Jolex

Marriage-Registry

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My fiance just got in the country couple of days ago on a K1 and we are planning on getting married ASAP.... The court said both bride and groom should have SS# before Marriage license can be issued. Since he does not have a SS# yet, I'm thinking mine should be enough.... has anyone experience this before. Is this for all States? please advise

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Moving from US Embassy and consulate discussion to "moving here and your new life..."

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Go Easy if you don't get 'instant approval' on the SSN at a SSA office.

The computers at POE for CBP don't sync up automatically with SSA computers ...

Sometimes is done in 'batch mode', weekly ...

If they say 'you'll have something in 3 weeks' - stop, don't apply, tell them to forget.

IMO, the magic window is 2 weeks + 2 days from POE date.

But hey - go to try, yes? You might get lucky the first time you go.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My fiance just got in the country couple of days ago on a K1 and we are planning on getting married ASAP.... The court said both bride and groom should have SS# before Marriage license can be issued. Since he does not have a SS# yet, I'm thinking mine should be enough.... has anyone experience this before. Is this for all States? please advise

In addition to the advice given to apply for the SS# ASAP... also call your local Clerk of Court's office and ask if the SS# is REALLY required in order to obtain a marriage license. Many offices say in their written instructions or on their website that the SS# is required, but many (if not most) of them will also go head and issue a license without it.

No need of SS# for foreign fiance(e)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

This was discussed in a different thread (and totally off the topic of that thread too) I guess there was a court decision last year which actually prohibited states from requiring the SSN from people. AZ asks for it, but when we explained that he wasn't a US citizen she just said, "Oh, OK" and that was the end of that!

Try to get the marriage license by both going in person to apply for it and just see how it goes. If you still run into issues, then go for the SSN.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do not need SSN for marriage registry. I am the foreign fiancee, I got married to my American husband first. Then few weeks later i applied for SSN and received it in a week in my maiden name first. Then I went back and received a new SSN with my married name on it.

The Lord is my strength and my shield,

My heart trusted in Him and I am helped,

therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

and with my song I will praise Him.

Psalm 28:7

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I share the same concern. Arizona ( where we are currently living) does not ask for an SSN however, Alabama (the state where Chris' family is thereby we're looking into having our wedding there) asks couples to provide a Social Security number as one of their requirements in applying for a marriage license.

Has anyone actually experienced getting a marriage license from a state that requires them to have an SSN, but obtained such license without presenting an SSN especially from the non-US citizen party? Please let me know. Thanks ahead!

Reunited for good and it feels so good!

----- I-129F ------

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-05

NOA2 : 2009-09-01

Medical : 2009-10-01/02

Interview : 2009-10-13

POE (San Francisco) : 2009-11-20

Wedding : 2009-12-30

SSN (Married Name) : 2010-01-11

SSN Card Arrival : 2010-01-15

AOS Sent: 2010-03-19

AOS Arrived: 2010-03-25

AOS&EAD Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-30 dated 2010-04-23

AP Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-01

Biometrics Taken: 2010-05-07

Biometrics Schedule: 2010-05-21

EAD Card Arrived: 2010-06-16

Interview Schedule: 2010-06-25

Removal of Conditions

Packet Sent: May 14, 2012

Packet Received: May 16, 2012

INFOPASS Schedule: June 14, 2012

Biometrics Taken: June 14, 2012 (same day passport was stamped 1-551/6-month extension inc work authorization)

Biometrics Schedule: June 27, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Burke County in NC required a social security number for both parties to apply for a license to get married. After calling up the register of deeds, they said if you are not eligible for one you can sign for an affidavit attesting to it.

However, K1 is eligible to one. You can apply within 2 weeks of landing so you are in their SAVE-ASVI(?) system, it worked for me. It took 7 days to get the SS card in the mail.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hello, i entered the US on new years day with a K1 visa too. i have no ss but my guy is a citizen so he had. we got married over a week ago. u dont need to have ss before u can marry,as long as ue partner has.

best of luck.

I just want to say to all the posters who are new to the USA. Marriage laws are handled by the State government, not the US government. So there are 50 different sets of rules for getting married in the US. The same is true for driver's licenses. Your best answer will come from calling the local office that issues marriage licenses in the state where you plan to have the ceremony.

As other's have said, sometimes online instructions will say both need a SSN. And the form may have a blank for the SSN. But we were informed after calling the local office, "If you have a SSN, then you must provide it, but if you don't then a photo id like a foreign passport is accepted and you write none in the SSN box." We got married about 5 days after he entered the US so didn't have time to wait on a SS card.

Just call and ask what is appropriate for the state and county where you will marry. They won't bite.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.