albopower

Necessary to get SSN prior to wedding?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi All.

My fiance' has been awarded her K1 VISA. Woot! I have a few questions:

1. Is it necessary for her to get her Social Security Number in her maiden name? She has no plans to work before the wedding, or get her license or do anything else. She's basically going to hang out with me for a month before the wedding. I'm planning on getting her SSN after we get married, in her married name (my last name) and then fill out AOS application. We are getting married in NY State.

2. Regarding the Port of Entry: Am I allowed to walk through the non-citizen line with her? She doesn't speak any English so I will have to translate for her.

3. Some other details and questions about timing: I'm flying to Albania to pick her up in a couple weeks and we will fly back to America together. We'll land at JFK airport together on April 5, 2010. The wedding is May 1, 2010 and her K1 expires on May 22, 2010. We plan to just spend time together and get ready for the big wedding (400 people). Paperwork wise, things will go like this; Get marriage license, get married, get an SSN and then file for AOS the week after we get married. Does this all sound alright? Am I missing anything? Will we be able to get a marriage license with just her K1, i94 and Albanian passport?

Huge Thanks to this forum for helping me and my girl along the way!

Filed: Timeline

Hi All.

1. Is it necessary for her to get her Social Security Number in her maiden name? She has no plans to work before the wedding, or get her license or do anything else. She's basically going to hang out with me for a month before the wedding. I'm planning on getting her SSN after we get married, in her married name (my last name) and then fill out AOS application. We are getting married in NY State.

Nope, not necessary. Quite a number of us waited until we were married so we could apply for the SSN in our married names.

2. Regarding the Port of Entry: Am I allowed to walk through the non-citizen line with her? She doesn't speak any English so I will have to translate for her.

You may both enter in the citizen line. I am unfamiliar with JFK so perhaps someone else can help you with more details.

3. Some other details and questions about timing: I'm flying to Albania to pick her up in a couple weeks and we will fly back to America together. We'll land at JFK airport together on April 5, 2010. The wedding is May 1, 2010 and her K1 expires on May 22, 2010. We plan to just spend time together and get ready for the big wedding (400 people). Paperwork wise, things will go like this; Get marriage license, get married, get an SSN and then file for AOS the week after we get married. Does this all sound alright? Am I missing anything? Will we be able to get a marriage license with just her K1, i94 and Albanian passport?

The K-1 visa is cancelled the moment she enters the US. After that you go by the I-94 expiry date, which will be 90 days from the date of issue.

Your plan sounds fine.

Congratulations!

Welcome to VJ! :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:thumbs:

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All.

I'd like to know that too. Especially for JFK. My fiancee doesn't speak much English either, so I can at least be by her side and translate, maybe

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. Its good to know I'm on the right track.

I'd like to know that too. Especially for JFK. My fiancee doesn't speak much English either, so I can at least be by her side and translate, maybe

Anybody else with experience with JFK in particular? I've gone to Albania 4 times over the last year, and came back by myself. Each time the non-citizen line is always a huge mess that moves slowly. Ofcourse I'm always cruising in the citizen line. It'd be nice if my fiance' could go through the citizen line with me.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Some people have said their fiance went through the citizen line with them. You can go through the non-citizen without a problem except the wait. There should be someone DOT/TSA at the beginning of the line- ask them if your fiance can go through the citizen line with you? Worth the ask. If not you wait....

I'm not aware of any POE that will not allow the USC to enter through the noncitizen line with their fiance/spouse. We entered through Detroit and I went through that way with my finacee - no problem. I have not heard of anyone not being allowed.

As far as the SS# being needed before you apply for marriage liscence, it is dependant on where you live and apply. Contrary to some peoples opinions, there are localities that DO require the SS# when applying for a marriage liscence, so check with the local authority where you will be applying.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey - Welcome to VJ -

There are reviews of JFK POE in the POE review section.

Train yer eyes UP a bit - click on POE.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I hate to disagree with Krikit, but I recommend that you apply for her social security number in her maiden name and then change her name with the marriage certificate later.

There are two distinct processes with the SSN:

1. Initial issuance - the name must match the name she enters the US with. It's in the SAVE database (her maiden name)

2. Name change - Can be easily accomplished with a marriage certificate on an existing social security number.

The working and traveling prior to getting the green card forum is full of people who have issues with the SSN, and trying to both get a social security number issued AND change her name simultaneously is obviously too much for a government agency to handle. It helps if you think of any government agency as a twitchy and extremely stupid bridge troll. You want to get across the bridge, so Be careful, pay the toll, don't try anything fancy, and pick your fights wisely.

Here's just one example of another VJers experience. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/242022-what-is-wrong-with-social-security-idiots/

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Nik/Heather. Thanks for the reply.

I've been wrestling with this for a few months now. I've read so many horror stories about the SS office. I am leaning towards getting an SSN issued in her maiden name prior to the wedding. I am going to accompany her to the SS office. I'm going to be very diligent, but respectful with the SS representative. I want to make sure that they see her in the SAVE system before I submit her application. I do not want to deal with the SS office having to manually verify her and fill out a G-845.

The only thing certain in the entire SS process is that it is a total ####### shoot. LoL. There's also a fine line between offering helpful hints to the SS representative and coming off rude.

Lets say I go down there. Should I go the day after we arrive? If they do see her in the SAVE database, can they issue her the number right there on the spot, and we just have to wait for the SS card in the mail? I've read so many different paths people have taken.

This should be so simple. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Advice from others is appreciated. Thanks.

I hate to disagree with Krikit, but I recommend that you apply for her social security number in her maiden name and then change her name with the marriage certificate later.

There are two distinct processes with the SSN:

1. Initial issuance - the name must match the name she enters the US with. It's in the SAVE database (her maiden name)

2. Name change - Can be easily accomplished with a marriage certificate on an existing social security number.

The working and traveling prior to getting the green card forum is full of people who have issues with the SSN, and trying to both get a social security number issued AND change her name simultaneously is obviously too much for a government agency to handle. It helps if you think of any government agency as a twitchy and extremely stupid bridge troll. You want to get across the bridge, so Be careful, pay the toll, don't try anything fancy, and pick your fights wisely.

Here's just one example of another VJers experience. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/242022-what-is-wrong-with-social-security-idiots/

This should be so simple.

YAY BUREAUCRACY!

As to when to go, it is usually recommended that you go a couple of weeks after entry - the theory is that the entry database isn't updated minute by minute to the database that SSA checks when you go in for the card. Some people have had success getting it sooner, others find that they aren't in yet.

Maybe you've seen this SSN guide already - if so, maybe it will help others who read this thread with the same question but haven't. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All.

1, No bit it would be foolish not to. If you do not and the marriage license application asks for an SSN, enter "none".

2. Yes you can

3. He rK-1 will be CANCELLED when she arrives and replaced by the I-94. The K-1 is a single entry visa, once used it is cancelled. The expiration is the date by which she must enter the US. You will have 90 days to get married upon her entry.

Here is the sequence

1. Arrive

2. Get SSN next day, do not leave until you have it, see a supervisor if needed, get the card in her name exactly as in the passport, change it later if she wants to, after she has her green card.

3. Unpack her bags

4. Get married

5. Get a jojnt bank account (you can do this before marriage)

6. File for AOS

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Nik/Heather : Thanks for the SSN link. I've read it over so many times. It is helpful.

Gary/Alla : Thanks for the breakdown. Even after reading all the guides, flowcharts and FAQs, its reassuring when real people chime in. I will go down to the SSN office the day after we arrive. If they can't find her in the system that day, I guess we'll try again the next day, and just keep going each subsequent day until we get it. We'll be diligent and make sure it turns out the right way.

1, No bit it would be foolish not to. If you do not and the marriage license application asks for an SSN, enter "none".

2. Yes you can

3. He rK-1 will be CANCELLED when she arrives and replaced by the I-94. The K-1 is a single entry visa, once used it is cancelled. The expiration is the date by which she must enter the US. You will have 90 days to get married upon her entry.

Here is the sequence

1. Arrive

2. Get SSN next day, do not leave until you have it, see a supervisor if needed, get the card in her name exactly as in the passport, change it later if she wants to, after she has her green card.

3. Unpack her bags

4. Get married

5. Get a jojnt bank account (you can do this before marriage)

6. File for AOS

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi All. Just wanted to check in with an update.

We entered the country just fine at NY JFK port of entry on Monday April 5 at 2pm.

Today we went down to social security, armed with everything listed in the visajourney SSN guide and all the info I've gathered through reading people's experiences. The woman at social security (Newburgh, NY) seemed very diligent and knew what she was talking about. She said she did not see my fiance in the SAVE system and said that I should attempt again at the end of next week (April 15-16). She said it was possible for me to fill out an SSN application today, but advised against it. I declined and said that I would try back at a later date.

She also said once the SSN office sees her in the SAVE database and we submit the SSN application that it goes to Dept. Homeland Security and they must approve the application prior to the SSN office being able to issue the SSN. She said DHS has the application about 2-3 days, sends it back to the SSN offie, then the SSN office issues a SSN.

Another thing she mentioned is that every time an inquiry is made for an SSN in this type of situation (a person awaiting recognition in the SAVE database) ,there is a record of the inquiry kept in the system. She said sometimes, when multiple inquiries are made a person will be input to the SAVE system faster. I'm not sure I believe this, but whatever. Anyone ever hear of this?

Basically, I'm not sure how other people have gone down to the SSN office the day after POE and gotten an SSN number. Its a bit frustrating that the system is not consistent, but I guess I'll just deal with it.

The plan is still to go down to town hall this saturday and apply for a marriage certificate. I shouldn't have a problem according the town clerk that I spoke with. The wedding is May 1st.

Edited by albopower

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi All. Just wanted to check in with an update.

We entered the country just fine at NY JFK port of entry on Monday April 5 at 2pm.

Today we went down to social security, armed with everything listed in the visajourney SSN guide and all the info I've gathered through reading people's experiences. The woman at social security (Newburgh, NY) seemed very diligent and knew what she was talking about. She said she did not see my fiance in the SAVE system and said that I should attempt again at the end of next week (April 15-16). She said it was possible for me to fill out an SSN application today, but advised against it. I declined and said that I would try back at a later date.

She also said once the SSN office sees her in the SAVE database and we submit the SSN application that it goes to Dept. Homeland Security and they must approve the application prior to the SSN office being able to issue the SSN. She said DHS has the application about 2-3 days, sends it back to the SSN offie, then the SSN office issues a SSN.

Another thing she mentioned is that every time an inquiry is made for an SSN in this type of situation (a person awaiting recognition in the SAVE database) ,there is a record of the inquiry kept in the system. She said sometimes, when multiple inquiries are made a person will be input to the SAVE system faster. I'm not sure I believe this, but whatever. Anyone ever hear of this?

Basically, I'm not sure how other people have gone down to the SSN office the day after POE and gotten an SSN number. Its a bit frustrating that the system is not consistent, but I guess I'll just deal with it.

The plan is still to go down to town hall this saturday and apply for a marriage certificate. I shouldn't have a problem according the town clerk that I spoke with. The wedding is May 1st.

Hi, i would suggest for you to go to social security at least 2 weeks of US entry, that's the wait time for her entry to be save in their database/system. All you have to bring is the I-94 (usually attached in her passport), passport and birth certificate if any. Congratulations on your wedding!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

2009-09-15 : I-129F Sent

2009-09-16 : I-129F NOA1

2009-09-19: Check Cashed

2009-12-22: I-129F NOA2

2010-01-07 : Consulate Received

2010-01-22: St Luke's medical exam

2010-02-01 : Interview Date (Approved!)

2010-02-06 : Visa Received

2010-02-15 : US Entry

2010-03-04: SSN received

2010-05-01 : Wedding day!

Comments : smooth sailing, thanks visa journey!

AOS timeline:

2010-05-06 : AOS package sent

2010-05-07 : received and signed (USCIS Chicago lockbox)

2010-05-13 : check cashed

2010-05-17 : received NOA1 in the mail for I-485, I-765 and I-131

2010-06-23 : received approved I-131

2010-07-01 : received notice for biometrics on 7/20/10

2010-07-20 : biometrics done

2010-07-21 : I-765 Employment Authorization approved! Card production ordered

2010-07-30 : I-765 Card on hand ( wohoo )

2010-09-03 : Interview sched (had to resched coz we're out of town)

2010-10-18 : Interview...approved with no problem! card production ordered (YES!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.