Danno

Belgium moves to become first European country to ban the burka

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Seems odd and unfair to invite over half a million Muslims into your country and then refuse to allow them to wear a Burka if they desire.

I think this is another example of the novelty of "Diversity".... wearing off as we are seeing this across Europe now.

Belgium moves to become first European country to ban the burka

article-1262545-023C9059000005DC-915_233x417.jpg

Belgium is on the verge of becoming the first European nation to ban the burka.

A parliamentary committee agreed yesterday to outlaw the wearing of face-covering veils in public. The full Parliament will vote later this month.

Under the proposals, women could face a week in prison or a fine for wearing a veil in public.

There are an estimated 650,000 Muslims in Belgium – 6 per cent of the population.

The text of the new law does not specifically mention burkas but makes it illegal for anyone to wear clothing ‘that covers all or most of the face’ in any public place.

Left-wing MP Denis Ducarme left no doubt the rules were targeting-Muslim extremists.

He said after the vote by the home affairs committee: ‘This sends a very strong signal to radical Islamists.’

The French- speaking liberals who have proposed the law argue that an inability to identify people presents a security risk and that the veil is a ‘walking prison’ for women.

Daniel Bacquelaine, the bill’s chief promoter, said the ban might also be used against potentially violent demonstrators who covered their faces.

He estimated that only a few hundred women in Belgium wore facial veils, but said it was a rising trend.

The MP said Belgium did not wish to follow the ‘bad examples’ of Britain and the Netherlands, where he said many Muslims lived in separate communities.

The proposal is expected to become law as early as June as it has the support of all five parties in the coalition government. But opponents may appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

There have been debates over banning the burka in France, Switzerland and Italy.

This week France’s highest administrative body said a full burka ban, which is supported by all political parties, could violate the French constitution and European law.

Brussels has been linked to Islamic extremist terror operations a number of times since September 11. In 2003, 18 men were convicted of involvement in a terror cell with links to Al Qaeda.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

You can be Muslim and not dress like a freak. Banning the burkha is a good move. If you want to separate yourself from the society you've chosen to live in, the society you've chosen to live in has no obligation to be civil to you.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

There was a very interesting commentary in the German media today regarding this issue making a very basic and very valid point: The issue is the burka in rather than the one on the head. Banning the burka addresses merely the symptom rather than the underlying cause. What's the most likely result? Surely it won't be the desired liberation of women but their incarceration in their homes.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

There was a very interesting commentary in the German media today regarding this issue making a very basic and very valid point: The issue is the burka in rather than the one on the head. Banning the burka addresses merely the symptom rather than the underlying cause. What's the most likely result? Surely it won't be the desired liberation of women but their incarceration in their homes.

Immigrants who consciously resist assimilation because they consider their host society culturally inferior or sinful need to be gotten rid of. Banning the burkha is one good step towards making life in Belgium uncomfortable. More needs to be done, until they leave of their own accord for greener pastures.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Quebec has banned burkas too. For all provincial employees or others who provide government services.

They want respect for the French language in Canada, but that's about the only thing they tolerate.

Immigrants who consciously resist assimilation because they consider their host society culturally inferior or sinful need to be gotten rid of. Banning the burkha is one good step towards making life in Belgium uncomfortable. More needs to be done, until they leave of their own accord for greener pastures.

I don't know. My wife likes to dress in her native attire from time to time simply because it's part of her identity. Certainly, when she attends church she'll wear Ethiopian dresses. That doesn't mean, though, that she's resisting assimilation. Either people are free to express themselves or they're not. Are we prepared to deny people the right to choose what they wear?

I don't know. My wife likes to dress in her native attire from time to time simply because it's part of her identity. Certainly, when she attends church she'll wear Ethiopian dresses. That doesn't mean, though, that she's resisting assimilation. Either people are free to express themselves or they're not. Are we prepared to deny people the right to choose what they wear?

There are immigrants who never make any attempt to conform with the norms of their host society. Wearing ethnic attire from time to time is different. I'm talking about the people who make a deliberate and conscious effort to be separate in everything they do.

There are immigrants who never make any attempt to conform with the norms of their host society. Wearing ethnic attire from time to time is different. I'm talking about the people who make a deliberate and conscious effort to be separate in everything they do.

Is it a choice they make or are we making that choice for them by excluding them because of their religion?

Is it a choice they make or are we making that choice for them by excluding them because of their religion?

Plenty of people make the choice. They immigrate to countries but are convinced that their host societies are sinful and inferior. This is common in orthodox religious communities.

I've heard that Muslim women had to wear hijab in order to cover their sexy and expensive clothing underneath. :P

nsfw

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/sexy_burqa.jpg

Seriously, these people who still use their burka don't follow the wisdom of "When in Rome..." Moreover, you can't really expect much from them. Years ago, Time had an article praising how Turkey has become so sophisticated that it supports how modern Muslim women are (their career, value in the society, lifestyle, clothing, and more). However, honor killings still exist in the country's villages.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Look at the images below. Decide for yourself if you saw someone dressed this way walking down the street, whether you would find that somewhat disturbing or threatening. To me, this is an innate human reaction. We are hardwired to recognize human facial features. When a person covers their face leaving only minimal eyeslits exposed, they project a hostile and threatening image. Yes, I find someone dressed in a veil or burka discomfiting. I would also find ninjas, and guys wearing ski masks or goalie masks in public discomfiting. Am I prejudiced against them?

Ski Mask

ski-mask.jpg

Goalie Mask

3308553466_364828c3d4_o.jpg

Ninja Facial covering

ninja_face.jpg

I was once waiting at a local train station waiting to pick up my wife and was chit chatting with this young black man who was waiting for the same train. He was going to a town 2 stops down to do a valet job at a party. So we're talking for a while (I got there a little early and the train was a little late) and suddenly he feels the need to reach into his cap and pull a ski mask over his face. We were the only two people on the platform at the time, there was no one on the opposite platform either. I assume I displayed no outward signs of fear or discomfort because I just kept on saying what I was saying. He pulled it down, tugged at it a little and rolled it right back up. But for a few seconds, I was like oh ѕhit I hope these NJ Transit cameras work.

Plenty of people make the choice. They immigrate to countries but are convinced that their host societies are sinful and inferior. This is common in orthodox religious communities.

So people have strong belief systems. Belief systems that differ from our mainstream. And that's why they can't be tolerated? The first amendment of the Constitution be damned? Are we really that weak that we can't have a small fraction of the population follow their - from our point of view - odd belief system? Are the Amish threatening to us? Surely, they don't assimilate - never have and a lot of them very likely never will. Kick them out too because we just can't stand them little buggies they ride around in or that ridiculous attire they wear?

So people have strong belief systems. Belief systems that differ from our mainstream. And that's why they can't be tolerated? The first amendment of the Constitution be damned? Are we really that weak that we can't have a small fraction of the population follow their - from our point of view - odd belief system? Are the Amish threatening to us? Surely, they don't assimilate - never have and a lot of them very likely never will. Kick them out too because we just can't stand them little buggies they ride around in or that ridiculous attire they wear?

The Amish don't bother me because I don't see them or have to interact with them. I have to deal with hardcore Mussalmans and the Hasidim regularly and they both annoy the hell out of me. I wish they'd live someplace else.