Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

My mom just emailed me about that too!

I'm surprised she didn't feel it... because I can feel 5.9s that come from the border.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

wow that is crazy about the earthquake...

so it looks like the ocean-side cabin vacation is a go.. I have having a fun time finding a suitable cabin that is within my parent's price range... it is hard because most of them are booked for July.. I found a couple but they don't have a hot tub but my mom said my dad would just have to do without one :P ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I was talking to a friend on MSN whose in Ottawa when the earthquake happened. He was like, why is my building shaking? Then afterwards he declared the whole thing awesome but awkward. :lol: Apparently cell phone towers quit working too.

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

:D I live in a beautiful part of the country. Only problem is I can't find a job.

Well...then I'd fit right in! I can't seem to find a job around here either! :lol:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

so i go in to valley produce to get groceries, and OMG what do i find?? Real FIVE ROSES FLOUR MADE IN CANADA!!!!! /faint I was so happy i almost cried. cuz the flour here absolutely sucks ...

i tried to make eclairs for my father in laws bday and they were a flop..a complete and utter disaster..and i was so upset.. i love cooking..i have a kitchen aid mixer, kitchen aid pots and pans..i dont skimp on cookware. and i love baking cakes cookies breads. so when most of my recipes turn out like poop i get super upset. sigh only issue..the price it's like 8$ / bag..WTH!

And i really really miss crumpets..and no one has any idea what they are /cry.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I have it narrowed down between two cabins now...

one has views of the ocean from the front porch and the living room and the ocean and mouth of the Smith River are about 500 feet away from the front door.... it also has two separate bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms with one being in the master bedroom. . this one would be $750 for 6 nights or $750 for the week (7 nights) .. and it has a grill out on the front porch.. the only thing it doesn't have is a hot tub..

the other one has limited views of the ocean from the front porch.. ..it is located on a bluff above the ocean with stairs leading down to the beach... it only has one bedroom with a Queen bed and a full-size convertible bed in the living room ... and it only has 1 bathroom. I am not sure if it has a grill but I have emailed them to ask.... this one does have a hot tub. it is $700 for 6 nights.. also this one has a special right now and I think I could get 8 nights for $750

I am leaning towards the first one because it seems like it is in a better location and because it has 2 bedrooms... but I guess it is up to my parents because they are footing the bill ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

so the owner of the second cabin sent me a pic of the outside of the cabin

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

ugh, I think the first cabin will be better even though it is a bit more expensive and doesn't have a hot tub...

the first cabin is on a corner. So it is next to roadways on two sides. Behind it is a forested ravine

and next to it on the other side is a small house.

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

so i go in to valley produce to get groceries, and OMG what do i find?? Real FIVE ROSES FLOUR MADE IN CANADA!!!!! /faint I was so happy i almost cried. cuz the flour here absolutely sucks ...

i tried to make eclairs for my father in laws bday and they were a flop..a complete and utter disaster..and i was so upset.. i love cooking..i have a kitchen aid mixer, kitchen aid pots and pans..i dont skimp on cookware. and i love baking cakes cookies breads. so when most of my recipes turn out like poop i get super upset. sigh only issue..the price it's like 8$ / bag..WTH!

And i really really miss crumpets..and no one has any idea what they are /cry.

I know - the US flour is soft wheat and Canadian flour is hard wheat. Use a bread flour here for regular baking as it is a mix of hard and soft - still softer than most Canadian flours but much more likely to give you a reasonable product.

I LOVE crumpets! I can find them here frozen at Ingles so I make a trip several miles south to the closest Ingles and stock up. Before I found them at Ingles i did find them online through a store in San Francisco called Tea'n'Crumpets. It seems no longer to be in the business of shipping crumpets - but they were good. Here is a link to a company on the east coat that does make and sell crumpets. They are a bit pricey, unfortunately. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Food-Candy/Baked-Goods/English-Crumpets-%28Set-of-2-Packages%29/D/30100/P/1:100:1020:100630/I/f07953?searchid=7LM1SHOP&feedid=froogle

The crumpets I buy at Ingles are actually made in Canada and are sold by Multifoods of St. Paul. Minnnesota 55121. The brand is Gourmet Baker 'British Style Toaster Muffins Crumpets". You might be able to ask a local grocer if they could order some in and stock them for you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wegmans has crumpets... what doesn't wegmans have?? :D

Our Wegmans doesnt have kraft peanut butter!! lol Only reason Itake a huge suitcase back to Sask is to bring home Kraft PB for my wife!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I use Gold medal bread flour for all my baking, and I mean everything for cookies, muffins, eclairs,croque en bouche, pizza, bread you name it. Its all I buy, and I use it the way I would use all purpose flour. If a recipe calls for 4 cups of all purpose or 3 cups of bread i still use the 4 cups of bread flour instead. Cause the bread flour in Canada would be different too. Every thing I make turns out perfect, very rarely do I notice a difference now and most times its such a small difference I'm still happy.

I did find crumpets at walmart and Kroger here, they are a bit harder to find and I only found them when I wasn't looking for them.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Our Wegmans doesnt have kraft peanut butter!! lol Only reason Itake a huge suitcase back to Sask is to bring home Kraft PB for my wife!!

No but my mom comes down and stocks up on Wegmans organic peanut butter because she swears it is the BEST pb she has EVER had. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I know - the US flour is soft wheat and Canadian flour is hard wheat. Use a bread flour here for regular baking as it is a mix of hard and soft - still softer than most Canadian flours but much more likely to give you a reasonable product.

I use Gold medal bread flour for all my baking, and I mean everything for cookies, muffins, eclairs,croque en bouche, pizza, bread you name it. Its all I buy, and I use it the way I would use all purpose flour. If a recipe calls for 4 cups of all purpose or 3 cups of bread i still use the 4 cups of bread flour instead. Cause the bread flour in Canada would be different too. Every thing I make turns out perfect, very rarely do I notice a difference now and most times its such a small difference I'm still happy.

Another US food mystery solved! Most of my baking has luckily been turning out great but I have noticed the flour I use just seems different from what I was used to. Now I know why...thanks for the info guys. :)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

well i don't have a wegman's or an ingle's anywhere here :( However my sister in law told me to check out Trader Joe's. I tried the gold medal flour we have here but it was kinda meh. I did a search online for flours, and found that some brands have a different gluten % in different states even though it's the same brand. Apparently some plants make it slightly different and it is not all universal. One of the ones tested was gold flour, but it was recomended overall.

Its just that some of the food here tastes not like it should and since i'm doing bupkiss atm i figured i'd make some homeade stuff and make myself feel better about being jobless, i mean there is only so much cleaning in a week i can do! lol :)

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

We don't have a Wegman's either - or a Trader Joe's. :(

I hear you about the cleaning - I would really like to pay someone to come and do it for me - but I can't justify that since I'm at home all day - I hate cleaning :D . I do it, but I hate it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.