Dr. A ♥ O

15.8 million out-of-work Americans

103 posts in this topic

Were you caught between jobs?

No, I was caught by the police!

I spent a month in jail and when I came out, I had no job to go back to. Since I was in jail, I can't get unemployment compensation. Since I don't get unemployment compensation, I'm not "unemployed."

Not complaining about any of this, but it's painfully obvious now America is in a serious world of sh!t. About two years ago I changed jobs (different company, same field) and in the process, I was getting offers from all types of jobs and for all different types of wages. People were practically begging me to come work for them. Now, even the low paying jobs are saying, "we'll call you." It's not because of my record, it's because there's literally a stack of applications on their desk. Employers are now to the point where they don't need someone with "experience in the field" they're able to pick and choose until they come across someone with "experience on the TDI-3403 model."

When I apply to a warehouse job and folks are showing up in suits - the economy is f#@ked!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

No, I was caught by the police!

I spent a month in jail and when I came out, I had no job to go back to. Since I was in jail, I can't get unemployment compensation. Since I don't get unemployment compensation, I'm not "unemployed."

Not complaining about any of this, but it's painfully obvious now America is in a serious world of sh!t. About two years ago I changed jobs (different company, same field) and in the process, I was getting offers from all types of jobs and for all different types of wages. People were practically begging me to come work for them. Now, even the low paying jobs are saying, "we'll call you." It's not because of my record, it's because there's literally a stack of applications on their desk. Employers are now to the point where they don't need someone with "experience in the field" they're able to pick and choose until they come across someone with "experience on the TDI-3403 model."

When I apply to a warehouse job and folks are showing up in suits - the economy is f#@ked!

Sorry to hear about that. I will say if I was hiring for a warehouse job and a guy comes in wearing a suit I'd be unlikely to hire them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

..and once again I am dying to know how much money you made when you were working in the sandwich shop. :unsure:

You see, my feeling is that you are what I would consider a fat cat. You made a decent American wage and bought cheap property, because it was available where you are. Conditions are very different in different states/cities and not everyone has the opportunities that you had.

Sandwich shop 10 years ago 23k as assistant manager before that I was a pizza shop manager making roughly the same before that I was a pizza driver making less 6months prior to that in the early 90's I lost a tech job when convicted of a sex crime and became a registered SO. I lost my family and job due to my actions. I took responsibility and worked my Az$ off to ensure my exwife and children were provided for because i did this to them.

I went from pizza driver to manager to sub assistant manager the only way I got a chance was because a friend took a chance on me and it was up to me not to let him or myself down. I became a manager and excelled I was offered a corp job to teach others how to do it. Then I was asked to manager the store openings across the country. My earnings as a GM was 30k - 40k depending on Bonus. I now make about twice that. For me to discuss my pay is in poor taste but you asked. Yes I positioned myslef to purchase property and on these forums I get bashed by people who probably make more than me but are worth less than me I also have saved the money I make and live far below my means.

BTW I was saving my cash to franchisee into the company I work for but now the government is passing another knee jerk law that states I will no law be able to qualify for a SBA loan. So now I have another challenge I will rise up and meet because it is Politically incorrect to defend the rights of a SO.

I feel bad for people who say they cant work or take the advice of someone that says stay in your field it will turn around. Yes IT MAY TURN AROUND BUT WHEN? Do not have to much junk in your resume..I may misunderstand this but coming from the same poster it must mean drain your savings live off government do not change your lifestyle it will turn around.

It is called survival it is up to you to survive a financial crisis so yes you could drain your life saving away and draw UI for 99 weeks and still not have a job and then go on General welfare as your house is taken from you or you watch your children starve or you grow older and realize that dream of yours doesn't come free.

Take any dang job or 2 that you can let the UI benefit supplement what you are earning or the general welfare. keep applying for jobs in your field you want to be in and do not just apply locally. When the employer says why are you working at gas mart (if this is on your resume, because it doesn't have to be) you tell them you make things happen for yourself and

just waiting for a job to come to you isn't your style.

The smart employer will see a person with initiative, responsibility, potential for growth, reliability, go getter, winner, someone that forces success.

I am sorry if people say there are no jobs to take..try these ideas

News paper route

Bike delivery in the cities

delivery person anywhere

pizza maker

waiter/waitress

dishwasher

janitor

window washer

mowing lawns

hauling trash

burger flipper

Wal-Mart greeter

grocery stocker

private sitter for the elderly (semi retired can do this well..3 week CNA program gets you a CNA license)

enlisting in the US military(especially those fresh out of college or high school)

convenience store clerk

movie rental clerk

fast food worker

Handy man

picking fruit

I am in no way telling you that working these jobs will provide you the living you are accustomed too or want and working 2 or 3 of them may not either. Nor am I saying working 2-3 jobs is easy because to me that is the hardest part juggling the schedule.

What I am saying is do not rely on the government becasue we all know they have their own agenda and if it coincides with helping you then so be it.

If you can not find work were you are at then find it else were do not count on the Government to provide you with your dream because in reality no matter what they give you it will not be enough.When the economy does turn around what is the guarantee you will have a job then?

I bash no one here and if your unemployed I feel bad for you I wish there was more I can do for you except tell you from my personal point of view it can be worse and only you can make it better.

Timeline

Sorry to hear about that. I will say if I was hiring for a warehouse job and a guy comes in wearing a suit I'd be unlikely to hire them.

I agree you should dress for the position.

But there is the other side people showing up grunged down has the same affect.

Also depending on the mind set of these suits these may be the go getters that company needs just misdirected in how to apply for that type of position.

I also sort of agree with Slim the economy is in trouble and those better paying jobs (in each field) will have stacks of applications.

Slim have you thought of relocating if you are able to do so?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Everything os going just wonderful, until it threatens a government program that needs dependent people. THEN there are millions more unemployed that we thought and it takes billions more to "save them"

Headlines like

"39 states show job increases!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "There are 15.8 million people that NEED government money" simply make no sense.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

What's crazy with those facts and figures is someone like me - who does not have a job - is not unemployed because I don't get unemployment compensation. It's like I still have a job!

Been there too.

I gave my job up to move to Tenerife and retire. The plan fell through so I went to sign on for unemployment pay. I had been paying £24k pa tax for years so I reckoned I was due to get some out.

The guy in front of me in line sat down and his friend sat next to him. I was 2 feet away and could hear everything so this is NOT hearsay. They were Pakistanis.

Friend: He doesn't speak English so I am translating

Clerk: How Long as he been in the country ?

Friend: He arrived from hong kong yesterday

Clerk: Is he entitled to be in the UK ?

Friend Yes, he hasn't got any papers with him in this country but I can assure you he is legal

Clerk. We will send him a cheque and he should have it Thursday

then I sat down

Clerk: It says here you resigned

Me: yes

Clerk You are not due to anything for 6 weeks - come back then

I swear this is verbatim what happened. You have all heard these rumours and put it down to racists etc but I this is word for word what happened

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Headlines like

"39 states show job increases!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "There are 15.8 million people that NEED government money" simply make no sense.

Why not? You can have increasing payrolls in 39 states and still have millions of people out of work. If there are 18 million people out of work and 3 million jobs are added across 39 states, then you you'd have job increases in 39 states and still a balance of 15 million people out of work. Is basic math really that challenging?

if I was hiring for a warehouse job and a guy comes in wearing a suit I'd be unlikely to hire them.

I would too, but it shows the desperation folks are reaching now.

I am in no way telling you that working these jobs will provide you the living you are accustomed too or want and working 2 or 3 of them may not either. Nor am I saying working 2-3 jobs is easy because to me that is the hardest part juggling the schedule.

This is one of the main reasons so many people stay on unemployment for so long. They will NOT work those jobs because "I can't pay my bills working there." What they forget is the government (and taxpayers) aren't responsible for your bills... you are! So what if you decided to buy a $350,000 house and now can't afford it? Why should we be on the hook for that?

I often hear folks saying, "I can't afford to keep my kids in school and going to the doctor" and all that stuff when they never considered how they'd raise those kids without their job.

Plain and simply put, folks bit off way more than they could chew.

Slim have you thought of relocating if you are able to do so?

I have but I'm on probation right now. Plus, there's a pretty decent job market around here and a pretty low cost of living. I can get by pretty well on $10/hr. While I won't be living in a $250,000 house, I will be living. As pointed out above, it's possible to work hard over the years and make good money again in the future.

there are millions more unemployed that we thought and it takes billions more to "save them"

I like how are job creation programs are creating jobs to the tune of $1.3 million for each job. That's not pay per job, that's how much it costs to create the position. Dare I say the worker's take home is a little less.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Why not? You can have increasing payrolls in 39 states and still have millions of people out of work. If there are 18 million people out of work and 3 million jobs are added across 39 states, then you you'd have job increases in 39 states and still a balance of 15 million people out of work. Is basic math really that challenging?

It's like the Gulf of Mexico which is devastated and will never recover blah blah blah and BP give us 20 billion as we are wiped out and our State is ruined forever

At the same time, the very same people and every city on the gulf is screaming that the beach is beautiful and the sea food is totally healthy and come on down we are ready to give you a great time.

Somebody has to be telling porkies ?

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Bullshite. Ask the GOP. The only reason why there are 15 million unemployed is because they get to suck on Uncle Sam's teat. If only we'd get rid of UE benefits, we'd be back to full employment in no time at all.

UE benefits should never end?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

It's like the Gulf of Mexico which is devastated and will never recover blah blah blah and BP give us 20 billion as we are wiped out and our State is ruined forever

At the same time, the very same people and every city on the gulf is screaming that the beach is beautiful and the sea food is totally healthy and come on down we are ready to give you a great time.

Somebody has to be telling porkies ?

I agree on side or the other is giving the full story.

and the add ons to get a piece of the pie come out of the wood work when a government give away of tax dollars is happening.

It does 2 things it makes more and more people pessimistic towards the government spending programs to help the unfortunate and it makes taxpayers pessimistic towards anyone claims of circumstances whatever it is.

:ot2:

Slim it will be hard and you will have to work harder and be better than the next guy, take initiative (some will call you a brown noser), go the extra mile that is when the employer will see you for who you are and invest in you. It is never easy when yo have a felony conviction but always take responsibility and move forward and make it happen never mind the nay sayers.

Been there too.

I gave my job up to move to Tenerife and retire. The plan fell through so I went to sign on for unemployment pay. I had been paying £24k pa tax for years so I reckoned I was due to get some out.

The guy in front of me in line sat down and his friend sat next to him. I was 2 feet away and could hear everything so this is NOT hearsay. They were Pakistanis.

Friend: He doesn't speak English so I am translating

Clerk: How Long as he been in the country ?

Friend: He arrived from hong kong yesterday

Clerk: Is he entitled to be in the UK ?

Friend Yes, he hasn't got any papers with him in this country but I can assure you he is legal

Clerk. We will send him a cheque and he should have it Thursday

then I sat down

Clerk: It says here you resigned

Me: yes

Clerk You are not due to anything for 6 weeks - come back then

I swear this is verbatim what happened. You have all heard these rumours and put it down to racists etc but I this is word for word what happened

That's not how it works. I'm not sure what you gain by saying this, but one of my past boyfriends worked in the local benefit office and they do not, can not send out checks without the recipient providing documentation.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, I was only asking for that bit of information, not your whole employment history or current salary :)

Sandwich shop 10 years ago 23k as assistant manager

...and as I suspected, your judgment is skewed because you assume that highly educated professional people are the ones who demand 100K+ jobs and will not take anything less, because they need to keep their mansions. That's an illusion. Most professionals start with salaries less than what you are used to and get to make 100K+ late in their career and only very few of them get to that point. Most PhDs are only hoping for a 50K+ salary. IT is an exception, but even that department is suffering.

And no, you don't want a pianist to be moving furniture, a scientist driving taxis etc. That kind of work ruins their resumes and skills forever. Your "go get any job" approach could be good for some people, but not for all.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is that a shot at me? Like I said I will probably do that if I am laid off, but at the moment the security of my current paycheck out ways the risks of managing a studio with tentative clients lined up.

Wasn't a shot, just an idea. Small businesses account for nearly half of America's overall employment,

so it's not totally far-fetched.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg