Bobby+Umit

When asking for a Tax transcript -

13 posts in this topic

IRS confirmed that there are two transcripts you can ask for.

1. Income transcript - only includes info from the 1040, does not include supporting W-2 info/1099/other documents.

2. Wage and Income transcript - includes 1040 info, all supporting documents (W-2/1099/etc).

So ask for the "Wage and Income" transcript for 134/864 affidavits to ensure you comply with the requirements.

(Confirmed as of 13APR10)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Great...now you have me worried....I guess we will find out tomorrow if I got the right ones...

I didnt know that there were different kind of transcripts. I did include my w-2s with the I-864 though. I guess i will let you know tomorrow. How can you tell the difference in the 2?

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I guess mine was just Income.

So that's why I'm hauling W-2s and tax returns with me to our interview just in case.

Good info though! Very useful for AOS, thanks!

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Great...now you have me worried....I guess we will find out tomorrow if I got the right ones...

I didnt know that there were different kind of transcripts. I did include my w-2s with the I-864 though. I guess i will let you know tomorrow. How can you tell the difference in the 2?

Don't worry - if you included your w-2's - your covered.

I didn't know there were two types myself till I asked.

Since I don't have the shorter version one, I can't say what is on it exactly - but the longer one breaks down everything you submitted (W-2/1099/etc) - bunch of pages.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I requested my transcripts on Monday using the automated system. It is a little difficult to figure out how to get to that topic but eventually I did get there by only listening to options and pushing buttons. I do not believe using buttons only they made a distinction in two types of transcripts you can request.

The IRS web site for Topic 156, Copies and Transcripts, they do list two types;

a) In cases where an exact copy of the return is not needed, tax return and transcripts may be ordered.

b) If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, you must request a "Tax Account Transcript."

I hope I receive the transcript which shows the W-2 information.

Naturalization N-400

Don't worry - if you included your w-2's - your covered.

I didn't know there were two types myself till I asked.

Since I don't have the shorter version one, I can't say what is on it exactly - but the longer one breaks down everything you submitted (W-2/1099/etc) - bunch of pages.

Well, i must have gotten the right ones...the ones I got were a couple pages from last year and 2007....although it didnt break down what was on the w-2s and such from what i can tell (was filed jointly with my ex)... Mhay got her visa approved today at her interview...so I must have had all the right info.

I requested my transcripts on Monday using the automated system. It is a little difficult to figure out how to get to that topic but eventually I did get there by only listening to options and pushing buttons. I do not believe using buttons only they made a distinction in two types of transcripts you can request.

The IRS web site for Topic 156, Copies and Transcripts, they do list two types;

a) In cases where an exact copy of the return is not needed, tax return and transcripts may be ordered.

b) If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, you must request a "Tax Account Transcript."

I hope I receive the transcript which shows the W-2 information.

Yeah the transcripts I got state it does not contain changes...so I must have just been covered by the w-2s.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Going over all the instructions that reference the transcripts, they all point to "IRS generated transcripts" - it doesn't spell out which type, if any.

So I suppose if they are sent from the IRS (either type), they should be acceptable.

The more info you send with your affidavit will only help your case, imo.

Timeline

Going over all the instructions that reference the transcripts, they all point to "IRS generated transcripts" - it doesn't spell out which type, if any.

So I suppose if they are sent from the IRS (either type), they should be acceptable.

Thanks for the info. I will review the transcripts carefully when they arrive to make sure I see the W-2 information on these transcripts. I do not want to try to get an IRS operator to speak with at this time of the year. If I do not see W-2 info, I will make copies of my W-2's and attach them to the transcripts.

I definitely believe in providing extra or duplicate information and avoid the 221(g).

Naturalization N-400

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I got my Tax Transcripts last week and sure enough they are only ONE Page. Also I noticed they are listed on the top as Account Transcript. The W-2 information only lists one line, amount withheld but not earned although it does list the AGI from the return.

I called the IRS again and this time listened to options after Account Transcript and noticed number 2 is plain Tax Transcript while number 1 is Account Transcript. Also number 4 in the menu is BOTH Account and Tax Transcript. Two kinds.

I will report if option 2, the Tax Transcript appears more complete and how many pages when they arrive.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yay me... I included the Income Tax Transcript but included W-2s in case...

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

My three years of transcripts arrived today and they were the long versions. It simply says "Tax Return Transcript" as opposed to the "Tax Account Transcript" on the short summary one page versions I received first time I called.

So either option 2 or option 4 will work when you reach the Transcript Menu if you are calling and using the automated system.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Actually it DOES tell you which one they want... They want the Tax Account Transcript.. this one: http://accuverify.com/Account%20Transcript.pdf as opposed to what Audy_Rob keeps insisting they want (previous thread) which is this one: http://accuverify.com/sample.pdf

On the I-864 instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf page 8, second column here: "For purposes of this affidavit, the line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ,the line for adjusted gross income will be considered."

You will see on the ACCOUNT transcript mention above has "form number 1040" on it. Up the top, under the words "account transcript".

----

Obviously more information is better than less, but when it comes to the IRS transcripts, the second one that is NOT wanted, does NOT list what line to take the information from (i.e. gross income). There was a previous thread Pushbrk was involved in where a dude was arguing that he could not find the line for "gross income"... turns out he was looking at the second transcript and had to get the PROPER one sent to him. He did eventually apologise I believe for getting rather vicious about how "wrong" pushbrk was and that "the line for gross income didn't exist".

Actually it DOES tell you which one they want... They want the Tax Account Transcript.. this one: http://accuverify.co...0Transcript.pdf as opposed to what Audy_Rob keeps insisting they want (previous thread) which is this one: http://accuverify.com/sample.pdf

On the I-864 instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov.../form/i-864.pdf page 8, second column here: "For purposes of this affidavit, the line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ,the line for adjusted gross income will be considered."

You will see on the ACCOUNT transcript mention above has "form number 1040" on it. Up the top, under the words "account transcript".

----

Obviously more information is better than less, but when it comes to the IRS transcripts, the second one that is NOT wanted, does NOT list what line to take the information from (i.e. gross income). There was a previous thread Pushbrk was involved in where a dude was arguing that he could not find the line for "gross income"... turns out he was looking at the second transcript and had to get the PROPER one sent to him. He did eventually apologise I believe for getting rather vicious about how "wrong" pushbrk was and that "the line for gross income didn't exist".

Vanessa - it does not specify which type of transcript it requires. My own transcripts are "Wage and Income" - and it shows everything - even the line you mention for form 1040/1040A - so how can you construe that line in the 864 in meaning one type of transcript over another?

If you filled out your income taxes, you would of used either on of those forms, and you would use your gross income, as stated for the 864. So it would behove you to use a transcript that shows this.

If you read all the instructions for the 864, in the FAM/AFM, they only mention "IRS generated Tax Transcripts" (or words to that effect) - nothing more.

When I made this call to the IRS, as I asked the person this question, she stated "Oh - for immigration?, use the "Wage and income" transcript." I was actually surprised, I didn't realize that there were different ones.

Another way to think about this is that if the IRS generated the transcripts, they most of accepted your (evidence) taxes in order to have transcripts, so any transcript, if you go strictly by the instructions, would work.

The difference between a "Tax return transcript" and "Tax Account Transcript" is that the former shows the return as you originally sent it and any initial processing the IRS did to it. If there was an error (more than the initial processing) or you needed to amend it, you would request the latter.

(source)

For the record - "Wage and Income" transcript appears to be the "Tax Return transcript". (and it's pretty long btw - 3yrs = 24 pages for me)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.