or accept a lower starting salary.

Is the policy where you live significantly different? The policy is based on the idea that if one is so unemployable that one can not find work in a similar job after a lengthy period of unemployment, that one must change ones expectations and accept work in a different field. Do you consider this to be unfair or unreasonable?

Edited by Legacy member

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

No matter how you cut it... 5 candidates per position is not really going to be helped if people get off UI.

And working multiple low paying jobs isn't exactly the way to make ends meet for even the fraction of employed (as I've been on that boat in the past) that are in such a scenario.

PS. Sorry I'm so violent in this thread lol.

HAL 9000 can reduce your oxygen levels a bit to calm you.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

No matter how you cut it... 5 candidates per position is not really going to be helped if people get off UI.

And working multiple low paying jobs isn't exactly the way to make ends meet for even the fraction of employed (as I've been on that boat in the past) that are in such a scenario.

HAL 9000 can reduce your oxygen levels a bit to calm you.

Just don't throw me out a hatch like you did the others :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The problem I have is that in most commentaries, on visa journey and in the media is that maybe 1/8th of the unemployed fit the argument? But that 1/8th becomes the poster child for the "lazy unemployed".

My industry has been hard hit, so I know people all over the place in terms of the economy. 1/3 went back to school (so they aren't even on UI now) another 1/3 have found lower paying jobs and are hanging in there. Most of rest are trying out new ideas and new businesses. Of the 30+ people I know, only one is slacking knowing she'll get UI for longer.

Heck I know a guy who flew to Australia to get a job, then bounced to Singapore before landing a job in Vancouver.

So you'll understand if it makes me a little sick to hear people pouncing on the majority for what a small minority does. Then while they are trying to make the point that all UI users are "lazy" they immediately forget that its not statistically possible for everyone to get a job unless people start f*cking killing each other.

I can understand your frustrated.

I to was scared shiteless for many reasons when I lost my job. I am now way saying everyone fits the mold.

What I am saying there are the crappy part time/temp/fulltime jobs out there to take for now while the search continues.

As a SO try to get a job.. whether your crime was today or 30 years ago it is 10 times harder to be employeed with that stigma. I undertsand that is my fault and I take responsibilty. People would rather hire a person so disabled they cant move from a bed to do a job than hire a SO.

My pont is work dang it just get out there and keep your mind and and body active as well as your work history. Be creative the ####### jobs dont maintain the lifestyle they are used to neither does working 2 ####### jobs but at least they are trying to take responsibiliy for what will happen to them.

If I lost my job today I would have one tomorrow...making the same amount heck no but I would be working and making it happen again.

The minor few you speak of is the most severe slackers but anyone who refuses to work because it isnt in their field or doesnt pay enough is falling into that trap.

You stated you had friends who demonstarted what was neededto get back to work those friends are the ones that will never be down.

hal I agree working 2 jobs even 3 may not support a lifestyle someone was used to but it is called living with in your means abd that is what most people do not do.

I have debt that earns cash flow at the same time I have the saving to pay off that debt if the worse case scenario hits so I can downsize my lifestyle and work crappy jobs as I am seeing other people do.

Is this what someone would want heck no but life is not fair and the wonderful world/country/universe/GOD does not owe us a thing.

souske no apologies neede bro