Sign in to follow this  
psubeldia

Initial Evidence Request regarding Intent to Marry

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I need some advice regarding a "Initial Evidence Request" for my petition for alien fiance. Immigration is asking for evidence regarding our "Intent to Marry". The letter says we "must express (our) intent to marry each other within 90 days after the arrival of (of my fiance)". Per the instructions of the petition on I-129F, it says:

"Provide original statements from you and your fiance whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutal intent ... "

My fiance and I provided original statments of our intent to marry. So I'm confused on what else immigration wants. When I called the customer service number on uscis.gov yesterday, the guy I was talking to recommended that I fill out a marriage license. Unfortunately, here in Alaska, both the bride and the groom need to be present to fill out the license and be sworn under oath before signing.

I called uscis.gov this morning to see if I could confirm the answer I got yesterday. This time, the lady I talked to at uscis recommended that my fiance and I re-write the letters of intent, but this time have them notarized. I mentioned to the person this morning the answer I got yesterday from uscis, and this person said "your best course of action is to get the letters notarized".

I'm seeking the help of anyone who has received an "initial evidence request" regarding the "intent to marry" and what they provided to prove their intent. Apparently, it is more than just providing original statements ...

Phillip

Hi,

I need some advice regarding a "Initial Evidence Request" for my petition for alien fiance. Immigration is asking for evidence regarding our "Intent to Marry". The letter says we "must express (our) intent to marry each other within 90 days after the arrival of (of my fiance)". Per the instructions of the petition on I-129F, it says:

"Provide original statements from you and your fiance whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutal intent ... "

My fiance and I provided original statments of our intent to marry. So I'm confused on what else immigration wants. When I called the customer service number on uscis.gov yesterday, the guy I was talking to recommended that I fill out a marriage license. Unfortunately, here in Alaska, both the bride and the groom need to be present to fill out the license and be sworn under oath before signing.

I called uscis.gov this morning to see if I could confirm the answer I got yesterday. This time, the lady I talked to at uscis recommended that my fiance and I re-write the letters of intent, but this time have them notarized. I mentioned to the person this morning the answer I got yesterday from uscis, and this person said "your best course of action is to get the letters notarized".

I'm seeking the help of anyone who has received an "initial evidence request" regarding the "intent to marry" and what they provided to prove their intent. Apparently, it is more than just providing original statements ...

Phillip

That's a new one. My wife and I filed I-129 in 07. We supplied original un-notarized letters, and the proof of meeting w/in 2 years and afew pictures.... That was it for evidence. We had our petition approved without an RFE....

Edited by Filipinawife0210

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

That's a new one. My wife and I filed I-129 in 07. We supplied original un-notarized letters, and the proof of meeting w/in 2 years and afew pictures.... That was it for evidence. We had our petition approved without an RFE....

We provided one [for each] with our submission and an updated [second one - one for each] for the interview/process.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Did you use the template on this site? It's odd that you had a problem, but at this point I guess just do as they asked and get it notarized so you don't have any more issues. It's possible that if you composed your own letter, you omitted some bit of info they like to see or something. The example on this site works.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: Timeline

Hi:

Here what my fiance sent.

U.S Department of Homeland Security

U.S Immigration and Naturalization Services

USCIS Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

Saint Albans, Vermont 05479-0001

Apri 12,2009

To whom it may concern,

I,Michael Thompson hereby state that I am legally willing and able to marry Andrea Ortiz within 90 days of her entrance into the United States using a K-1 Visa.

Sincerely,

Michael Thompson

SSN

Addres

Phone number

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Did you BOTH send one of those letters? Because both the USC and the foreigner need to submit one. It reads to me in your last post that only one of you sent the letter (Michael) and that Andrea didn't. If that's the case, then have Andrea do one now, and I would have Michael do another just to be safe.

Timeline

That's not the OP, unless you're directing your suggestion to not-the-OP. I think Andrea was just giving an example.

owl.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Presuming they didn't lose your letters of intent (this IS the US government...) it's possible they might think the letters you sent were copies rather than originals. Send new letters of intent, and make it obvious they're not copies. Sign in a different color than the printed text (blue, for example). Use a ball pen rather than a felt marker. Sign the original printed document, rather than a photocopy of the original printed document - if they see photocopy scan marks on the document they might presume the signatures are also copied.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

That's not the OP, unless you're directing your suggestion to not-the-OP. I think Andrea was just giving an example.

Well I assumed she used correct names in the letter and then used them in my question. My question (wasn't a suggestion really, it was a suggestion to what the RFE could be I suppose you mean) was directed to the statement "this is what my FIANCE sent" as the OP did not use the words "this is what we BOTH sent" therefore my qn "did you both send one?" is a valid one.

Jim's suggestion was a good one though as this has happened before. Sign in blue to always be sure they realise they're originals.

Timeline

Well I assumed she used correct names in the letter and then used them in my question. My question (wasn't a suggestion really, it was a suggestion to what the RFE could be I suppose you mean) was directed to the statement "this is what my FIANCE sent" as the OP did not use the words "this is what we BOTH sent" therefore my qn "did you both send one?" is a valid one.

Jim's suggestion was a good one though as this has happened before. Sign in blue to always be sure they realise they're originals.

I may be insane, but it seemed that you'd referenced a different poster than the original. The original poster did explicitly state she'd sent one from both herself and her partner. From what I can tell (unless I am in fact losing my mind, more) you responded to a separate poster (andrea and michael). Maybe you meant to. I just thought you had glanced at the post from andrea/michael and mistaken it for the OP. Doesn't matter! I'll shut up now. wacko.gif

owl.jpg

Timeline

I may be insane, but it seemed that you'd referenced a different poster than the original. The original poster did explicitly state she'd sent one from both herself and her partner. From what I can tell (unless I am in fact losing my mind, more) you responded to a separate poster (andrea and michael). Maybe you meant to. I just thought you had glanced at the post from andrea/michael and mistaken it for the OP. Doesn't matter! I'll shut up now. wacko.gif

No. You're right, I'm wrong. I assumed that was the OP. Damn. I was having a bad day that day! Second time I mistook someone for someone else. /sigh.

Then I stand by Jim's suggestion of blue pen. Perhaps they think they were scanned and emailed rather than actual originals.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Phillip

Stop calling the misinformation line...you have learned that much.

VJ has excellent example letters of intent. Make one up and print one for each of you and sign them...ORIGINAL SIGNATURE, NOT A COPY and send them in. They do not need to be notarized.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

As others have said, take the VJ form, put your names/etc in, and sign in a ballpoint pen (color shouldn't matter), and resend. Getting it notarized hasn't been a requirement for the K1.

We provided one [for each] with our submission and an updated [second one - one for each] for the interview/process.

FTR, (and unrelated) Brazil now uses a standardized form for the beneficiary at the interview, and does not require the USC to resubmit a letter of intent.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Simply resend a letter for each of you , original signatures not copies.

We were RFE'd for something they said was missing but that we DEFINITELY included in our original package. It added a few weeks to our process, but we resent it and got approved the day they received it. For all we know, our adjudicator spilled a cup of coffee on it. LOL.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.