Obama 2012

Police State: Not Where You Expect: Texas

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So now for just driving down the fvcking road, you will be randomly searched?

WHAT THE **! :angry:

------------

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Texas.DWI.Laws.2.1795648.html

AUSTIN (AP) ― The Texas Legislature should consider changing laws intended to stem drunken driving to include sobriety checkpoints, lawmakers were told at a hearing.

"We need a consistent DWI policy across the state of Texas," said Sen. John Whitmire of Houston, chairman of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee.

Texas had 1,269 deaths in alcohol-related traffic accidents in 2009, according to state figures.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo testified Thursday in favor of temporary sobriety checkpoints and mandatory blood tests for alleged violators. About half of Austin's traffic fatalities each year are alcohol-related, according to Acevedo.

"We are waiting way too long to intervene," said Acevedo. "If we can't intervene in people's lives, we can't change their behavior. It has to start with the first arrest."

Bill Lewis, with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, said innocent citizens already are subjected to random searches, such as when they enter the airport and, more recently at the Texas Capitol.

"I've never tried to sneak a gun through the Capitol or an airport, but I have to go through a checkpoint," said Lewis.

Legislators discussed redoing a DWI program that automatically suspends a driver's license, possibly repealing a surcharge that fines convicted drunken drivers thousands of dollars and creating new treatment programs for first-time offenders.

Lawmakers should consider repealing the Driver Responsibility Program, whose surcharges include a fee of $1,000 annually for three years for first-time driving-while-intoxicated offenders, said Whitmire.

The Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee, chaired by Sen. John Carona of Dallas, will review the program. The Texas Department of Public Safety is working on new rules for the program to ease the surcharges for lower-income drivers, said Carona aide Steven Polunsky.

DPS earlier this year said that Texas had sent out bills for more than $1.7 billion in surcharges through last November, but just $672 million had been collected.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Timeline

This actually sounds pretty mundane. Haven't police always done this kind of thing?

mandatory blood tests on the spot is what bugs me more than any of it...

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Why? They already make you blow into a bag or give a urine sample and if you refuse you get done for the crime anyway.

How is a blood test significantly different?

because you can refuse those and just get arrested.

a few cities have already been testing the blood test idea. They don't just arrest you. They get a bench warrrant to force you to withdraw your blood right then and there at the scene.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This actually sounds pretty mundane. Haven't police always done this kind of thing?

yes, they have

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Texas used to have checkpoints, but the practice pretty much died out and it hasn't been seen here in a decades. It's probably why younger Texans are surprised to hear about this recent move. I really don't remember why they stopped doing it. I travel to Louisiana frequently and the practice is common there. They even print the names, addresses, and criminal charges of suspects arrested in their local newspapers. I've never seen that in Texas newspapers. At least none I read.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Blood test? Jesus Homer fvcking Christ! That does sound like a police state. Who's gonna draw the blood? The police officer? Are they going to be trained? Are they going to use properly cleaned method of drawing blood? What are they going to do with the blood sample? Keep it? Through it on the side of the road? What happens when someone gets AIDS?

Sensible people of TEXAS should oppose this law. I don't mind checkpoints as long. I mean it will keep the road safe and spare lives. Might even catch a few criminals while they're at it.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Blood test? Jesus Homer fvcking Christ! That does sound like a police state. Who's gonna draw the blood? The police officer? Are they going to be trained? Are they going to use properly cleaned method of drawing blood? What are they going to do with the blood sample? Keep it? Through it on the side of the road? What happens when someone gets AIDS?

Sensible people of TEXAS should oppose this law. I don't mind checkpoints as long. I mean it will keep the road safe and spare lives. Might even catch a few criminals while they're at it.

I am thinking they are probably going to use something like what people with diabetes use where it just pricks your finger..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Blood test? Jesus Homer fvcking Christ! That does sound like a police state. Who's gonna draw the blood? The police officer? Are they going to be trained? Are they going to use properly cleaned method of drawing blood?

In Texas they beat you with a billyclub until the blood flows freely and then they mop up a sample. I'm not sure if they sanitize the club before the beating or whether it gets reused after. :devil:

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

does this mean you're not a sensible person as you seem to support it?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I am thinking they are probably going to use something like what people with diabetes use where it just pricks your finger..
Still. I don't want to have to harm myself to comply with some law. However small the harm/pain might be. Noone should agree to this law.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

I am OK with checkpoints, but I do feel blood tests are invasive, especially when they can just do a simple breathalyzer (I realize that is not as accurate as a blood test). If I were a defense attorney, I think I would jump for joy at the roadside blood test thing - how many will get thrown out because of poorly trained police officers? Unless they have an EMT riding with them to draw blood properly, and can prove the blood was stored at the proper temp, that the testing equipment was sterilized properly, etc. etc. it won't be allowed in court.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013