Amby

Utah murderer chooses death by firing squad

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A convicted murderer in the US state of Utah has chosen to be executed by firing squad. When given a choice between lethal injection or being shot, Ronnie Lee Gardner told the judge: "I would like the firing squad, please."

Of the 35 US states that have the death penalty, Utah is the only one to give firing squads as an option.

Critics say the method is a relic from the state's Wild West past and should be abolished.

The judge in Salt Lake City set Gardner's execution date for 18 June, but Gardner's lawyer said he would appeal.

Correspondents say he may still petition the state parole board to commute his sentence to life imprisonment.

Famous last words

The 49-year-old convict killed a lawyer in a shootout while trying to escape from a courthouse in 1985.

He would be only the third man to be killed by firing squad since the Supreme Court allowed states to have the death penalty in 1976.

The first man to be executed after capital punishment was re-instated was Utah murderer Gary Gilmore. He famously said "Let's do it" before facing the bullets in 1977.

The second - John Albert Taylor - attracted huge media attention for his execution in 1996.

Should Gardner's scheduled death go ahead, it is likely to garner a similar media storm, the BBC's Madeleine Morris in Washington says.

Death row convicts in Utah were for decades allowed to choose their method of execution.

State legislators removed that choice in 2004 and made lethal injection the standard method - but inmates sentenced before then still have a choice.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8641280.stm

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, live by the "sword" die by the sword they say.. (are at least a gun in this case.)

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:thumbs:

Nice.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Critics say the method is a relic from the state's Wild West past and should be abolished.

So is the death penalty.

That said, I don't get the big deal about him choosing the firing squad. I don't think lethal injection is any more 'humane', if that is the issue. I think it should still be a choice if they don't want to outlaw the death penalty.

:thumbs: he chose firing squad, so load-aim-fire!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

He probably read The Executioner's Song one too many times. :P Maybe someone should have told him that Norman Mailer is dead. :rofl:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay !!! This could be a huge Pay Per View Event, if Utah Correctional System has the b@lls to pull it off!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Love it! :thumbs:

Didn't know Utah still had firing squads as an option.

It doesn't, any longer. But you'd have to actually have read the OP to understand that.

Death row convicts in Utah were for decades allowed to choose their method of execution.

State legislators removed that choice in 2004 and made lethal injection the standard method - but inmates sentenced before then still have a choice.

So is the death penalty.

That said, I don't get the big deal about him choosing the firing squad. I don't think lethal injection is any more 'humane', if that is the issue. I think it should still be a choice if they don't want to outlaw the death penalty.

Whats not humane is killing a innocent lawyer....wait it was a lawyer :innocent:

There are a lot of problems with using firing squads, who do they use to carry it out? Oh, I know there a lot of brave gung ho types that think this would be a lot of fun, after all, that's scum right, it should be easy? In reality, you can't volunteer off the streets to be an executioner. People are chosen to perform these duties, and most executioners have a lot of difficulty reconciling what they do with their conscience. I don't know whether they choose firing squads from amongst prison guards or what they do, but whoever is chosen, it will not be something they want to do.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .