Steve and Merly

Not Able to Pay for Visa Appt App in Advance -- Now What???

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My fiancee has her K-1 visa appointment on Tuesday, June 15 in Bogota, Colombia. On the Friday before her appointment, we went to pay the visa fee at the embassy approved bank but were denied because we had not completed the DS-160 form -- a new requirement that is not very clearly explained on the embassy's website.

We were not able to complete the form before the bank closed and Monday is a holiday so now we are in the position of having to show up at the embassy without having made payment in advance, which is required.

I am told we can ask for a waiver from the Embassy but not sure how likely that is to be approved. Our other option is to go to the bank when it opens and arrive 30 minutes later for interview appointment. Maybe there is another solution. Suggestions???

What should we do?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Cramer

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

generally the visa appointments are only that you are authorized to begin standing in line at the appointed time. being a bit late probably won't hurt; or, the beneficiary could get in line with the idea that the USC would be along as soon as the fee is paid.

I believe that the bank is wrong. The DS-160 is not required for K-1 applicants. It says so on the Department of State web site. Read "Frequently Asked Question" #13. Here is the wording:

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

It is important to check the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply for your nonimmigrant visa for information on the application process in place. Embassies and consulates worldwide will transition one-by-one to the DS-160. Therefore, those Embassies which have not yet converted to the new DS-160 online form continue to require all application forms, as necessary.

Based on the latest reports from VJ members in the Philippines forum, we also know that the U.S. Embassy in Manila is not accepting the DS-160 from K-1 visa applicants The U.S. Embassy in Manila web site contains a discussion of the DS-160 which has a link to the "Frequently Asked Questions" on the Department of State web site.

Print out the DOS info and also take the links with you to the bank on Tuesday morning. Maybe this will help.

Also, submit an online DS-160...just in case. However, when oneK-1 VJ member did this, they were emailed back saying that it was not necessary, and to simply submit the regular forms...DS-156 etc.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I believe that the bank is wrong. The DS-160 is not required for K-1 applicants. It says so on the Department of State web site. Read "Frequently Asked Question" #13. Here is the wording:

13. When I apply for a nonimmigrant visa using the online DS-160, are additional forms required?

No, with two exceptions. When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, you will use only one (1) form. For Embassies and Consulates that have converted to this new process, the DS-160 has replaced all of the following forms: DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.

NOTE: The exceptions are Fiancé(e) Visas (K-1/2) which still require use of the forms DS-156 and DS-156K, and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, which is explained in #14 below.

It is important to check the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply for your nonimmigrant visa for information on the application process in place. Embassies and consulates worldwide will transition one-by-one to the DS-160. Therefore, those Embassies which have not yet converted to the new DS-160 online form continue to require all application forms, as necessary.

Based on the latest reports from VJ members in the Philippines forum, we also know that the U.S. Embassy in Manila is not accepting the DS-160 from K-1 visa applicants The U.S. Embassy in Manila web site contains a discussion of the DS-160 which has a link to the "Frequently Asked Questions" on the Department of State web site.

Print out the DOS info and also take the links with you to the bank on Tuesday morning. Maybe this will help.

Also, submit an online DS-160...just in case. However, when oneK-1 VJ member did this, they were emailed back saying that it was not necessary, and to simply submit the regular forms...DS-156 etc.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Kudos for a well researched answer. Unfortunately, in this case I think it's beating the wrong horse. The bank is only following the instructions they got from the consulate. You could probably show them all the DoS rules and regulations you want, but until they get different instructions from the consulate then I doubt they're going to change how they do things. Trying to argue this matter with the bank is also likely to take longer than just providing the form and paying the fee. The OP's problem, at this point, is not the form but the lack of time.

I think Old Dominion has a reasonable plan. USC goes to the bank, and applicant goes to the consulate. In all likelihood, the applicant will still be waiting for the interview when USC arrives at the consulate with the visa fee receipt.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee has her K-1 visa appointment on Tuesday, June 15 in Bogota, Colombia. On the Friday before her appointment, we went to pay the visa fee at the embassy approved bank but were denied because we had not completed the DS-160 form -- a new requirement that is not very clearly explained on the embassy's website.

We were not able to complete the form before the bank closed and Monday is a holiday so now we are in the position of having to show up at the embassy without having made payment in advance, which is required.

I am told we can ask for a waiver from the Embassy but not sure how likely that is to be approved. Our other option is to go to the bank when it opens and arrive 30 minutes later for interview appointment. Maybe there is another solution. Suggestions???

What should we do?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Cramer

You have some good answers here. Check with the bank branches if you can (maybe online) The branch of ProCredit Bank closest to the consulate in Kiev opens at 7am just for this purpose. Maybe a branch there does the same.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Kudos for a well researched answer. Unfortunately, in this case I think it's beating the wrong horse. The bank is only following the instructions they got from the consulate. You could probably show them all the DoS rules and regulations you want, but until they get different instructions from the consulate then I doubt they're going to change how they do things. Trying to argue this matter with the bank is also likely to take longer than just providing the form and paying the fee. The OP's problem, at this point, is not the form but the lack of time.

I think Old Dominion has a reasonable plan. USC goes to the bank, and applicant goes to the consulate. In all likelihood, the applicant will still be waiting for the interview when USC arrives at the consulate with the visa fee receipt.

It should be noted that Steve and Merly have not yet tried to submit a DS-360, and the DS-160 is an online form.

There is a recent report in the Philippines forum by VJ member "oldlipa" where they submitted their DS-160 online to the U.S. Embassy in Manila, and they received a return email informing them that a DS-160 is not required for K-1 fiancée visa applicants. The Embassy told them to use the old forms instead. Click here for the link to that thread.

I'm wondering whether Steve and Merly will receive the same message from their Embassy when they submit their DS-160. If they do, then what?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here is another item that has come up since the fee increase. There is conflicting information on the Kiev website about how to pay this new fee. It appears that Pro Credit Bank will only accept $130 - $140 dollars and the remainder must be paid at the consulate. It also states on the State Dept website that the entire fee should be paid at the consulate. Does anyone know what's up with this?

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Here is another item that has come up since the fee increase. There is conflicting information on the Kiev website about how to pay this new fee. It appears that Pro Credit Bank will only accept $130 - $140 dollars and the remainder must be paid at the consulate. It also states on the State Dept website that the entire fee should be paid at the consulate. Does anyone know what's up with this?

I think this question is probably worthy of having it's own thread, or it may have already been answered in the Russia Ukraine and Belarus forums...you'll probably get more answers that way. I don't know the answer my self.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I think this question is probably worthy of having it's own thread, or it may have already been answered in the Russia Ukraine and Belarus forums...you'll probably get more answers that way. I don't know the answer my self.

I agree that it needs it's own thread.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It should be noted that Steve and Merly have not yet tried to submit a DS-360, and the DS-160 is an online form.

There is a recent report in the Philippines forum by VJ member "oldlipa" where they submitted their DS-160 online to the U.S. Embassy in Manila, and they received a return email informing them that a DS-160 is not required for K-1 fiancée visa applicants. The Embassy told them to use the old forms instead. Click here for the link to that thread.

I'm wondering whether Steve and Merly will receive the same message from their Embassy when they submit their DS-160. If they do, then what?

Then they play it safe it prepare both the DS-160 online, and bring the DS-156/DS-156K/DS-157 to the interview. This isn't a matter of arguing which forms are correct. This is a matter of a time crunch. They might have had time to argue with the bank about the forms a month ago, but now they have only an hour or two on Tuesday morning to get this resolved. They should give the bank whatever they want, even if it's not technically required by the consulate, just so they can get the visa fee receipt in time for the interview.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Then they play it safe it prepare both the DS-160 online, and bring the DS-156/DS-156K/DS-157 to the interview. This isn't a matter of arguing which forms are correct. This is a matter of a time crunch. They might have had time to argue with the bank about the forms a month ago, but now they have only an hour or two on Tuesday morning to get this resolved. They should give the bank whatever they want, even if it's not technically required by the consulate, just so they can get the visa fee receipt in time for the interview.

I agree that they should give the bank whatever they want since they are under a time crunch. However, my concern is that the bank will want a DS-160 confirmation which, as I understand it, the Embassy is supposed to email back to the beneficiary after the beneficiary emails the Embassy the DS-160. In other words, if the beneficiary does not have a printout of the Embassy's DS-160 confirmation, the bank won't accept payment. What a dilemna!

Timeline

Thanks, everyone. Your suggestions are very helpful, but the one that seemed most promising by Old Dominion is not doable. My fiancee needs to be present at the bank at the time of payment. The bank actually marks her passport with a receipt of some kind. So the idea of me handling the payment while she stands in line at the Embassy is not possible.

At this point, I think our best hope is arriving early and pleading for a waiver or time to go to the bank based our understandable confusion over payment procedures. The bank who denied us suggested that we explain or situation and ask for a 2-day fee waver. The outdated instructions on the Embassy website only tell you to bring 2 copies of your DS-156 form as proof of your appointment, etc.

Thanks, everyone. Your suggestions are very helpful, but the one that seemed most promising by Old Dominion is not doable. My fiancee needs to be present at the bank at the time of payment. The bank actually marks her passport with a receipt of some kind. So the idea of me handling the payment while she stands in line at the Embassy is not possible.

At this point, I think our best hope is arriving early and pleading for a waiver or time to go to the bank based our understandable confusion over payment procedures. The bank who denied us suggested that we explain or situation and ask for a 2-day fee waver. The outdated instructions on the Embassy website only tell you to bring 2 copies of your DS-156 form as proof of your appointment, etc.

The two-day fee waiver sounds like a great plan. That way, it will buy you time to take care of this messy business with the DS-156 / DS-160.

By the way, when you submitted your DS-160 online, were you able to print out a confirmation page? Does the bank require the confirmation page, which I understand has a bar code on it?

When you submitted your DS-160 online, did the Embassy email you about it? If so, what did they say?

Please keep us posted.

Timeline

You are emailed a confirmation with a barcode. You can also print it, as well as a copy of your application. Thanks again everyone for your support. I will let you know how it goes!

Best,

Steve

You have some good answers here. Check with the bank branches if you can (maybe online) The branch of ProCredit Bank closest to the consulate in Kiev opens at 7am just for this purpose. Maybe a branch there does the same.

LOL... wow a lot of immigrants coming from Ukraine, huh?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.