phillybogota

N400, have you ever voted?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Find this whole issue extremely troubling and what in the hell is wrong with this country that I was expected to give my life for. Voter turnout for the 2008 election was only 56.8% like half of the Americans don't ever give a damn who are their leaders, not that they were given much choice. And its not like the OP committed murder, just an honest mistake.

Can recall the day my wife and daughter received their conditional green cards, were jumping up and down with joy, I found that brochure in their envelops and read it, I didn't know a damn thing about green cards, nor the restrictions. Could go down to my super thick immigration file and try to find that brochure, but recall only five things they listed, like carrying your green card when using the restroom at night, and having to give your life to this country if you are a male between the ages of 18-26. But certainly to not recall reading a "do not" list, like voting.

So as a LPR may have to give your life, you sure have to pay taxes, don't believe paying taxes was even mention, and you sure in the hell can't vote, so why don't they tell you that?

In this screwed up country, if a guy is making broom sticks and doesn't put on a warning label, shoving this broom stick up someones butt can cause severe injuries, is held liable for a multi-million dollar lawsuit. Why is the USCIS exempt from this? Government agencies are suppose to be there to serve the people, not to dictate to them! Have to say, my dealings with the USCIS has been a very humiliating experience with my wife having the only means to divorce them was by US citizenship. Yeah, my senator office wanted to talk to her, said, wait a minute, this is MY family they are messing with, and I have full rights to protect my family. It was after that, they let me express our problems.

When I first met my mother-in-law in Bogota, she was depressed not having enough money to pay her property taxes on her $50,000 value home. She said 80 dollars, gave her a hundred and told her to keep the change. But wondered why in the hell I am not living there, we are being robbed blind here with taxes. And if you don't or can't pay them, they kick you out in the street and auction off your home!

With troubling issues like this, tempted to join my wife's country, screw this country with its stupid laws. Newest one here, if I am caught not wearing a safety belt, cop and see that, even though I am only driving 15 mph, our latest speed laws and surrounded by air bags I have to pay extra for, can be fined 200 bucks. My country has gone positively nuts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you have lost your booklet it is available online at Welcome to America Read pages 17 and 18 for the things you are not supposed to do. Voting in federal elections is clearly listed. Oboma fever is probably the worse excuse for forgetting the rules of permanent residence.

Find this whole issue extremely troubling and what in the hell is wrong with this country that I was expected to give my life for. Voter turnout for the 2008 election was only 56.8% like half of the Americans don't ever give a damn who are their leaders, not that they were given much choice. And its not like the OP committed murder, just an honest mistake.

Can recall the day my wife and daughter received their conditional green cards, were jumping up and down with joy, I found that brochure in their envelops and read it, I didn't know a damn thing about green cards, nor the restrictions. Could go down to my super thick immigration file and try to find that brochure, but recall only five things they listed, like carrying your green card when using the restroom at night, and having to give your life to this country if you are a male between the ages of 18-26. But certainly to not recall reading a "do not" list, like voting.

So as a LPR may have to give your life, you sure have to pay taxes, don't believe paying taxes was even mention, and you sure in the hell can't vote, so why don't they tell you that?

In this screwed up country, if a guy is making broom sticks and doesn't put on a warning label, shoving this broom stick up someones butt can cause severe injuries, is held liable for a multi-million dollar lawsuit. Why is the USCIS exempt from this? Government agencies are suppose to be there to serve the people, not to dictate to them! Have to say, my dealings with the USCIS has been a very humiliating experience with my wife having the only means to divorce them was by US citizenship. Yeah, my senator office wanted to talk to her, said, wait a minute, this is MY family they are messing with, and I have full rights to protect my family. It was after that, they let me express our problems.

When I first met my mother-in-law in Bogota, she was depressed not having enough money to pay her property taxes on her $50,000 value home. She said 80 dollars, gave her a hundred and told her to keep the change. But wondered why in the hell I am not living there, we are being robbed blind here with taxes. And if you don't or can't pay them, they kick you out in the street and auction off your home!

With troubling issues like this, tempted to join my wife's country, screw this country with its stupid laws. Newest one here, if I am caught not wearing a safety belt, cop and see that, even though I am only driving 15 mph, our latest speed laws and surrounded by air bags I have to pay extra for, can be fined 200 bucks. My country has gone positively nuts.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When you were in Colombia, who did you vote for?

Which other countries have you visited and who did you vote for?

Duh

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When you were in Colombia, who did you vote for?

Which other countries have you visited and who did you vote for?

Duh

Was very good in Colombia, just a tourist, their jails suck. We never received that 114 page book, did any of you when you first got your conditional green card? Just a tiny pamphlet, wasn't even aware of this "A Guide to New Immigrants" publication. Was aware of "A Guide for Naturalization", searched all over to buy that book, but ended printing out off my computer.

Not even possible to apply for immigration without a computer, that wasn't true even 15 years ago. Also need a computer to dig deep into our IRS laws and just about anything else.

Was very good in Colombia, just a tourist, their jails suck. We never received that 114 page book, did any of you when you first got your conditional green card? Just a tiny pamphlet, wasn't even aware of this "A Guide to New Immigrants" publication. Was aware of "A Guide for Naturalization", searched all over to buy that book, but ended printing out off my computer.

Not even possible to apply for immigration without a computer, that wasn't true even 15 years ago. Also need a computer to dig deep into our IRS laws and just about anything else.

The Guide for new immigrants was mentioned on one of the papers I received from the embassy with the immigrant visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 6 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further discussion. The OP hasn't been back on since 2011. If you have a question about something similar it is best to start a new thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.