kylejb

Using Green Card for the first time

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife and son got their green cards without any issues. Now they have went back to Russia, her home country for a visit with family members. I will be going there in a month and then we all are coming back home together. Is there anything that we have to do to "use" the green card? Has anyone ever experienced any issues using it? (Sorry if I am using the wrong term of "using it").

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My wife and son got their green cards without any issues. Now they have went back to Russia, her home country for a visit with family members. I will be going there in a month and then we all are coming back home together. Is there anything that we have to do to "use" the green card? Has anyone ever experienced any issues using it? (Sorry if I am using the wrong term of "using it").

Thanks.

You shouldn't need to do anything other than have them (and their passports) with them when they go and come back. It's basically just another form of ID that shows that they are a permanent resident. Travel & have fun! :)

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

We just returned from England, my husband using his GC for the first time. Basically everybody that needs to see the passport, wanted to see the GC also. It started when trying to line up to check baggage and get boarding passes. A man at the entry to the line asked if husband had completed ESTA (for visa waiver countries) and he said "no, I'm a permanent resident of the US." So the man asked to see the GC. Then the people that asked the questions..."Did you pack your own bags", etc wanted to see his passport and GC. And so it went until we were on the plane.

I believe it was the first man (about ESTA) who mentioned something about all the names have to match. I asked him what if a woman had a passport in her maiden name, but had married and the GC was in her married name. He said that happens all day long here. A copy of the marriage certificate should be carried showing the name change. So if kylejb's wife has different names on her passport and GC, he might want to take a copy of their marriage certificate for her to have when returning to the USA.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You shouldn't need to do anything other than have them (and their passports) with them when they go and come back. It's basically just another form of ID that shows that they are a permanent resident. Travel & have fun! :)

It is more than basically another form of ID. For the alien, the green card is the entry document. An alien can re-enter on green card alone without a passport. So for the alien at the POE, the passport is basically just another form of ID.

YMMV

Thanks.

Thank you for asking this question. We are traveling back to Nicaragua in August and I have the same question. I usually always carry any important documents or copies...just in case. Enjoy your trip.

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Filed: Other Timeline

Just don't be concerned if they fingerprint you and take a face recognition photo. It's all part of Homeland Security's annoying game and most of us go through it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Ok thanks for all the replies. The names do match what is on the passports. We didn't change the last name for this reason. Way to much to go thru for name changes. Besides, all the SSN and Driver License are already in her last name. So it was easier this way.

Ok, so it should be fine then. Thanks again for the replies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to General Immigration Related Discussion as this isn't an AOS question specifically, more a general Immigration question**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.