KansasDragon

Out of Country - Pregnant - Travel Concerns

21 posts in this topic

We came to the Philippines with the intention of staying a couple months, and then returning to the USA. My wife is pregnant, and suddenly we have some big challenges.

The Doctor here is recommending my wife not travel, due to a concern with the pregnancy. Her 2-year resident card expires in July. I know we can send in the application from the Philippines, but may not be able to return to the USA until September after the baby comes in August. Even then, we are going to need to scramble to get a passport for the newborn through the Embassy here.

The first question I have, is this even possible?

The second question, if it is possible, do I need to notify an immigration office?

The last question, where do I need to contact?

Life certainly finds ways of throwing blessings and challenges to us at the same time. Luckily my work allows me to work from anywhere, so we are not without income, but this certainly was not in our plans.

Looking forward to any suggestions, or advice.

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First, congrats on your impending addition!

One problem I see is that she needs to make sure she's not outside of the US for more than 12 months otherwise she is considered to have abandoned her LPR status.

Is there anyway she can fly back to the USA like now? Or is he saying "at all"? Is there anyway to say buy her a economy plus seat for the flight back making sure she has good leg room and is relaxed and not-stressed? Personally this is the option I would be seeking above all else, but if it's not viable I'm sure there are things you can do.

It is possible, anything is possible, but how difficult it is, and how stressful it would be is another matter.

Here is the info on what happens with the baby AFTER it's born: http://www.ehow.com/how_5359612_apply-crba...hilippines.html which should help. It will take about a month (hopefully not longer) to get that part sorted out.

Here is the guide for ROC: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

Honestly I don't know what will happens. I would say make an infopass appointment but can you do that from over there? Honestly if her card expires in July then you need to apply in the 90 days BEFORE then, which starts around next month. I assume she would need to go to an interview, and who knows what else... and the greencard is really important so i would speak to the doctor and get him/her to speak to your doctor at home and travel back ASAP and take her to the doctor to make sure all is well.

I truly feel the safest option for all concerned is to head back now.

Good luck.

Thank you for your answer. Luckily the 12 month time frame would not come into play even if we had to wait until the baby arrived. We would be back before then, but it is still a very long time out of the USA. We have another appointment with the Doctor early next week. We have return tickets next week, which we are hoping we can use. We have also contacted the airline to see if they will allow us any rescheduling options if the Doctor says "wait".

I'm just trying to get ahead of the game, rather than wait.

If we cannot return before sending the application in, we will make sure it is sent within the 90 day time window before expiration, and early within the 90 days.

First, congrats on your impending addition!

One problem I see is that she needs to make sure she's not outside of the US for more than 12 months otherwise she is considered to have abandoned her LPR status.

Is there anyway she can fly back to the USA like now? Or is he saying "at all"? Is there anyway to say buy her a economy plus seat for the flight back making sure she has good leg room and is relaxed and not-stressed? Personally this is the option I would be seeking above all else, but if it's not viable I'm sure there are things you can do.

It is possible, anything is possible, but how difficult it is, and how stressful it would be is another matter.

Here is the info on what happens with the baby AFTER it's born: http://www.ehow.com/how_5359612_apply-crba...hilippines.html which should help. It will take about a month (hopefully not longer) to get that part sorted out.

Here is the guide for ROC: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

Honestly I don't know what will happens. I would say make an infopass appointment but can you do that from over there? Honestly if her card expires in July then you need to apply in the 90 days BEFORE then, which starts around next month. I assume she would need to go to an interview, and who knows what else... and the greencard is really important so i would speak to the doctor and get him/her to speak to your doctor at home and travel back ASAP and take her to the doctor to make sure all is well.

I truly feel the safest option for all concerned is to head back now.

Good luck.

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thank you for your answer. Luckily the 12 month time frame would not come into play even if we had to wait until the baby arrived. We would be back before then, but it is still a very long time out of the USA. We have another appointment with the Doctor early next week. We have return tickets next week, which we are hoping we can use. We have also contacted the airline to see if they will allow us any rescheduling options if the Doctor says "wait".

I'm just trying to get ahead of the game, rather than wait.

If we cannot return before sending the application in, we will make sure it is sent within the 90 day time window before expiration, and early within the 90 days.

If you cannot fly out (which my fingers are crossed for you that you can) make sure you start the paperwork (filling it out etc) so that the second it's time, it's ready to go. The reason I mention this is because you don't want life to get on top of you and if, god forbid, something happens to distract you, you are scrambling to get everything done and complete and it gets done late.

One thing, I would hope that the medical report from the doctor would assist in "postponing" your ROC interview until you return to the US. I can see how a doctors advice against flying would hold some sway with USCIS.

If your Doctor says she can't fly, I would seek a second opinion just to be sure. Some doctors are more cautious than others and that's good, but given what difficulties you'd face (how difficult it would be postpone, all the paperwork needed and the risk involved) that your doctor next week will be honest and positive.

Please let us know how it goes. Once again, **fingers crossed** for you both!

We will keep everyone updated. I'm sure we are not the first people to face this challenge, nor will be the last.

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

March 14, 2008 - Married

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

when is the baby due?

I suggest you find another doctor, get second opinion.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thank you, Darnell

Actually we have two opinions. We had the first opinion from a mid-wife, who I dismissed her thoughts, and scheduled an appointment with a Doctor. He said the same thing.

We may still seek one more opinion, it depends on what the Doctor reports, and the results of the sonogram.

The real question comes back to this, I'm not as concerned about medical advice. I'll leave that to the Doctors. If they claim it is putting the baby at risk, quite simply, we will not travel.

If it becomes the case we cannot travel, then I need to put together a plan for trying to insure my wife's ability to come back to the USA. I'm with her in the Philippines, and we are just trying to plan for the worst, while we prepare for the best case.

when is the baby due?

I suggest you find another doctor, get second opinion.

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

March 14, 2008 - Married

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Don't they have boats from the Phil to the U.S.? I am sure you can get something to South Korea or Japan which I know for sure has trips to the west coast for something around $1000. With her still being a ways off, I don't understand how spending a few days on a boat could really cause trouble.... and they often have doctors on those boats anyway.... something to check into at least.

I've never checked on ship travel between the two locations, but when you say a few days, I think you should be saying a few weeks. It is a long haul by ship. As far as I know, the only ships which travel that route are freighters, which may have a few bunks for hire, but I'm quite sure they will not have a doctor aboard.

Don't they have boats from the Phil to the U.S.? I am sure you can get something to South Korea or Japan which I know for sure has trips to the west coast for something around $1000. With her still being a ways off, I don't understand how spending a few days on a boat could really cause trouble.... and they often have doctors on those boats anyway.... something to check into at least.

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

March 14, 2008 - Married

My only concern with you trying to remove conditions from there is she would have to have her fingerprints taken in order for the 10 year GC to be approved.

Given a circumstance like this, though, I would think there would be some way they could accomplish that without requiring you to return to the states. Perhaps having her fingerprints done at the consulate - though that is Dept of State and they'd somehow have to get that information back to DHS. But I'm sure it's not impossible - it would probably just take some planning.

If you do indeed find she cannot travel, I would contact your congressman's office for assistance before you file so that you have a game plan. They have an immigration liaison who could reach out to USCIS and see what they suggest you do. I would NOT call the (MIS)information line. They'd probably advise you wrong and jeopardize her status.

*edited for typo*

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I've never checked on ship travel between the two locations, but when you say a few days, I think you should be saying a few weeks. It is a long haul by ship. As far as I know, the only ships which travel that route are freighters, which may have a few bunks for hire, but I'm quite sure they will not have a doctor aboard.

There is a cruise ship that takes 10-12 days from I think Was. to Japan. Search on google for "cruise ship to Japan" or something like that. Back in Nov. I was thinking about heading to Japan and then on to China, but the one way ticket was $1000 or $1200 plus the $150 boat to northern China... compared to just $1050 for a round trip ticket to beijing.

Edited by freetv

Thank you, Tracy

I had not thought about contacting my congressman, that is a great idea. I might send it to both my representative, and the senators to see what happens.

Thank you, FreeTV

I was not aware of a cruise ship. We would still need to find a way to get to Japan. I'll run your idea past the Doctor next week and see what he says.

My only concern with you trying to remove conditions from there is she would have to have her fingerprints taken in order for the 10 year GC to be approved.

Given a circumstance like this, though, I would think there would be some way they could accomplish that without requiring you to return to the states. Perhaps having her fingerprints done at the consulate - though that is Dept of State and they'd somehow have to get that information back to DHS. But I'm sure it's not impossible - it would probably just take some planning.

If you do indeed find she cannot travel, I would contact your congressman's office for assistance before you file so that you have a game plan. They have an immigration liaison who could reach out to USCIS and see what they suggest you do. I would NOT call the (MIS)information line. They'd probably advise you wrong and jeopardize her status.

*edited for typo*

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

March 14, 2008 - Married

Yep - I think reaching out to both the rep and senator's office is a good idea - see who 'bites' first. Sometimes they're not as quick to react as we'd like so its probably good to try both. Though I'd just involve the first one who takes it and runs with it.

SA4userbar.jpg

Another strategy might be to go ahead and abandon the current green card. Then apply for a new IR-1 visa (via DCF or otherwise). By now, you've been married over two years, so you'd get an unconditional green card. And you've been through the process, and have lots of evidence (including a newborn child), so the second visa should be easier to obtain than the first was. There is the issue of timelines, but if you're going to be unable to travel anyway, you can start the process soon and probably have the visa in time to return to the US when desired.

I'm not saying that's automatically the best strategy for you, but it's something to consider if it looks like removal of conditions and avoiding abandonment issues will be too difficult.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Timeline

I understand that airplanes are a fairly new invention, but we already have come a long way from the times of the Wright Brothers and even Charles Lindbergh. Today sitting for 5 hours in an airplane is not much different from sitting for 5 hours in a movie theater.

How did people ever have children in the early days, I wonder? They had babies in caves, on pirate ships, in the Sahara desert, traveled in wagons across the wild west, with no doctor or even fresh water within days' reach. Nowadays we are afraid to enter a luxurious plane a few months before delivery date? Are you serious? I mean, really?

Getoutahere!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.