Vivi6

Unrestricted SSN

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi All,

I tried to reasearch some topics but I couldn't find a straight answer. Can you get an unrestricted SSN (without "valid for work only with DHS authorization") with your EAD card or do you wait for the GC?

Also, if I have EAD and find a job, is it ok if I still have my unrestricted SSN? I am asking because I have a job offer and they are just waiting for my EAD to hire me (EAD was approved and should come in 2 weeks or so i hope!). I want to make sure my SSN+EAD is all I need to be hired or if I need the new SSN card. Does the employer need to change anything in the forms once I receive the GC?

As background, I've had my SSN since 2007 when I worked in LA for 1 year with a J1 visa, so I didn't have to apply for it when I moved to get married.

Thanks a lot for your help and I hope I am not being TOO redundant with this post! :blush:

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

need GC for the language to be removed

I second that. Untill you get the green card, you'll have to keep renewing the EAD to make sense of the language on the SSC. As soon as you get your green card, you can apply for a new card (same ss#) and this will not have that wording on it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Luckily, you need to have your card changed. In most cases you won't have to show your card, you just have to submit your SS number. (My SS card still reads: "Not valid for Employment.") You might want to do this eventually, but it's not an urgent issue.

The EAD is your work authorization and in combination with the SSN you already have you should be good to go.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Technically, it is possible, but the chances of it happening I would say slim without the I-551 stamp or card.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

4. Alternate evidence of LAPR status

a. Employment Authorization Document (I-766) with SAVE LAPR Verification Response

Generally, when DHS grants/approves an adjustment to LAPR status, the alien receives his/her I-551 card several weeks after the adjustment to LAPR status has been granted. In these cases, while the alien is awaiting the I-551 card, SAVE will verify the alien’s LAPR status, since it is the current immigration status.

Under DHS guidance, we have established alternate evidence of LAPR status for those applicants who have adjusted to LAPR status and are awaiting their I-551 cards. These guidelines apply even if the applicant does not indicate he/she has adjusted to status. Based on discussions with DHS, the alternate evidence of LAPR status will only apply to the 10 most prevalent alien categories that adjust to LAPR status.

Establish evidence of LAPR status if the following requirements are met:

-- The applicant submits an I-766 and

-- On the face of the I-766 card, the Category agrees with RM 00203.410B.4.b. in this section, and

-- SAVE verifies LAPR status.

b. Required I-766 Categories

Under the alternate evidence of LAPR status policy described in RM 00203.410B.4. in this section, if an I-766 card is submitted, on the face of the I-766 card the Category shown must be one of the following (status indicated in parenthesis):

-- A3, A03 or A-3 (REFUGEE),

-- A4, A04 or A-4 (PAROLEE),

-- A5, A05 or A-5 (ASYLEE),

-- A6, A06 or A-6 (FIANCEE – K1/CHILD – K2)

-- A9, A09 or A-9 (SPOUSE/CHILD OF USC)

-- A15 (LAPR DEPENDENT – V)

-- A16 (VSFT/T1)

-- C9, C09 or C-9 (ADJUSTMENT APPLICANT)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All,

I tried to reasearch some topics but I couldn't find a straight answer. Can you get an unrestricted SSN (without "valid for work only with DHS authorization") with your EAD card or do you wait for the GC?

Also, if I have EAD and find a job, is it ok if I still have my unrestricted SSN? I am asking because I have a job offer and they are just waiting for my EAD to hire me (EAD was approved and should come in 2 weeks or so i hope!). I want to make sure my SSN+EAD is all I need to be hired or if I need the new SSN card. Does the employer need to change anything in the forms once I receive the GC?

As background, I've had my SSN since 2007 when I worked in LA for 1 year with a J1 visa, so I didn't have to apply for it when I moved to get married.

Thanks a lot for your help and I hope I am not being TOO redundant with this post! :blush:

There is no such thing as an "unrestricted SS card" SS cards do NOT authorize work, even US citizens MUST show legal documents in order to work. You do NOT need to show a SS card. Alla has several jobs, several clients actually as she is technically self employed, but all her clients require she show proof she can work in the USA (several of her clients are government agencies including the USCIS and CBP). She shows her green card. Her SS card is in her desk drawer and stays there. It says she needs authorization to work...a green card or EAD. Our son has a SS card with no "warning" on it...he shows his green card to get a job. I show my passport. EVERYONE shows something and it ISN'T the SS card.

I do not even have a SS card, I lost it in 1973 and never replaced it. Memorize the number, show your green card (or EAD) and don't worry what the card says.

Luckily, you need to have your card changed. In most cases you won't have to show your card, you just have to submit your SS number. (My SS card still reads: "Not valid for Employment.") You might want to do this eventually, but it's not an urgent issue.

The EAD is your work authorization and in combination with the SSN you already have you should be good to go.

Right on Bob. Once you memorize the number, you could put your CARD through a shredder and it would not affect your life in the least.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you have the 'VALID ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION' on your SS card you need to go to the local SS and update it.

I had a SSN while I was in the US on a F-1 where I was permitted to work only on-campus jobs. I applied last week for it to be updated to get an 'unrestricted' one. They looked at my visa, passport and marriage certificate and updated their system. They said I should receive it in 10-14 days.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Today I got a new SSN card with "valid for work only with DHS authorization" REMOVED.

That new card doesn't count as 10 for lifetime, right?

Today I got a new SSN card with "valid for work only with DHS authorization" REMOVED.

That new card doesn't count as 10 for lifetime, right?

No, but why are you worry about the ten card lifetime limit? I have the same card that was issued to me 40 years ago. I can see a person maybe losing their card once or twice, but not nine times.

There is no such thing as an "unrestricted SS card"

It is restricted in that it can't be used as a work authorization document as an unrestricted card can. Plus if you have the type card that has "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" printed on it an SSA receives a report of wages earned on that number SSA is to notify DHS, so I would say that is a restriction.

GN 03313.095 Disclosure to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0203313095

A. Policy

2. Disclosure for DHS, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Purposes

b. Disclosure to DHS, USCIS Concerning Wages Posted to SSNs Issued for Non-Work Purposes

Post-1997 Earnings Posted to SSNs Issued for Non-Work Purposes

SSA is required under 8 U.S.C. 1360©(2) (Immigration and Nationality Act) to disclose the following information to DHS, USCIS about aliens having earnings posted to SSNs issued for non-work purposes after January 1, 1997:

-- the name and address of the alien,

-- the name and address of the person reporting the earnings, and

-- the amount of earnings.

SSA makes these disclosures to DHS, USCIS, annually in electronic form.

My SS card was issued in 1991, one year before I even moved to the US. It reads "Not valid for employment" just as you stated. I've been paying income taxes continuously since 1993 without ever having a problem due to the card's notation. I will not exchange this card, ever, as there is really no need for it. Why?

1) Usually, the card does not need to be shown; only the number needs to be submitted, and the number never changes.

2) If the card needs to be shown, the employment authorization is easily demonstrated by showing the Green Card and, later, the US passport.

The SS card itself does not provide work authorization as the SSA is not giving work authorization to the immigrant, but the USCIS does.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

My SS card was issued in 1991, one year before I even moved to the US. It reads "Not valid for employment" just as you stated. I've been paying income taxes continuously since 1993 without ever having a problem due to the card's notation. I will not exchange this card, ever, as there is really no need for it. Why?

Not you, but other people might run into a problem when applying for benefits having that type of card and not updating the SSN record. At the very least they will need to apply for one of the other types of cards.

RS 00301.102 Additional Requirements for Alien Workers- Social Security Protection Act of 2004

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300301102

B. Policy — Provisions of Section 211 of the SSPA

2. Overview- what are the requirements of Section 211 of the SSPA?

Under Section 211 of the SSPA, an alien worker whose Social Security Number (SSN) was originally assigned on or after January 1, 2004, must meet one of the following additional requirements to be fully or currently insured and in order to establish entitlement to any Title II benefit or ESRD Medicare based on the alien worker's earnings:

1.The alien worker must have been issued an SSN for work purposes at any time on or after January 1, 2004.

Didn't know about that one. Won't exchange my card nonetheless but am always willing to learn and appreciate the opportunity.

Great catch.

Didn't know about that one. Won't exchange my card nonetheless but am always willing to learn and appreciate the opportunity.

Great catch.

Like I said it's not going to affect you.

NOTE: An alien worker whose SSN was assigned before January 1, 2004 is exempt from the requirements of Section 211 of the Social Security Protection Act, even if the SSN was not “work authorized.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.