Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Well, there certainly is nothing to feel sorry for. It's not like i'm being exiled to Zimbabwe. It will be an adjustment for sure. She did it for me, so the least I can do is move for her. Besides, living in L.A. is kind of insane when you are thinking about starting a family. Homes are just too expensive here, and the cost of living is just too high to sustain.

I went to roadtocanada and well, that gives new meaning to 'ghost town'. :help:

On the bright side, start to finish Im told that a married couple can be done with the process of getting to Canada in 3 months. So you can be here by the end of summer.

I DO know what Huggles means about the insanity that an area thats packed with people can be like. Im close to Toronto, and the traffic here is just stupid, even when there isnt any rush hour going on the roads are bumper to bumper, people cuttin each other off, slamming on brakes for no real reason its insane. I read something recently that compared the GTA to LA and New York for traffic, I believe it since Ive driven in New York and its pretty dang close.

Im happy I'll be heading more towards the Central coast, Santa Maria is a little less hot, better traffic, still has pretty decent diversity and I can still drive to LA if I want to make the trip ;)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

On the bright side, start to finish Im told that a married couple can be done with the process of getting to Canada in 3 months. So you can be here by the end of summer.

I DO know what Huggles means about the insanity that an area thats packed with people can be like. Im close to Toronto, and the traffic here is just stupid, even when there isnt any rush hour going on the roads are bumper to bumper, people cuttin each other off, slamming on brakes for no real reason its insane. I read something recently that compared the GTA to LA and New York for traffic, I believe it since Ive driven in New York and its pretty dang close.

Im happy I'll be heading more towards the Central coast, Santa Maria is a little less hot, better traffic, still has pretty decent diversity and I can still drive to LA if I want to make the trip ;)

That's good to know that the timeframe isn't too bad. Unfortunately, we've got some logistical issues and loose ends that need to be taken care of. So, that means time apart. It really is kind of depressing looking at real estate sites and rental websites for London, ON. For what we are paying in rent here for a tiny apartment west of PCH, we could practically get a 4 bedroom condo with a backyard in London. I'm looking forward to it all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, there certainly is nothing to feel sorry for. It's not like i'm being exiled to Zimbabwe. It will be an adjustment for sure. She did it for me, so the least I can do is move for her. Besides, living in L.A. is kind of insane when you are thinking about starting a family. Homes are just too expensive here, and the cost of living is just too high to sustain.

I went to roadtocanada and well, that gives new meaning to 'ghost town'. :help:

Rob, here is the link to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Basically, everything you need to know can be found on this website (unlike USCIS :D ). On the left hand column you will see several options. Choose 'immigrate' . When that page opens up go to the bottom of the options and choose 'sponsoring your family'. Basically read over that and all of the links, including the links to the forms and to the instructions. You can order in a package which will have all of the information and applications you need. You basically have two options: Your wife sponsors you to immigrate to Canada through 'Out of the Country' processing where the applications are submitted to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, NY. When everything is completed, you would then move north and activate your Permanent Residence status when you cross the border. Or, you could move north now with you entering the US as a visitor, then your wife would sponsor you to become a Permanent Resident from inside Canada. There are benefits and liabilities to each process. The faster way is to do the process from outside of Canada, If you choose the 2nd way you would not be able to work until your application has been approved in principle and it does take a number of months longer. Read over the site - you should find everything you need to know there. Good luck.

btw - London is near my old stomping grounds of Chatham. It's a nice part of Ontario and a great city in which to live. You will find some adaptation yes, but there are a lot of pluses to living in London, Ontario.

Oops - need to include the website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I spent a week in So Cal back in 2008 and there's no way this small town Canadian could live there. It's just insane. Tons of people, everything costs a fortune, you can't get anywhere without getting caught in a traffic jam, it's stupid hot... I could keep going! :lol: I can imagine it would be a really hard adjustment to make.

That's probably why I don't like it. The food? Sure, that's nice, but we can't afford to eat out much anyways, and there was variety back home. And I'm sick of Mexican food, and that still seems pretty abundant here. :unsure: The beach? Sure that's ok, but meh? I'm not a beach-bum. I like it for walking on and being by the ocean and what not, but I'm not the type to lounge on the beach for hours on end. I don't like being in a bathing suit, and I don't surf. We also don't have $ to go out and enjoy many of the things to do around here. We do what we can, but those things are all things that can be done on yearly visits to my husband's parents anyway. Not for sustaining day-to-day living. The EXPENSE of being here is just ridiculous and unjustified. Everyone here has this air of entitlement and are all raising spoiled kids. Yes, that's a generalization, but I don't like it. There aren't really tons of people in the city I live in, but we still get horrible traffic jams due to only two (kinda three, but one is slightly out of town) main arteries for crossing a very rectangularly-shaped town. I like their policy of no high-rise buildings, so it's a different atmosphere than the L.A. metropolis, but still. And don't get me started on the employment thing (or lack thereof). :angry: Meh, I say. MEH.

I'll stop complaining now. I might change my mind once paychecks are rolling in. :lol: Or if I like.. get some friends.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

That's good to know that the timeframe isn't too bad. Unfortunately, we've got some logistical issues and loose ends that need to be taken care of. So, that means time apart. It really is kind of depressing looking at real estate sites and rental websites for London, ON. For what we are paying in rent here for a tiny apartment west of PCH, we could practically get a 4 bedroom condo with a backyard in London. I'm looking forward to it all.

You're from London originally, aren't you? I miss it so... I grew up near Kathryn's mentioned area of Chatham, but was in London off and on (mostly on) for the last 10 years. It's a lovely city. It has it's negatives too, but what doesn't.

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's probably why I don't like it. The food? Sure, that's nice, but we can't afford to eat out much anyways, and there was variety back home. And I'm sick of Mexican food, and that still seems pretty abundant here. :unsure: The beach? Sure that's ok, but meh? I'm not a beach-bum. I like it for walking on and being by the ocean and what not, but I'm not the type to lounge on the beach for hours on end. I don't like being in a bathing suit, and I don't surf. We also don't have $ to go out and enjoy many of the things to do around here. We do what we can, but those things are all things that can be done on yearly visits to my husband's parents anyway. Not for sustaining day-to-day living. The EXPENSE of being here is just ridiculous and unjustified. Everyone here has this air of entitlement and are all raising spoiled kids. Yes, that's a generalization, but I don't like it. There aren't really tons of people in the city I live in, but we still get horrible traffic jams due to only two (kinda three, but one is slightly out of town) main arteries for crossing a very rectangularly-shaped town. I like their policy of no high-rise buildings, so it's a different atmosphere than the L.A. metropolis, but still. And don't get me started on the employment thing (or lack thereof). :angry: Meh, I say. MEH.

I'll stop complaining now. I might change my mind once paychecks are rolling in. :lol: Or if I like.. get some friends.

I was always planning to move to LA (area) for years. I still go and visit a few times a year, but after all my friends who have moved away or moved there and then back because of the horrid unemployment rate I figured now is just not the time. Plus as you guys have said living there is horrible. Know a friend who lives in a 4 bedroom house with roomates and is still paying $800 for a single room and this is in the valley in North Hollywood which isn't exactly the nicest part of the valley. My friend who lives in Hollywood has been unemployed for almost a year now and is thinking of movie to Wisconsin for a job, my other friend in San Diego, she doesn't know what do to since she's a nanny and her tenure is about up (maybe move here with me :) ) and then many other friends that realize it takes a lot of money to just survive there...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OH my gosh, laugh of the day!!! Nice one! I know, right? I get flack every time I say, hey, let's use the bbq tonight. It'll always be a bbq to me. it's a noun as well as a verb, ya know?

:)

This typo really gave me my laugh for the day.

My husband has been thinking about a new BBQ (I guess they call them grills here :) ) for Father's Day. So today I get this text from his 21 year old son:

Hey...any idea on what I should get my dad for fathers day? I was thinking maybe like a new girl or something like that, I thought I heard him say his was acting up.

:rofl: :rofl:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Friends you say? What's that about? I kid, I kid... I've made 1 friend since I"ve been here and the lovely her doesn't even live near close to me. But yeah, Rob and Mel, that sounds cool and it's kinda neat that you guys have that sort of flexibility. As the canadian, I'm actually really pleased with where we live -- sleepy little rural bedroom community. I don't know if I could hack living in LA or any other big city -- I was starting to get pretty fed up with Toronto and the big city life there but kudos to you guys for having the cajones to do it -- hope it goes well and the time apart isn't too bad. We're all used to it though, eh?

Ashen, how's the day off to yourself? Are you loving it? must be really super nice to know that the money sitch is getting a little better and that you've got cash about to come in. Must make for a nice relaxing spell.

I got turned down for a job yesterday doing production work for an antique bookstore but it was all the in Baltimore city and I just started to drive and have really (almost) decided that working in Baltimore or D.C. is not really an option for me.

Sam and Ben... good luck on the job search -- I'm going to be getting more on that once my driving stuff is 100% done but so far? My driving is more than it's ever been in my life -- I go out and drive a couple of hours every day and am doing all my own errands and shopping and stuff so, that's a step up for me.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Sam and Ben... good luck on the job search -- I'm going to be getting more on that once my driving stuff is 100% done but so far? My driving is more than it's ever been in my life -- I go out and drive a couple of hours every day and am doing all my own errands and shopping and stuff so, that's a step up for me.

Oh I feel you there. Once I moved here, doing grocery shopping and errands certainly helped me to get comfortable with driving around here. It was like another world, going from driving in my little nowhere-town back home to driving amongst the crazies in metro-Orlando. And making a friend across the city helped, so whenever I visit her I'm forced onto the big scary expressway, haha. So good luck with you travels! :)

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Thanks lgg. It is nice knowing that in a short-ish period of time things will be less... stupid... around here. LOL

The first day to myself was interesting, but also boring. lol I went back to bed after my husband left for work, and ended up sleeping til noon (ugh). He called and gave me an update on his lunch break... then I spent some time doing nothing, lol and turned up the music while I did dishes, made dinner and baked brownies. :) It was funny because I was timing dinner to be ready about when I expected him home, and I was pretty right on. Except that he wasn't home at the 'expected time' because he worked about 15 mins late, then had a meeting with his new boss for another 20 mins. D'oh :wacko: so food got a little cold, but he still liked it. lol

Today it would appear that I am up at 7am and not able to go back to sleep. :crying: We're still working on adjusting the hubby's sleep schedule too. lol He's more perky than I at the moment, but probably still excited. Today is 'Bagel' Day, and also the annual Luau at lunch time. :blink:

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

Rob, here is the link to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Basically, everything you need to know can be found on this website (unlike USCIS :D ). On the left hand column you will see several options. Choose 'immigrate' . When that page opens up go to the bottom of the options and choose 'sponsoring your family'. Basically read over that and all of the links, including the links to the forms and to the instructions. You can order in a package which will have all of the information and applications you need. You basically have two options: Your wife sponsors you to immigrate to Canada through 'Out of the Country' processing where the applications are submitted to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, NY. When everything is completed, you would then move north and activate your Permanent Residence status when you cross the border. Or, you could move north now with you entering the US as a visitor, then your wife would sponsor you to become a Permanent Resident from inside Canada. There are benefits and liabilities to each process. The faster way is to do the process from outside of Canada, If you choose the 2nd way you would not be able to work until your application has been approved in principle and it does take a number of months longer. Read over the site - you should find everything you need to know there. Good luck.

btw - London is near my old stomping grounds of Chatham. It's a nice part of Ontario and a great city in which to live. You will find some adaptation yes, but there are a lot of pluses to living in London, Ontario.

Oops - need to include the website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Thank you very much Kathryn.

Timeline

so I had my appointment with the liver specialist today.. the doctor was really nice and explained everything to us.. I don't need liver surgery for right now.. they are going to keep an eye on the mass though... but the type of mass I have has 0% chance of becoming cancerous...

he said that I was probably born with it and that there is a very small chance my birth control could have made it get bigger...

I still probably need gall bladder surgery but the recovery time is a lot shorter with that...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

so I had my appointment with the liver specialist today.. the doctor was really nice and explained everything to us.. I don't need liver surgery for right now.. they are going to keep an eye on the mass though... but the type of mass I have has 0% chance of becoming cancerous...

he said that I was probably born with it and that there is a very small chance my birth control could have made it get bigger...

I still probably need gall bladder surgery but the recovery time is a lot shorter with that...

That is great news Marilyn, you must be so relieved. :)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

I'm so tired today! I stayed up until like 12:30 watching the lakers game with my son, who is a HUGE lakers fan. We both woke up this morning super groggy, but it's a once a year thing and yes I let my 11 year old stay up that late on a school night.... got something to say? Keep to yourself mmkay. :P

I don't really watch basketball but I figured why not just sit with him... he enjoyed it.

Donne moi une poptart!

I'm so tired today! I stayed up until like 12:30 watching the lakers game with my son, who is a HUGE lakers fan. We both woke up this morning super groggy, but it's a once a year thing and yes I let my 11 year old stay up that late on a school night.... got something to say? Keep to yourself mmkay. :P

I don't really watch basketball but I figured why not just sit with him... he enjoyed it.

HAH Speaking of the Lakers, I don't watch basketball at all... but my neighbours sure do. They were yelling and screaming at the TV. I'm in an apartment complex, where the buildings face all sorts of directions... so we had a neighbour behind us yelling, and a neighbour kind of in front of us. And we could hear them both (southern california has not heard of double-paned windows apparently, so noise pollution is fierce). I turned on the TV briefly and that's when I discovered it was game 7 of the finals, so I pretended it was the Stanley Cup and then understood the excitement so I let it slide. I didn't have to turn the TV back on the find out the Lakers won though. :lol: On the plus side, it was only 9:30 at the end here. ;)

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.