LMFAO

DOCUMENTS to prove marriage. For my AOS interview next month.

24 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! just wana know if the documents I have are okay to prove my marriage, well i think i need to bring a lot of documents as I am going to my AOS interview next month alone. my husband is deployed in afghanistan, thats why. The documents I have are:

1. Marriage license/certificate.

2. USAA JOINT account.

3. TRUSTMARK joint account

4. Chase credit card i'm an authorized user.

5. I'm on his car insurance policy.

6. Tricare insurance - hes my sponsor

7. United concordia dental insurance -hes my sponsor

8. AT&T phone line - im an authorized user.

9. Military Power of attorney

10. Approved command sponsorship package

11. Pictures

12. Letters, gifts, cards sent to each other.

13. fast drafts of Yahoo chat messages

14. Emails

15. Hah I still have my old phone that shows HIS text messages since the VERY first time he sent me a message. I saved all his messages :P

So um, what else should i need? My hubby made sure i'm on all his accounts and insurance before he left for Italy.

-Kristine

Filed: Other Timeline

The things they want to see is your passport, your marriage license, and the photo album of you wedding. I suggest you leave #12 to #15 at home.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Passport isnt going to prove my marriage lol i was asking about proving marriage :) but yes of course, passport is a must have. lol and pictures, i mentioned that. Well I did not say i am going to lay down all the docs i mentioned, just the important ones and if they want more then maybe i can show the other stuff I have. But hey thanks for replying

plus um we only had civil wedding because the whole wedding thing wasnt planned, it came out like a surprise actually. hah we're going to have a church wedding n December in my homeland tho

bring everything that U have cuz it will really help...dnt forget the picture together and the tax return in both names(";girl u really worried huh???have faith!!

Hi everyone! just wana know if the documents I have are okay to prove my marriage, well i think i need to bring a lot of documents as I am going to my AOS interview next month alone. my husband is deployed in afghanistan, thats why. The documents I have are:

2. USAA JOINT account.

11. Pictures

14. Emails

15. Hah I still have my old phone that shows HIS text messages since the VERY first time he sent me a message. I saved all his messages :P

So um, what else should i need? My hubby made sure i'm on all his accounts and insurance before he left for Italy.

-Kristine

bring everything that U have cuz it will really help...dnt forget the picture together and the tax return in both names(";girl u really worried huh???have faith!!

My husband filed for 2009 income tax without me on it. We got married just this january, eh. of course im worried, my future depends on this interview.

One thing they look for that I don't see above is proof of joint residence - lease/house purchase agreement/joint utilities/driver's licenses with the same address/letter or affidavit from someone who has knowledge that you live together. Add at least one of these and you'd have more documents than they would hope to see.

On my interview they also asked for a certified copy of my husband's birth certificate (even though we had sent that with the forms already).

Good luck! It's not as scary as it sounds and in most cases it's really easy for them to tell if the marriage is genuine.

*Edit: I just saw your husband is deployed out of the US, but maybe you still can bring some proof that you lived together before he had to leave.

Edited by DaniG

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

2. USAA JOINT account.

11. Pictures

14. Emails

-Kristine

I think take it all and it will be enough. Good luck to you!!

One thing they look for that I don't see above is proof of joint residence - lease/house purchase agreement/joint utilities/driver's licenses with the same address/letter or affidavit from someone who has knowledge that you live together. Add at least one of these and you'd have more documents than they would hope to see.

On my interview they also asked for a certified copy of my husband's birth certificate (even though we had sent that with the forms already).

Good luck! It's not as scary as it sounds and in most cases it's really easy for them to tell if the marriage is genuine.

*Edit: I just saw your husband is deployed out of the US, but maybe you still can bring some proof that you lived together before he had to leave.

My husband is stationed in Italy, and I'm from the Philippines. i went to the us on a tourist visa, and the wedding proposal was a surprise. My husband just came home for 2 weeks to see me, so thats the only time we spent together as he had to go back to italy for his job. We stayed in his parents' house, we dont have our own house yet. We got married just this January thats why i cant present any lease of house. plus the utility bills, since we dont have our own house yet, no utility bills. I dont have driver's license yet since for me to be able to apply for one, i need to have SSN which i am still waiting along with my EAD. but maybe i'll get an affidavit saying that we lived together for 2 weeks.

I think take it all and it will be enough. Good luck to you!!

Thank you! whens your interview?

really u need EAD to apply SSN??I applied in arizona.as soon as got my marriage certificate we went to SSN office to apply SSN card.I only showed to them my marriage certificate,passport with US visa in it and my goverment ID...I told the old woman that I wanna use my husband last name and thats it..but it takes 1 month and 4 days before I got my SSN card in the mail =)

have u tried going at the SSN office to get one??just bring his 2009 tax return just in case(";the rest in good evidence too..

My husband is stationed in Italy, and I'm from the Philippines. i went to the us on a tourist visa, and the wedding proposal was a surprise. My husband just came home for 2 weeks to see me, so thats the only time we spent together as he had to go back to italy for his job. We stayed in his parents' house, we dont have our own house yet. We got married just this January thats why i cant present any lease of house. plus the utility bills, since we dont have our own house yet, no utility bills. I dont have driver's license yet since for me to be able to apply for one, i need to have SSN which i am still waiting along with my EAD. but maybe i'll get an affidavit saying that we lived together for 2 weeks.

Thank you! whens your interview?

really u need EAD to apply SSN??I applied in arizona.as soon as got my marriage certificate we went to SSN office to apply SSN card.I only showed to them my marriage certificate,passport with US visa in it and my goverment ID...I told the old woman that I wanna use my husband last name and thats it..but it takes 1 month and 4 days before I got my SSN card in the mail =)

have u tried going at the SSN office to get one??just bring his 2009 tax return just in case(";the rest in good evidence too..

hello! well i called SSA and they said that i should wait for my ead, before i can apply for SSN. Plus they asked me for proof of residence, eh i'm not a permanent resident yet so they said to wait for ead instead

hello! well i called SSA and they said that i should wait for my ead, before i can apply for SSN. Plus they asked me for proof of residence, eh i'm not a permanent resident yet so they said to wait for ead instead

plus its unless getting SSN without my EAD, coz i cant use ssn without EAD lol

so how did u get a bank account if u dont have SSN??cuz u wrote here that u have joint acccount in USAA??hmmm :wacko::whistle: kinda weird...oh well maybe its diffrent in every states eh???

plus its unless getting SSN without my EAD, coz i cant use ssn without EAD lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You actually dont need to have your ead to apply for you ssn#. I guess different ssa offices has different rules. You can actually wait 10 days to be on the SAVE system and then you can apply for a ssn number. I hope that was helpful. Good luck.

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
7-23-2010 AOS package mailed priority via USPS to Chicago Lockbox (expected delivery date 7-26-2010)
7-27-2010 AOS package delivered
8-3-2010 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP (received hard copy NOA 1's in mailbox 8-7-2010)
8-6-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
8-9-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
9-15-2010 Biometrics walk-in at Alexandria,VA ASC(original appointment date 10-5-2010)
9-15-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-16-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-22-2010 EAD card production ordered. Approved!!!!!
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-30-2010 EAD received in mail
10-4-2010 Received interview letter in the mail
11-9-2010 AOS interview 11:00am in Baltimore, Maryland
11-9-2010 Greencard approved!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You actually dont need to have your ead to apply for you ssn#. I guess different ssa offices has different rules. You can actually wait 10 days to be on the SAVE system and then you can apply for a ssn number. I hope that was helpful. Good luck.

Nwanyioma

This is only possible if you came on a K1 visa. I think the OP got married in the US on a tourist visa.

Being able to get an SSN with a K1 is due to a legacy quirk in the Social Security rules. There was a time when some states required an SSN to get a marriage license, and a K1 has to get married within 90 days of entering the US, so the Social Security Administration was issuing SSN's to K1's, but marking the cards "Not valid for employment". A Supreme Court ruling has since banned states from requiring an SSN before issuing a marriage license, but the Social Security Administration is still issuing SSN's to K1's. I expect they'll eventually catch up with the changes in the law, and stop issuing SSN's to K1's.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Nwanyioma

I know I can apply for SSN, but when i called SSA the lady told me to wait for my ead. Plus she asked me for proof of residence, one of requirements to apply for ssn. I'll call again SSA and USCIS so i can ask about it.

Are you still living with his parents?

Yes, I'm still living with his parents. If ever i get approved, i'll go to italy in October, because he is stationed there, but right now he is deployed in Afghanistan until last week of september. Whyd you ask?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.