peejay

Obama Won’t Enforce Existing Immigration Laws

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Obama Won’t Enforce Existing Immigration Laws

by Mark Krikorian

Posted 05/06/2010 ET

President Obama criticized Arizona's new immigration law, saying it was caused by inaction in Washington—specifically, the unwillingness of Congress to pass an amnesty law. He's right about the geographic location of the problem, but not about how to start fixing it.

The chief culprit right now is the President himself, not Congress. While there are numerous changes to the law that should be made, the most urgent task before us is to enforce the laws already on the books.

The administration can do plenty without new laws.

Repair the Fence

Start with the fence. People sometimes exaggerate the importance of fencing, imagining you can set it and forget it. Actually, it requires constant maintenance and policing, but it does represent an important tool for the Border Patrol. Congress in 2006 required the construction of more than 700 miles of double fencing along the border with Mexico. The administration has said that construction is virtually complete—except that much of the new "fencing" actually consists of one layer of vehicle barriers, which can prevent a vanload of illegals from driving into the country but stop no one from hopping over them. Ending its opposition to real fencing would be the first priority.

Prosecute Illegals

Also at the border, the President could expand Operation Streamline, an initiative to prosecute every illegal alien caught along certain small sections of the border and lock them up for a few weeks or a month before returning them. The goal is to exact a penalty for border-jumping. Most people who are caught are now sent right back with little or nothing in the way of consequences.

Workplace Raids

Of course, border enforcement doesn't end at the border. Making it hard for illegal aliens to find and keep jobs is at least as important, because without the magnet of jobs, illegal immigration becomes much less attractive. The President has all but ended raids at worksites, replacing them with audits of companies' personnel records to look for illegal workers—who are fired, but not arrested. Audits are a great idea, but there need to be raids as well, if enforcement is to be taken seriously. And Obama doesn't need permission from Congress to re-start them.

Check Social Security Numbers

Also in the area of employment, the Social Security Administration and the IRS currently know of hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens who have used fake or stolen Social Security numbers to get jobs or file for tax refunds. But the agencies don't tell anyone, supposedly because of their interpretation of privacy law. Here again, the President could act without action by Congress and instruct his agencies to inform employers when they submit a fake or stolen number from a new employee and insist they take steps to clear up the situation, including ultimately firing. Also, in cases of identity theft, the President must require the agencies to inform all those claiming to have the number that it's being used in multiple locations, so the real owner can take steps to stop it.

Use Local Police

In the area of policing, Congress created in 1996 something called the 287(g) program, which trains local police in the finer points of immigration law and effectively deputizes them as immigration agents. This allows local police to start the processing of immigration violators and enhances federal-state-local cooperation in immigration enforcement. This administration has tried to cut back this program and discourage new enrollments; the opposite is required and is within the administration's existing authority.

What's more, the administration can launch less-intensive, perhaps web-based, training in immigration law for local police, so they'll be able to tell the difference between a green card and an employment authorization document, among other things, hugely improving their ability to spot immigration lawbreakers and not hassle legal immigrants or visitors.

Track Visa-holders

And border enforcement isn't even all on our own territory. About one-third of illegal aliens came in legally, with visas, but never left. In 1996, Congress mandated the development of a check-in/check-out system at the border, so we'd know which visa-holders left and which had overstayed. Nearly 15 years later, this still hasn't been completed, and it's not clear anyone in the administration even wants to do this. Again, this is in Obama's power to change on his own, with no new laws.

And a further step back takes us to the visa offices themselves in our consulates overseas.

Although the law specifically says all visa applicants are to be assumed to be potential illegal aliens until they prove otherwise to the satisfaction of our State Department employees, the reality is very different. Too many refusals can potentially jeopardize a young Foreign Service officer's career, while freely granting visa applications to people likely to end up as illegal aliens causes little disquiet from superiors. This, again, is matter of misguided management not inadequate laws.

Our immigration policy is indeed broken, something everyone seems to agree on. But rather than Congress’s passing "comprehensive immigration reform," we need the President to undertake some "comprehensive enforcement reform." And he doesn't need anyone's permission to do that.

Mr. Krikorian is executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=36853

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

There have been articles all over discussing stepped up workplace enforcements and raids as well as increased deportations since Obama took office.

Articles? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: A cop gets shot and a rancher dies also. On Obamas watch. More articles?

Edited by Col. Lingus

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Since Obama is an illegal, why would you expect him to enforce immigration laws?? :wow:

Birthers are essentially cave men and women with furniture...get a grip dude.

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Also the REPAIR highlights most of these aspects. What I don't agree with in the REPAIR act is the 8 year guest worker program.

I disagree with it for two reasons.

No.1 I don't see why the US government should be promoting illegal immigration. I also don't see how the plan comes up with a solution to the paperwork involved. Our immigration system is like an old Ford Pinto climbing up and down Pike's Peak. Its been taking 2 passengers at a time and now its expected to carry 6 people (one guy in the boot). Yes the whole 8 year thing is so that the current back logs can be cleaned out but it never explains how its going to process 10 million people. The pinto's engine is going to sputter.

No.2 For all the far lefts talk of fairness its simply not fair. Why does an illegal immigrant get a visa, but a South Korean who overstayed his visa gets kicked to the curb.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Birthers are essentially cave men and women with furniture...get a grip dude.

and yet we still have not seen a legitimate long form. all we have to go on is an evasive answer from a Hawaii official that there is some kind of "certificate of live birth", just like the one i had from maryland in the same time frame, that was not good enough to get a passport with. i had to get a long form. surely osama has one. why not show it and be done with? why spend over 2 million dollars in legal fees to avoid doing so?

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Timeline
and yet we still have not seen a legitimate long form. all we have to go on is an evasive answer from a Hawaii official that there is some kind of "certificate of live birth", just like the one i had from maryland in the same time frame, that was not good enough to get a passport with. i had to get a long form. surely osama has one. why not show it and be done with? why spend over 2 million dollars in legal fees to avoid doing so?

Suggestion for your new avatar.

neanderthal.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Everyone, raise your hands if you are surprised that shooter is a birther. I have nothing against conservatives who believe in a cause and stand behind it, even though I generally disagree with them, violently, on many issues (many, but not all). However, if I were a conservative, I would do my best to distance myself from nutjobs like yourself. You are a perfect example of what is wrong with this country - people who throw out one red herring after another instead of focusing on the real issues. You should be ashamed of yourself. I would say the same thing to anyone who believed Bush was behind 9/11. You are a disgrace.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Timeline

because it makes the birthers look like fools for keeping this going. + he doesn't have to.

his birth was announced in 2 honolulu newspapers in august 1961. link either #1. it was planned almost 50 years ago for a kenyan to be the president of the US. or #2. he was born in hawaii. which one sounds likely & which one just sounds stupid?

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Suggestion for your new avatar.

neanderthal.jpg

where did you get that picture of me?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Gather 'round, Obozo is about to teach us about amnesty.

barack-obama-clown.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG