Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh Krikit... that's horrible for your SIL... sorry to have read that.

Oh and Huggles... me too, I was wondering how that was going as I too am getting TONS of calls from insurance places wanting to give me a job. I'm a little scared to do something like that. I'd prefer to stick with production work and Graphic design... but I'd be interested as to how it's going for you.

Welcome back, Minnew!

Huggles! How goes the new job? I put my resume out on careerbuilder and I've been getting emails from insurance companies to come work for them. Any insight or suggestions to offer? I'm thinking it's not something I would do but I'd love to hear from someone who's actually doing it.

Since you're so close to the Grand Canyon (relatively), have you thought about doing that?

On a sad note..... my SIL was leaving a doctor's appt yesterday where he confirmed her first pregnancy when she was broadsided by a nurse coming off the night shift. She lost the baby. :(

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Wow, sorry to hear about that krikit!! I work nights as wel land I tell ya, sure not safe to drive at times after a shift. I have fallen asleep stopped at intersections and I know many of my night shift co-workers that have been in accidents! Not an excuse though, Hope she pulls through!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your SIL krikit, what a terrible thing for her to go through. (F)

Wow, sorry to hear about that krikit!! I work nights as wel land I tell ya, sure not safe to drive at times after a shift. I have fallen asleep stopped at intersections and I know many of my night shift co-workers that have been in accidents! Not an excuse though, Hope she pulls through!

Driving while tired is becoming a big problem! Some research has shown it to be just as dangerous as drunk driving but unfortunately most of us don't see it that way ...yet.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your SIL krikit, what a terrible thing for her to go through. :D

Driving while tired is becoming a big problem! Some research has shown it to be just as dangerous as drunk driving but unfortunately most of us don;t see it that way ...yet.

Oh I agree it prob is!! I know many times I have found myself "waking up" while driving! Scares the ####### out of ya! Some times I do pull over and take a nap! Quite often I buy a coffee for the trip home! With no traffic, my drive is only 20 minutes, BUT quite often its closer to 45 min with traffic, sometimes close to 1.5 hr. I only live 16 miles away, HATE DC ,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Sorry for your SIL, Krikit.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

As for working for insurance companies, I see lots of adds saying they will train and it had me curious too.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Poor thing. She's been talking for so long about starting a family. :(

I'm sure the person who drove into her is feeling just as devastated as my SIL. Mind you, I don't know if she would know, though. Anyway, I feel bad for both of them. :(

Last month when I was driving back from Canada to VA, I was driving behind a woman on the I-90 in NY State when she fell asleep behind the wheel. She began to drift over to the passing lane and I was thinking to myself "I wonder why she's changing lanes when there's no one in front of her?" Then she went off the road and woke up at that point, over-corrected, and went careening back across the highway in front of me with the van going up on two wheels from side to side like it was going to flip. I slammed on my brakes while praying that the tractor trailer coming up behind me was going slow enough to stop. Anyway, she went straight down the steep embankment and came to rest against the trees 20 ft away facing the opposite direction. I stopped on the side of the road, threw the car into park, jumped out and started running to the scene. I had tears streaming down my face. I thought I was going to see a dead woman and have to perform first aid. She and her passenger were stunned and dazed, but otherwise okay. I waited for the police to get there so they could question me, and then I sat in the car to calm down before getting back on the road. I REALLY could have used a cigarette had I been a smoker. LOL LOL. The police officer told me it happens all the time. :(

iagree.gif

OMG what an adventure Kritkit... glad everyone was ok in that case. So very sorry about your SIL though. :( That's heartbreaking... I hope she's able to pull through and eventually try for a baby again. Though, it will definitely never be the same. I can only imagine...

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Huggles! How goes the new job? I put my resume out on careerbuilder and I've been getting emails from insurance companies to come work for them. Any insight or suggestions to offer? I'm thinking it's not something I would do but I'd love to hear from someone who's actually doing it.

Since you're so close to the Grand Canyon (relatively), have you thought about doing that?

I actually love it! Seriously. I was really skeptical going in, but just 7 weeks into the job, I really feel like I've learned a whole lot and I'm really progressing well. It may not be something I want to do for the next 25 years, but I'm not that kind if person anyways- I don't think I'd be happy doing anything for 25 years. The field is actually really interesting, there are a lot of technicalities and legalities that are pretty interesting to sort out and learn. I work for an independent agency, so we write with a few different insurance companies, not just 1, so I get to learn the differences between a lot of different carriers and which one is better suited to which risk. So, when someone calls and wants a quote, we generally run them with 3 or more of our carriers to find the most competitive price. When policies renew and prices increase, we re quote and often rewrite with a new carrier. I find there is a ton of loyalty involved in that. Most people really trust our ability to get them the best rates, and just 6 weeks in I get a lot of calls from people asking for me specifically. It's crazy how much of a client base I've built up in a short period of time, and I'm not even licensed yet. The only thing I can't do without a license is give people advise, or present new business quotes. I can write the business, I just can't sell it. Very strange, but they are afraid of a lawsuit- if I give bad advise and I'm not licensed, things won't end well... :lol:

I went in knowing nothing about insurance and now I'm able to give friends and family insurance advise. You'd be surprised how many people are absolutely clueless and walk around with completely horrible coverages. I was also able to sit down and scrutinize my own policies and found some things I didn't like! For example, state farm was giving us $15,000 coverage on our detached 2.5 car garage. If that thing burns down tomorrow, I'm not going to be able to rebuilt it for that. So silly. So, long point short, I find it pretty empowering. And, If I want to move on 10 years down the road at least I'll retain all that helpful knowledge. AND, the company is paying for my license, all of my classes, educational tools... It's a pretty good situation I think.

I am not quite sure where you are located in Colorado but if you haven't made it yet, try to visit Manitou Springs and the Garden of the Gods. It is an incredible place and about 1 1/2 hours drive south of Denver I believe (about 20 minutes west of Colorado Springs). The community was founded on a Spa Hotel and the hotel still remains. Driving through the Garden of the Gods - or if you are up to it, taking a horse back ride through (which is what we did) is pretty spectacular. You can also take a tram type of train up Pike's Peak as well as it is pretty close by (I didn't because of altitude problems but if I lived there I definitely would have). As I said, I am not sure where you are in Colorado - but I know I would go back there in a hearbeat - it is just an absolutely phenomenal place. Maybe you can book a night at the Spa hotel itself. The mineral waters still flow and there are 3 distinct types - all of them are accessible at public drinking fountains downtown. Here is a link to the site: http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1 and http://www.gardenofthegods.com/ and here is information about Manitou Springs: http://www.manitousprings.org/

Bill and I live in Colorado Springs, and I actually work in Old Colorado City. Not sure if you've been there, but it's fairly close to Manitou... It's like the last part of the city before you start getting up into the mountains. On a clear day I can see the Garden of the Gods from the street! It's actually a really cool place to live and work. We went to Manitou a week or two ago and it was my first time there, and It's definitely very nice. It's like a taste of the past! One thing I really want to do but haven't yet is take the train up Pikes Peak. I've driven up a couple times, but was never able to make it all the way to the top because of weather. I actually live ridiculously close, I can see Pikes peak from my front yard, and I still haven't been to the top! I think the train is a really good idea. It's expensive but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for the tip! :)

I just found out the other day that apparently Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was supposed to be set here? How hilarious! :lol:

Anytime your or Krikit are back in the Manitou/Pikes Peak/Garden of the Gods region let me know! :D

Timeline

Bill and I live in Colorado Springs, and I actually work in Old Colorado City. Not sure if you've been there, but it's fairly close to Manitou... It's like the last part of the city before you start getting up into the mountains. On a clear day I can see the Garden of the Gods from the street! It's actually a really cool place to live and work. We went to Manitou a week or two ago and it was my first time there, and It's definitely very nice. It's like a taste of the past! One thing I really want to do but haven't yet is take the train up Pikes Peak. I've driven up a couple times, but was never able to make it all the way to the top because of weather. I actually live ridiculously close, I can see Pikes peak from my front yard, and I still haven't been to the top! I think the train is a really good idea. It's expensive but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for the tip! :)

I just found out the other day that apparently Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was supposed to be set here? How hilarious! :lol:

Anytime your or Krikit are back in the Manitou/Pikes Peak/Garden of the Gods region let me know! :D

I know exactly where you are! Old Colorado City is really neat. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (a series that I watch and really enjoy) was set in Colorado Springs and from what I was told when I visited, it was filmed just outside of Old Colorado City. I smile when I hear references in the series to the spa hotels in Manitou. I remember on my last day in Colorado we had dinner at a lovely Indian restaurant in Old Colorado City. Good memories :-).

Oh, well - I guess Garden of the Gods is too close to consider for a getaway - although a weekend spa visit could still happen:-). For sure, if I ever end back in that area (it would be one of my choices for retirement, actually) I will definitely let you know. I have friends who live in Manitou, Colorado Springs and north in Louisville and Denver areas.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Ah, house flies :)! Cheap cat toys :D !!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Good morning. star_smile.gif

I woke up hours earlier than I thought I would. lol. I spent the day, yesterday, doing heavy labour for 10-12 hours. Every muscle in my body is aching. But it feels good. :) So, anyway, I've been showered and been shopping. Picked up some fresh bread and eggs so we shall have toasted bacon and egg sarnies for breffrus. I also got a crusty loaf to go with the potato soup I made last night for today. I think I'm going shopping at 8am more often. I was the only person in the store. lol. Oh. I also picked up some Passion Flakies for dessert this evening. That one's for Rob. :P

Of course, I stopped by The Hortons and picked up a coffee. I have upgraded to x-large these past few days. I found I needed it to keep me going. lol. Either that or it's the American influence of bigger is better. lol

Tonight my mother and I are going into the city to see my cousin's daughter's dance rehearsal. She's 5 so it should be ridiculously funny. I'm rather shocked that it starts at 7pm, though. These kids have school in the morning. huh.gif Does anyone else think it's weird that small kids are out at all hours these days? I mean, I see them having late night meals in restaurants or in the shops like Walmart that are open late. It's crazy. And then the parents wonder why the kids are screaming and crying. Holy #######, man. Put your kids to bed! Poor things.

iagree.gif

Timeline

You seem very chipper for so early in the morning, must be all that coffee :hehe:

Yes 7 is a late start time, especially since it's Sunday you would think they would start it a bit earlier.

What were you doing yesterday?

Sorry that happened to your SIL krikit, that's really sad.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.