elmcitymaven

Irritating BS your SO does

1,246 posts in this topic

Come one, come all, whether you're the UK or US side of the relationship, whether you're married or still just engaged, whether you're over in the US yet or not. Vent!

Here's mine: My husband appears to be to the right of the Tea Party on all things immigration; while I support immigration reform and definitely not amnesty, I am probably a little more liberal. We actually agree on a lot of the same issues but he is spouting off about liberal this and liberal that and why doesn't this country have any political party that is palatable? I feel like I might have married Stalin.mad.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Come one, come all, whether you're the UK or US side of the relationship, whether you're married or still just engaged, whether you're over in the US yet or not. Vent!

Here's mine: My husband appears to be to the right of the Tea Party on all things immigration; while I support immigration reform and definitely not amnesty, I am probably a little more liberal. We actually agree on a lot of the same issues but he is spouting off about liberal this and liberal that and why doesn't this country have any political party that is palatable? I feel like I might have married Stalin.mad.gif

He gets mad that I'm such a picky eater. I will send food back in restaurants if it's not how I ordered it. He insists that noone in the UK would EVER do that.

He also doesn't get why I put sheets on the bed. The beds we slept on in the UK didn't have a top sheet, just a bottom sheet and a comforter in a duvet. The hotel one might have, but that was only one night and I can't remember. He will take the comforter and sleep without any sheets between he and it. The comforters I own all have to be taken to the laundromat and put in the superhuge washers to be washed.

Also, after finally being married and living together 2.5 months he admitted I talk too fast for him to understand sometimes. He hasn't mentioned it before.

There's lots. It's part of marriage. I'm still adjusting to having someone there ALL THE TIME. It will be cool when he's finally got the EAD or GC and can work. ;)

Edited by Jewel-8

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

He gets mad that I'm such a picky eater. I will send food back in restaurants if it's not how I ordered it. He insists that noone in the UK would EVER do that.

This. I hardly ever do it, but when I do have to make a request to a server beyond ordering or the bill, much eye-rolling ensues. I lived in the UK for well over a decade and learned not to do it there, but dagnabit I'm back in the Free World and if I want to ask for my burger to be done the way I ordered it, I will!

Timeline

This. I hardly ever do it, but when I do have to make a request to a server beyond ordering or the bill, much eye-rolling ensues. I lived in the UK for well over a decade and learned not to do it there, but dagnabit I'm back in the Free World and if I want to ask for my burger to be done the way I ordered it, I will!

OK! Another reason he doesn't want us to live in the UK then. I have been told that I am 'such a b!tch sometimes' after I've embarassed HIM at Applebee's. :rofl: That's why they are called servers here. I've been one too, it just made me more picky. :D

Oh dear, don't get me started! I thought I was quite realistic about marriage being hard work - but I didn't think it was quite this hard!! But yeah, we're still adjusting...I suppose one thing is that he's much more laid back than I am, says that's his Californian charm :P

Jewel-8, yeah we (in the UK) don't use sheets between the fitted sheet and the duvet - but then again our duvets have covers and that's what's washed along with the other bedlinen.

Edited by treehugger

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just a note on sending food back: I would just never do it. Don't know what they be seasoning that meal with before they brought it back out ... :bonk:

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Well, this posting is perfect timing for a perfectly bolloxed day. My American fiancée drives (well, drove) an absolutely horrid Nissan Sentra, a late 90s model. Anyway, the paint is ruined, the boot sticks half the time when you use the remote, the aircon is a joke, and the interior is faded. Mechanically it seems fine, but quite frankly the thought of starting a new life with this car as our main mode of transportation horrifies me. 'Welcome to America dear, your death chariot awaits!'

Long story short is that I wired her some money to buy a new car. We both agreed on a 2010 Mercedes GLK350. She went to the dealer and let them talk her into buying a 4 year-old Porsche Boxter. The car has over fifteen thousand miles, and for a few thousand more she could have bought a brand new one. They really saw her coming. I tried to get her to return the car, but they won't take it back. Apparently California doesn't have a 'cooldown' law.

I am absolutely gobsmacked. I can almost forgive the dealership, because as we all know, they're all snakes. But she should have known better. Why couldn't she just do what we agreed to do, and why a bloody sports car? Now we're stuck with it, and to add insult to injury she now says she's afraid to even drive the car because it has too much power. I don't know, it just seems like a terribly wrong foot to start this journey off on.

"It has been suggested that we'll squander the sponsors' money on wine, women and song. That is not true. We don't do a lot of singing here at Portman Road" - Ipswich Town owner John Cobbold

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, this posting is perfect timing for a perfectly bolloxed day. My American fiancée drives (well, drove) an absolutely horrid Nissan Sentra, a late 90s model. Anyway, the paint is ruined, the boot sticks half the time when you use the remote, the aircon is a joke, and the interior is faded. Mechanically it seems fine, but quite frankly the thought of starting a new life with this car as our main mode of transportation horrifies me. 'Welcome to America dear, your death chariot awaits!'

Long story short is that I wired her some money to buy a new car. We both agreed on a 2010 Mercedes GLK350. She went to the dealer and let them talk her into buying a 4 year-old Porsche Boxter. The car has over fifteen thousand miles, and for a few thousand more she could have bought a brand new one. They really saw her coming. I tried to get her to return the car, but they won't take it back. Apparently California doesn't have a 'cooldown' law.

I am absolutely gobsmacked. I can almost forgive the dealership, because as we all know, they're all snakes. But she should have known better. Why couldn't she just do what we agreed to do, and why a bloody sports car? Now we're stuck with it, and to add insult to injury she now says she's afraid to even drive the car because it has too much power. I don't know, it just seems like a terribly wrong foot to start this journey off on.

I would on-sell the vehicle when YOU get there and then YOU should buy the new car. My sister must be the same as your fiance, she has "gullible" written all over her.

Timeline

Yeah, that would be a problem..

Luckily for us my husband and I are both not too bothered with driving ####### cars. Which is good because I've had two car accidents in the less than 3 months he's been here. One was sliding out in a rain storm and doing $4k in damage to the SUV. The second was pulling over in a parking lot to wipe snow off the lights of the 1999 beat-to-####### Toyota. While I was clearing it, someone that had failed to clean their own windows reversed into the car despite my yelling and my husband (who was following me and thus waiting in the other vehicle 30 feet away) honking the horn of SUV.

Poor guy.. we're watching our pennies and I've managed to cause even more financial strain. :bonk::bonk::bonk: Part of married life I guess.

Timeline

I would on-sell the vehicle when YOU get there and then YOU should buy the new car. My sister must be the same as your fiance, she has "gullible" written all over her.

Can't she cancel the check or wire?

At least now you both know who will handle the major purchases. :whistle:

Timeline

Yes, we will probably do this after I arrive. Unfortunately I expect to lose a ton of money on the deal. She practically paid 2010 prices for a 4 year-old car. I'm certainly not going to trust her to try to resell the car by herself, she'd probably show up to the airport on a Vespa.

Poor guy.. we're watching our pennies and I've managed to cause even more financial strain. :bonk::bonk::bonk: Part of married life I guess.

No, I don't accept that it's part of married life, or 'engaged life' in our case. She had one job: buy the car we both decided on. She completely failed. Honestly I just can't imagine what she was thinking, if she was even thinking at all. You're quite right, the role of 'major purchaser' will be filled by more capable hands.

"It has been suggested that we'll squander the sponsors' money on wine, women and song. That is not true. We don't do a lot of singing here at Portman Road" - Ipswich Town owner John Cobbold

As someone who is married to someone who bought a used car (1984 Corvetterolleyes.gif) in California and had buyer's remorse only 6 hours later (and before we collected the car) I can tell you that if you waive the right to a two-day cooling off period to save a few bucks, you are stuffed. Sorry to hear that, Julian. On the bright side, it is still a pretty fun car! I wouldn't be kicking one of those out of my garage.

I also would like the predicament of being able to purchase a 2010 vehicle outright. :D

So glad to know you consider yourself "more capable hands" -- although perhaps the most capable thing of all would have been to wait to arrive to arrange such a major purchase? ;)

Edited by elmcitymaven

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, we will probably do this after I arrive. Unfortunately I expect to lose a ton of money on the deal. She practically paid 2010 prices for a 4 year-old car. I'm certainly not going to trust her to try to resell the car by herself, she'd probably show up to the airport on a Vespa.

No, I don't accept that it's part of married life, or 'engaged life' in our case. She had one job: buy the car we both decided on. She completely failed. Honestly I just can't imagine what she was thinking, if she was even thinking at all. You're quite right, the role of 'major purchaser' will be filled by more capable hands.

I'm with you. I simply cannot imagine having a lengthy discussion about something so expensive, having what we want in mind and then having the dealer change my mind without discussing it with my spouse, or future spouse or anyone who gave me that much money really :S.

If I THOUGHT it was a good deal I would have called my spouse, and asked his opinion. If he was sleeping or at work (damn time difference) I would have asked for the car details, taken a pic and emailed him and waited till he responded BEFORE making the purchase. I think even if it was my money, I would have asked my spouses opinion so he wasn't disappointed when he arrived

As for Vespa... :rofl:

So glad to know you consider yourself "more capable hands" -- although perhaps the most capable thing of all would have been to wait to arrive to arrange such a major purchase? ;)

I think perhaps he thought SHE should be driving something safer? Giving her the benefit of a safer/nicer vehicle... you know, looking after "his woman"?

Timeline

As someone who is married to someone who bought a used car (1984 Corvetterolleyes.gif) in California and had buyer's remorse only 6 hours later (and before we collected the car) I can tell you that if you waive the right to a two-day cooling off period to save a few bucks, you are stuffed. Sorry to hear that, Julian. On the bright side, it is still a pretty fun car! I wouldn't be kicking one of those out of my garage.

I also would like the predicament of being able to purchase a 2010 vehicle outright. :D

You have got to be kidding me...she would have had to waive her right to the cooling off period? She didn't mention that, she only said California has no cooling off period. What a bloody stupid thing to do.

As I said, I thought it best to start our new life together with something a little more classy than a 10 year old Sentra. But yes, in hindsight I should have just rented a car at the airport and dealt with this myself. Lesson learned.

Besides the increasing loudness of hubby's snoring.. he Hum's when he eats, when I call him out on it I say you hid that before we got married, he laughs and says well yeah of course you'd think I'm nuts..

yes dear, I know were both bonkers but a heads up on humming whilst you eat would have been nice so I don't get freaked out the first time you do it infront of me, or seeing as you have the ability to not hum please go back to not doing so. Not sure why it irritates me but it does. just not normal lol

Gemma and Paul - Our Timeline

05/17/2007 - K1 Visa app sent in

05/30/2008 - K1 Visa Interview, approved but suspended pending on new police report, sent new report in 2 days later along with my passport to the embassy

06/10/2008 - Passport delivered to the house with nice visa page stuck inside yipeee!

06/20/2008 - arrived in US

08/02/2008 - tied the knot

08/11/2008 - applied for AOS and EAD

09/11/2008 - NOA arrived for both

09/30/2008 - Biometrics

12/20/2008 - Interview Letter arrived

12/23/2008 - EAD approved!

12/29/2008 - EAD card ordered

02/11/2009 - Interview APPROVED!

02/25/2009 - Green Card in hand!

11/15/2010 - ROC I-751 filed

11/17/2010 - Delivery confirmation for I-751

11/27/2010 - NOA1 (dated 11/17/2010)

12/28/2010 - Biometrics

02/16/2011 - Approval/card production email

02/23/2011 - Ohh ahh.. 10yr card arrived

2011-2017 - vacations, baby boy born in 2014, more vacations, finally remember I could file for Citizenship 5 yrs ago!

01/20/2017 - N400 filed

01/30/2017 - N400 returned with amendments needed

01/31/2017 - N400 resubmitted

02/14/2017 - NOA (dated 02/09/2017)

03/03/2017 - Biometrics 

03/07/2017 - In line for interview
08/21/2017 - Interview letter received 
09/22/2017 - Interview date - Approved

10/17/2017 - Oath Ceremony 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.