LMFAO

DOCUMENTS to prove marriage. For my AOS interview next month.

24 posts in this topic

This is only possible if you came on a K1 visa. I think the OP got married in the US on a tourist visa.

Being able to get an SSN with a K1 is due to a legacy quirk in the Social Security rules. There was a time when some states required an SSN to get a marriage license, and a K1 has to get married within 90 days of entering the US, so the Social Security Administration was issuing SSN's to K1's, but marking the cards "Not valid for employment". A Supreme Court ruling has since banned states from requiring an SSN before issuing a marriage license, but the Social Security Administration is still issuing SSN's to K1's. I expect they'll eventually catch up with the changes in the law, and stop issuing SSN's to K1's.

Hey! yea i went to the US on a tourist visa. My plan was to go visit my boyfriend's (now my husband) family, he came home from italy too. He proposed out of the blue lol i really had no plans of staying and working here in the US, and only reason I applied for permanent residence is the military base required me to be a green card holder for me to be able to use the command sponsorship (as he is in the airforce).

One thing they look for that I don't see above is proof of joint residence - lease/house purchase agreement/joint utilities/driver's licenses with the same address/letter or affidavit from someone who has knowledge that you live together. Add at least one of these and you'd have more documents than they would hope to see.

On my interview they also asked for a certified copy of my husband's birth certificate (even though we had sent that with the forms already).

Good luck! It's not as scary as it sounds and in most cases it's really easy for them to tell if the marriage is genuine.

*Edit: I just saw your husband is deployed out of the US, but maybe you still can bring some proof that you lived together before he had to leave.

Thanks by the way for replying. And yes, i'll ask for affidavits from people who have knowledge that we lived together. From his parents and friends.

so how did u get a bank account if u dont have SSN??cuz u wrote here that u have joint acccount in USAA??hmmm :wacko::whistle: kinda weird...oh well maybe its diffrent in every states eh???

My husband added me in his account as an authorized user, thats why they didnt ask for SSN. Plus, i told them i needed proof for immigration purposes. The bank people said that once i get my SSN i should go back to them and UPDATE my information. Its not weird SAYITONCE, you can always explain to bank people why you need some stuff or why youre applying, theyre also human so they'll understand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My husband added me in his account as an authorized user, thats why they didnt ask for SSN. Plus, i told them i needed proof for immigration purposes. The bank people said that once i get my SSN i should go back to them and UPDATE my information. Its not weird SAYITONCE, you can always explain to bank people why you need some stuff or why youre applying, theyre also human so they'll understand.

I don't think anyone would imply that people at banks are inhuman (except maybe some loan officers :P ). I think it's a matter of complying with tax laws. Banks in the US are required by law to report certain transactions to the IRS for tax purposes. In order to do this, they need the SSN or taxpayer ID number for the account holder. There are some ways for a bank to get around this, such as restricting the account so that reportable transactions are not allowed, but this is an accounting headache for the bank. Many banks just won't do it, and require an SSN or taxpayer ID from every account holder.

My wife got an SSN by virtue of having entered with a K1 visa, so we were able to open a joint account, but I know my bank will not open an account without an SSN or taxpayer ID.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I don't think anyone would imply that people at banks are inhuman (except maybe some loan officers :P ). I think it's a matter of complying with tax laws. Banks in the US are required by law to report certain transactions to the IRS for tax purposes. In order to do this, they need the SSN or taxpayer ID number for the account holder. There are some ways for a bank to get around this, such as restricting the account so that reportable transactions are not allowed, but this is an accounting headache for the bank. Many banks just won't do it, and require an SSN or taxpayer ID from every account holder.

My wife got an SSN by virtue of having entered with a K1 visa, so we were able to open a joint account, but I know my bank will not open an account without an SSN or taxpayer ID.

well they added me on his account without SSN. Whichever way you take it, i really dont know but i guess im just lucky that they let me add myself n his accounts. Plus in all banks, they have this form you have to fill out if youre opening an account with them. Thats what I did, i had to fill out forms which are for NON US CITIZENS. I presented all my ids and my marriage certificate and that gives me all the right to be able to have access to his account.

Thanks by the way for replying. And yes, i'll ask for affidavits from people who have knowledge that we lived together. From his parents and friends.

Affidavits from your parents-in-law will be very helpful (+ other friends if you want, but they really like to see the parents involved), it would clearly show the IO that it is not a sham marriage.

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Affidavits from your parents-in-law will be very helpful (+ other friends if you want, but they really like to see the parents involved), it would clearly show the IO that it is not a sham marriage.

I will certainly do that! Thanki you so much for your advice. i actually told my in laws about it already, il remind them again. thanks :) hows are you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

well they added me on his account without SSN. Whichever way you take it, i really dont know but i guess im just lucky that they let me add myself n his accounts. Plus in all banks, they have this form you have to fill out if youre opening an account with them. Thats what I did, i had to fill out forms which are for NON US CITIZENS. I presented all my ids and my marriage certificate and that gives me all the right to be able to have access to his account.

I had the exact same experience in 2005 EVEN BEFORE my husband and I got married. Our bank was Wells Fargo and my husband had been with them since he was 12 years old. We went in there and they added my to his account without a SSN and without being married.

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I had the exact same experience in 2005 EVEN BEFORE my husband and I got married. Our bank was Wells Fargo and my husband had been with them since he was 12 years old. We went in there and they added my to his account without a SSN and without being married.

I think there is a difference between being an authorized user and actually having a bank account. I know that USAA let us add my husband to my account, but he needed to file a W-BEN. This was before we were planning to immigrate. I don't understand all the laws, etc., but somehow, they explained, this is different from actually holding the account, or you have different rights and responsibilities.

One thing about USAA, it is only for US military officers and their dependents. That's how it was set up. They might be a little more used to these sorts of requests as a result.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

Yes, I'm still living with his parents. If ever i get approved, i'll go to italy in October, because he is stationed there, but right now he is deployed in Afghanistan until last week of september. Whyd you ask?

I didn't see trillium's response, but I would think this is excellent proof of a bona fide marriage. You'll have to document it somehow. I guess an affidavit from both parents stating this as well as how long they knew you before you married their son, etc., would be the way to do so. When they ask you for proof that you live together, point out those affidavits.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.