one...two...tree

A Plea to Long Time, Level-Headed Members Who Still Post Here

414 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We need more of you to participate in the Off Topic Forum. For those who are level-headed, you know who you are and you've probably avoided OT because of the handful of posters who've made it less enjoyable to have reasonable discussions about a lot of topics that deserve some serious thought. Of course, not every thread needs to be serious, but I think the ones here who've been long time members and are still here, are staying in the upper forums where there is less tolerance for playground behavior.

:lol: its official. steven is getting whipped at his own game & now he's looking for help. :lol:

for this 'plea' to be taken remotely serious YOU would need to quit throwing red herring all day. at least 60% of you theads are designed to cause flame wars. then bump that % up to once someone disagrees with your pov. thats when the, 'bigoted' 'racist' '**' 'flat earther' 'narrow minded' 'xenophobe' 'right wing terrorist' to name a few cans of your trademark gasoline start pumping out of your keyboard. then it goes to 'you're a troll', 'this is XYZ post under your real account'.. face it steven the days of the mods showing gross favoritism & bias are gone... if you quit looking for flame wars, you'll quit getting them.

This wasn't posted in OT, Charles, so you're acting like a troll in what was a serious topic. You are, however, providing a good example of why so many level-headed members don't bother to post anymore. Like I said earlier, there are plenty of light-hearted threads for ribbing each other, but what I'm saying is that when that bleeds into the more serious topics, it chases away people who would otherwise get involved. An example would be what happened with that "experiment" that has since become a ghost town as nobody posts there anymore.

you're an organizer move it to OT. steven you posted a OT style red herring thread in the site & related -A Plea to Long Time, Level-Headed Members Who Still Post Here-... did you think the people you bicker with & routinely attack aren't going to come read & respond to this?

OMG! this is probabaly a TOS violation. but, the 'experiment' was intended to be an unmoderated forum & it was for sometime for everyone. then certain people wanted certain others moderated. thats when the 'spam patrol' was born. the 'spam patrol' actually was instructed to & did only moderated 1 person, kept the board free of that poster & actual spam. oddly the same people asking for that person to be gone, kept talking about him 24/7...all the while it was still pretty much anything goes for everyone else. well thats not right is it? he was let back to at least defend himself..he then was booted..came back..booted..came back on & on. meanwhile people were still going on unmoderated. a group of people...actually several different groups of people didn't appreciate the tone of the conversations on the 'experiment' nor the results coming from those conversation..'cross sites'. so cross sites were launched back....hmm a TOS that almost mirrors another we were all firmiliar with was now in place....yet still not applied word for word. the former 'spam squad' forced into a 'moderator' role were instantly in a no win sitsuation. so what to do? lets see what happens. you know what happened steven. it became crystal clear that some people wanted an unmoderated forum for themselves, but not for everyone. because when the moderators on the 'experiment' did anything. it was days of 'wha wha abuse of power'. so they let it go some more. it came back to the same thing. the ones wanting the unmoderated forum couldn't take the flames coming back at them. so they left. soMEone finally got the original 'problem' to chill...but people still don't like the venom when it gets spit right back at them. so it remains a 'ghost town'....

lead change by setting an example if you want the OT to chill steven.

Well, well. OT comes to the Site Related Discussion. Couldn't see that one coming.

N/S me either

Edited by SMOKE
7yqZWFL.jpg

An example would be what happened with that "experiment" that has since become a ghost town as nobody posts there anymore.

Yup, that one lost steam ~ they turned on each other and went extinct.

you're an organizer move it to OT. steven you posted a OT style red herring thread in the site & related -A Plea to Long Time, Level-Headed Members Who Still Post Here-... did you think the people you bicker with & routinely attack aren't going to come read & respond to this?

If this would have been posted in OT, I would not have seen this as I don't go there anymore. This should stay here so that the people he is trying to reach can see it.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

for this 'plea' to be taken remotely serious YOU would need to quit throwing red herring all day. at least 60% of you theads are designed to cause flame wars.

Mike, this thread isn't about me and yet both you and Charles have taken it upon yourselves to take personal swipes at me when I intentionally posted this outside the playground, trying to reach out to members who no longer post in OT. You both give good examples of what I'm talking about. There are people in OT that do nothing but antagonize and turn each and every thread into a flame war or personal attack. While I have participated in some of the shenanigans that goes on in OT, there used to be enough level-head posters that kept the playground behavior in check, particularly in a thread that deserves careful thought. Right now, as it stands, it's a pretty much, anything goes, atmosphere where the Moderators haplessly try to keep things civil.

I can tell you there are a quite a few people who have stopped posting in OT or left VJ altogether over this issue.

(this is directed at my intended audience - long time members who have been avoiding posting in OT)

After giving it some thought, I think the best solution would be to have Off Topic split into two forums - one that is for more serious discussions and one for light-hearted topics. The more serious OT forum would then be moderated with the same scrutiny as the upper forums are currently.

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Timeline

No, Smoke is entirely on point here, and I couldn't agree more with his post. This thread is inflammatory and dramatic at best...a 'plea' to 'levelheaded' members. Which implies (to me) that you are saying there are more non-levelheaded members there, which is rude and insulting.

The threads I see you participate in are those which are more of a serious nature. There may be people there (including myself) who pretty much disagree with everything you say, but that disagreement makes neither of us non-levelheaded. The 'racism' label is thrown around wayyy too much in there, and is used as a red herring argument (most times, if not everytime that I've seen) as means of diffusing someone's conflicting opinion. I've said this a million times...if you feel something said is racist, then report it...but to sit here and paint the whole of OT as being a primarily unreasonable cesspool of rasicm where members 'hate brown people', well, that's gone wayyyyyyyy too far.

Members will come and go and perhaps come back again. The excuse 'it's worse than ever!' is as overused as the racist label. Pretty much every mb will have that same charge somewhere on their boards, and I've heard it here for almost as long as I've been here. And the fact that Ewok has chosen to govern OT the way he has will basically make it self-evolving, and those who want to participate will, the way they want...and if you don't like it, either lead by example (as Smoke said) or perhaps it's you who needs to go.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

What H B said.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with Kathryn.

The thing is, is this even possible? I sincerely doubt it. As Kathryn mentioned, there is a core group of people in OT that respond to the poster not the topic.

The cat swatting at the toy is a great analogy, they enjoy it, it's their daily fun, why on earth would they change their approach?

Kathryn, thank you for the post. I think it pretty much spells out what I feel is the matter with OT; to see it come from a mod is encouraging. I spend the bulk of my time in the UK forum for the very reasons you cite -- it's safe, I know the people there, they know my story and I know theirs. Our shared experience fosters a sense of community, and I have made several "real life" friends in there that I see on a regular basis, which in my case only strengthens the bond.

HB -- we get along very well in the UK sub-forum :) but I'm a little disappointed to see you pick out my point about the amount of racism -- whether overt or imputed. I was certainly employing hyperbole when I stated that it seemed every other thread was "I Hate Brown People." Perhaps it is my ancestry that makes me more sensitive to some of the attacks, even if I do not support illegal immigration, feel that the current impasse this country finds itself in is insupportable and that the sheer number of such people IS damaging this country. (Hell, I live in SoCal so it is up close and personal.) My own grandparents were illegal immigrants themselves, fleeing the Mexican Revolution as children; my grandmother and her little sister were put into saddlebags on a burro and brought over to Texas. And although my family completely assimilated (to the point that none of my generation can speak a word of Spanish beyond "donde esta la biblioteca" and "ay yi yi"), reading some of the things written in OT about Hispanic people are truly hurtful, even if I don't identify with being Hispanic at all, having been raised in New England amongst my mother's Irish/Scottish/Belgian/English family. I would feel the same way if people were hurling the same sort of invective at Belgians (an unlikely event, it's true).

And yes, it IS a hoary old chestnut to say VJ is worse than it ever has been (rebeccajo's riffs on this were epic) and it may be glib to toss that sort of sentiment around. But the amount of spammy nonsense that appears on there -- articles that are posted merely as red rags to the usual gelded bulls -- has undeniably risen. It's the work of a few people, and is such a turn off. It makes OT boring as f^ck and look like a boys' club. Pass.

This is turning into one of the more reasoned and interesting conversations I've seen on VJ for a while. star_smile.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

It's not just an OT problem.

http://immigrate2us....-posts-on-vj...

Interesting. I know the beasts turned on me when I dared to ask a question about whether or not having a joint bank account would be a dealbreaker for the I-751. (We didn't have one.) My commitment to my husband was questioned because I said I wouldn't get one just for immigration purposes, and that there needed to be a more compelling reason. Luckily my dear friend Trompe le Monde (who is also a friend IRL too) told me to ignore the f^ckers. And wouldn't you know it, approved in 2 months. And that was for something as relatively anodyne as lifting conditions!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

the experiment died 6-12 months ago.

endangered species? i'd like to know what you mean by that. care to elaborate? it almost sounds threatening.

Threatening??? :blink::huh::wow:

endangered species n. A species present in such small numbers that it is at risk of extinction.

You said yourself the experiment died a few months ago and you are one of the few that I see still posting there and so... you are an endangered species. It's just a play on words.

Thank you for your post, Kathryn. It's one of the best I've read so far in VJ.

Edited by Pinay Wife