Divorce Decree or Divorce Cert

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys,

I know Ive asked this before..I still can´t find the correct answer:

Question about Divorce Decree and Divorce Certificate

According to the USCIS site they request:

" If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated."

Does anyone know which one has to be sent?

Thanks for yr help.

IBLP

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Either one works for USCIS. I sent a copy of the divorce decree, mine was only 4 pages. I also just received an official divorce certifcate and will send that to my fiancee so she can have at the interview, just in case they ask for it.

Good luck !

~Johnny~

Hey guys,

" If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated."

Thanks for yr help.

When in doubt what to send send all you have. Send copies and take originals to the interview. More ammo the better!

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I send a copy of the original decree and certificate.. but as they quoted above, "when in doubt send all you have".. Is better for them to have more and able to trash extra paper rather than request additional information and delay the process.

Hey guys,

Thanks for yr help.

Edited by ImWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

When I got divorced - there was no 'certificate' issued - I (like most folks probably) got a divorce decree (multiple pages with the divorce finalized somewhere in the legal text).

What have you got? (and is this for the US citizen or the foreign beneficiary?)

a divorce decree (multiple pages with the divorce finalized somewhere in the legal text).

It's not always multiple pages, before anyone panics :D UK divorces decree absolutes are a single page, printed on bog-standard printing paper with a large red inked court stamp on them. Baffling really, considering a good scanner could easily reproduce something that you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the scan and the original...

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

Thank you guys..

In Brazil we have only one single paper with the stamp and the seal from the oficial translator..

My American fiance sent his with several pages..but with no stamp/seal on the last page. It was signed by the judge and filed with the County Clerk of the County where the decree was issued.

We fear we will get a RFE since there were no stamps on it.

He decided to request one month ago the final decree from the court in CT..hope this one will work. I heard also that this doc has to be certified..question is since this is coming from the court isnt it certified already..???

I am sooooo confused....

IBLP

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you guys..

In Brazil we have only one single paper with the stamp and the seal from the oficial translator..

My American fiance sent his with several pages..but with no stamp/seal on the last page. It was signed by the judge and filed with the County Clerk of the County where the decree was issued.

We fear we will get a RFE since there were no stamps on it.

He decided to request one month ago the final decree from the court in CT..hope this one will work. I heard also that this doc has to be certified..question is since this is coming from the court isnt it certified already..???

I am sooooo confused....

That's exactly what I used. Just a 4 page decree with a Judge's signature and dates on the last page. No special seals or anything. I ordered a certifcate last month from the State's vital records office, after I filed the I-129F. Didn't get an RFE. I never got a "certifcate" when I was divorced, just the decree. We didn't even know certifcates were available. So, I'll send decree and certifcate to my fiancee for her interview in case they ask her for it.

~Johnny~

Timeline

Hey Johnny,

You brought me some hope..

Ive been reading so many different things here..especially when it goes to certificate x decree..sealed not sealed..certified or not..

Thanks anyway for yr time..

A

That's exactly what I used. Just a 4 page decree with a Judge's signature and dates on the last page. No special seals or anything. I ordered a certifcate last month from the State's vital records office, after I filed the I-129F. Didn't get an RFE. I never got a "certifcate" when I was divorced, just the decree. We didn't even know certifcates were available. So, I'll send decree and certifcate to my fiancee for her interview in case they ask her for it.

IBLP

I was to send a certificate called Single status from my state, but my attorney had me send in a copy of my divorce decree.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Send a copy of the final decree, the one that is the end of the whole process of divorce, meaning you are "available" to marry again. We got an RFE for sending a partial part instead of the final document.

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent the first two pages of my divorce decree to USCIS and it was accepted. But all I have is a copy of a certified copy, and I only have the first two pages, I don't have the whole thing...So I ordered a divorce certificate just in case I need it at the embassy.

Married 01/01/2004

Living in Canada together for 6 years~~now it's time to go his way~~

USCIS Journey

I-130 package received - 11/18/2009

Check Cashed - $355 11/25/2009

NOA1 - 11/23/2009

NOA2 - 3/9/2010

NOA2 hard copy received - 3/16/2010

106 days from NOA1 to Approval

NVC Journey

NVC Received: 3/12/2010

Called NVC to get case#: 3/15/2010

Sent OPTIN email for electronic processing: 3/15/2010

Sent DS-3032 "letter format" via email: 3/15/2010

Received DS-3032/I-864 Bill via email: 3/17/2010

Pay I-864 Bill: $70 3/17/2010

I-864 Bill shows paid on DOS site: 3/22/2010

Receive I-864 Package: 3/22/2010

OPTIN accepted: 3/24/2010 (9 days)

Return Completed I-864: 3/24/2010

Receive IV Bill: 3/24/2010

Pay IV Bill: $400 3/24/2010

DS-230 bill shows paid on DOS site: 3/26/2010

Hubby moved back to USA: 3/25/2010

Receive DS-230 Package: 3/28/2010

Return Completed DS-230 Package: 3/28/2010

Resent AOS package because they didn't receive the first one: 4/2/2010

Log-In Fail: 4/9/2010

Case Completed at NVC : 4/9/2010 (28 days)

Received Interview date: 5/1/2010 (20 days)

Medical Exam: $275 + $50 for delivery 6/14/2010

Interview date: 6/23/2010 (75 days)

POE: 6/28/2010 Rainbow Bridge Niagara Falls, NY

Send a copy of the final decree, the one that is the end of the whole process of divorce, meaning you are "available" to marry again. We got an RFE for sending a partial part instead of the final document.

I just sent in my I-129F. I had a copy of the signature page that stated divorce decree was official, but it was not the final version with county clerk filing date stamp. And when a lawyer I had helping me reviewed it he pointed it out as likely red flag.

So even though it ended up delaying my sending in the I-129F by 3 weeks, as it turned out, I called the county/court clerk and requested an official certified copy of the divorce decree.

Mine is several pages long, has the final decree page with all official signatures including filing date stamp of the clerk's office and it says "certified" copy and signed by clerk, and has a gold seal stuck on the spot where the photocopied seal is.

It looks real cheesy, like a gold embossed stamp I coulda got from K-mart, but it's what they give. So I photocopied that and included it in the I-129F application. And I will bring the original with the cheesy gold stamp to our interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moving from "K-1 Fiance(e) Case Filing and Progress Reports" to "K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures" as the prior forum is for case updates/progress and this one is for questions**

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's not always multiple pages, before anyone panics :D UK divorces decree absolutes are a single page, printed on bog-standard printing paper with a large red inked court stamp on them. Baffling really, considering a good scanner could easily reproduce something that you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the scan and the original...

The seal from the government agency is the key.

It's commonly called a certified copy of divorce decree.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.