Danno

Belgium moves to become first European country to ban the burka

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Look at the images below. Decide for yourself if you saw someone dressed this way walking down the street, whether you would find that somewhat disturbing or threatening. To me, this is an innate human reaction. We are hardwired to recognize human facial features. When a person covers their face leaving only minimal eyeslits exposed, they project a hostile and threatening image. Yes, I find someone dressed in a veil or burka discomfiting. I would also find ninjas, and guys wearing ski masks or goalie masks in public discomfiting. Am I prejudiced against them?

Goalie Mask

3308553466_364828c3d4_o.jpg

You find Gerry Cheevers threatening? Spooks will not be pleased. I wear dark sunglasses, a trench coat and a fedora, do I scare you?

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Timeline
The Amish don't bother me because I don't see them or have to interact with them. I have to deal with hardcore Mussalmans and the Hasidim regularly and they both annoy the hell out of me. I wish they'd live someplace else.

And you're most certainly free to wish that. But that doesn't exactly have any bearing on their right to live where they live. You know, some folks are annoyed by the smell of garlic and curry that some folks carry with them. Just sayin'... :innocent:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You find Gerry Cheevers threatening? Spooks will not be pleased. I wear dark sunglasses, a trench coat and a fedora, do I scare you?

5, you scare me no matter what you wear. You're just one scary mothafucka.

The Burka is a clear signal of an oppressive culture. In that culture, that is the norm. In the USA, the Burka is unacceptable, given the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Seems clear to me......

The Burka is a clear signal of an oppressive culture. In that culture, that is the norm. In the USA, the Burka is unacceptable, given the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Seems clear to me......

Takes a lot of assumptions for that to be clear. Last time I checked the Bill of Rights, freedom of religion and expression was still a part of it. Why do people with a different belief and value system have to conform to yours? Where in the Bill of Rights do you have the right to dictate to others what they can and cannot believe?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

5, you scare me no matter what you wear. You're just one scary mothafucka.

You'd better believe it. I've even had cops tell me that I make them nervous. :o

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

AJ has a point. Amish members don't go out so much from their territory. It must be difficult to wander far from home when you are riding a horse-drawn carriage. :P NetGeo sometimes features stories with religious aspects and cults.

funny-pictures-cat-is-amish.jpg

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Takes a lot of assumptions for that to be clear. Last time I checked the Bill of Rights, freedom of religion and expression was still a part of it. Why do people with a different belief and value system have to conform to yours? Where in the Bill of Rights do you have the right to dictate to others what they can and cannot believe?

It's not so much that they don't have the right to be here. It's that their presence here is against the interests of those who were here when they arrived.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

It is clear, because the cultural norm in the United States is one of freedom. How many people that wear the Burka, wear it with pride? I submit that it is a forced issue, which has been proven over and over again.

Seriously, who would voluntarily wear a 99% body covering, if given a choice? Nobody.

You can be Muslim and not dress like a freak. Banning the burkha is a good move. If you want to separate yourself from the society you've chosen to live in, the society you've chosen to live in has no obligation to be civil to you.

how is this any different than hasidic jews(sp?)