mrsB

Adjustment of status...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Is it possible to enter the U.S. through the visa waiver program and immediately apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident? Can they/will they kick you out of the country? I am the wife of an US citizen and I just got the e-mail today saying that the papers have been sent (to my husband) stating that our visa application has been denied (after over 2 years of processing).

If adjustment of status to LPR is possible, how long will it take?

I read about the adjustment from http://www.usafa.edu/superintendent/ja/Imm...?catname=JA#lpr

and it says:

"Foreign Spouses Already In the United States Can “Adjust Their Status” to LPR

A foreign spouse who is already in the United States in some status, e.g., as a non-immigrant visitor, or through admission under the Visa Waiver Program, can apply to adjust his or her status to lawful permanent residence by first having the U.S. citizen or LPR spouse file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on his or her behalf, at the appropriate Service Center address, above. Once the I-130 is approved, the foreign spouse must file a Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status. This is also filed at the appropriate Service Center, at the address, above. However, if the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen, both applications can be filed at the same time at the local USCIS office in the district in which the couple resides. To find the address for the local USCIS district office, please refer to the USCIS website, www.uscis.gov."

I guess we should've just done that the first time I visited the US... but it has now also been more than 2 years since we were married, so there shouldn't be any questions about the marriage being real. Well, there shouldn't have been to begin with, the amount of evidence we've been sending in.

Could use some help/advice/info ASAP, thanks.

Why was your visa denied?

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The 'process' you described is also covered here

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

Generally speaking, a spouse of a US citizen can file for adjustment of status if she is present in the United States.

However . . . since you are married already, the correct visa for you is a CR-1 (IR-I if you are married longer than 2 years). Entering with the intent to adjust status is visa fraud, and visa fraud can lead to deportation with a lifetime ban attached. They often won't make intent an issue since it's difficult to prove, unless there's a paper trail. And you have a paper trail, nicely presented to them.

Keep in mind that your application for a visa has just recently been denied (for reasons I don't know). If you now enter the US as a tourist to circumvent this, and they look at your immigration file, which they will, they have you by the balls. Since you have no balls (hopefully), they probably grab you by your hair (assuming you have hair), put your hands behind your back, and lock you up in a detention center. Detention centers are private run institutions that are just awful places to be.

My advice therefore: forgettaboutit!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I have probably around 2000 dollars worth of stuff in the USA, friends and my husband's family who are like my own family... and I'm suddenly not allowed to enter the country? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIHHHHIIII... :angry:

I don't know why the visa was denied, but whatever the reason, it probably presents an obstacle to entering the US on VWP, and it almost certainly presents an obstacle to adjusting status. The criteria for adjusting status are pretty similar to the criteria for getting an immigrant visa.

But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that the reason for the visa denial was something that you have addressed and completely eliminated.

In that case, you should be able to go back and get the visa as you originally planned to.

If you enter on the VWP, you give up the right to any appeal of a decision against you. You swear that you are entering the US for the purpose of a visit of 90 days or shorter. You guarantee you intend to return at the end of the 90 days. In order to enter on the VWP, you've got to demonstrate to the officer at the port of entry that your visit is temporary. He'll have access to your previous immigration file and the fact that you applied for a visa and were denied. He'll know the reason for the denial. At the very least, the fact that you applied for a visa will make it look like you might have immigrant intent, and will make it more difficult to demonstrate non-immigrant intent. You will be questioned, and will have to swear up and down that you really don't want to stay in the US, and they'll get that on the record.

I doubt you'll get in on the VWP, but you might.

Let's suppose you convince the officer that you don't intend to immigrate, and he grants you entry. Now, if you file to adjust status, you will be submitting evidence that you DID intend to immigrate, just after you worked so hard to convince the officer that you didn't intend to immigrate. It's going to look like your entry on the VWP was a misrepresentation, which of course it was. If they pick up on the misrepresentation, which they surely will, that will mean denial of adjustment of status, deportation, and a permanent bar.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

is this right?

In that case, you should be able to go back and get the visa as you originally planned to. = apply again. YES ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I have probably around 2000 dollars worth of stuff in the USA, friends and my husband's family who are like my own family... and I'm suddenly not allowed to enter the country? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIHHHHIIII... :angry:

Complying with US Immigration laws is mandatory if you wish to reside in the USA. If your spouse visa was denied, there's a reason. Deal with that first, if possible. If not, your husband can immigrate to the UK.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Complying with US Immigration laws is mandatory if you wish to reside in the USA. If your spouse visa was denied, there's a reason. Deal with that first, if possible. If not, your husband can immigrate to the UK.

Why UK? She's from Finland...

Timeline

I will get into more detail on our case a bit later (as I'm at work atm), but a thought just occurred to me...

When we originally filed the I-130, we also filed I-129F, which is on my timeline... However, the USCIS immediately messed up the I-129F, writing our names wrong on that one. We spent the whole processing time battling to get them to discard the I-129F, which THEY suggested would be the best thing to do in December 2008 when they said the I-129F had only been slowing our process down. We then agreed to discard the I-129F, but it resurfaced in April 2009. My husband went to see the USCIS people by appointment, in which he AGAIN asked for the I-129F to be dropped as it hadn't been yet. And again, the USCIS promised to take care of it. Yet, the I-129F resurfaced AGAIN in September 2009 when we got our intent to deny with both the I-130 and I-129F. We were instructed to NOT send evidence in regards of the I-129F, to make sure it'd die away. We also sent a specific letter (for the 2nd time) to ask again for the USCIS to discard it as it was not neccessary. But now that I got the e-mail about the denial decision... it's for both the I-130 and the I-129F... so wth, they NEVER discarded it? Could it be that the I-129F and the fact that we didn't send evidence for it messed up the whole case? I know this is kind of speculation as it'll probably a few more days yet before we receive the actual paperwork.

But I am going to whip up the money from somewhere to sue their asses for all the time and money wasted and to be in the American spirit, I'll sue them for emotional suffering or what not... I don't know, I'm just furious, to put it simply. 2 years of fighting to even get them to spell our names right... and then denied!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Why UK? She's from Finland...

Right, Finland. :thumbs:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.