Mom2LilNoah

wallet, pick-pocketed: Interview close

27 posts in this topic

Call me negligent, careless and more, that's ok because I am guilty. But I need your help on this.

My wallet's gone with my: driver's license, greencard, EAD, and other important things. What's ironic is that my interview is on the 8th of next month, what should I do since I no longer have my greencard to present as original? It's indeed bad timing for this incident to happen but if I request for a new one, will I have the chance to get my new one in time, I just don't know what to do, especially too that tomorrow is Sunday and all offices are closed. Please guys help me, your inputs will be highly appreciated. I got all the blames already that I could take in, so what I need is your help that will alleviate the dilemma I am in. Thanks.

:crying::crying:

Edited by Mom2LilNoah

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sorry to hear about that. I think that you ought to report it stolen.

Here is the page on the USCIS website about replacing a green card. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thanks for the referral. So, the only solution available for me is get a replacement. Since I believe it won't be here before my Interview, does that mean I have to reschedule my appointment?

Sorry to hear about that. I think that you ought to report it stolen.

Here is the page on the USCIS website about replacing a green card. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

Edited by Mom2LilNoah

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have no experience with this situation. And the timing stinks. My thought is to make an InfoPass appointment to get an answer from someone face to face.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Sorry to hear you were a victim of crime. GC's are expensive to replace. We need to decide if carrying it always is the right thing to do, and just carry a photocopy. See if you can reschedule your appt if needed. Good Luck.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that your green card was stolen. You will need to make a police report and then submit a request for a replacement card using a form I-90 (and pay the fee :( ) http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD . If you were applying for a benefit instead of at the interview stage you would include copies of the police report and the I-90 in with the application. Since you are so close to the interview I suggest you prepare the I-90 and bring the form with you to the interview just in case you don't need to mail it after all. They can advise you if you then need to mail the form or if they will allow some sort of exemption under the circumstances. If you end up not having to mail the form and pay the fee, great - but if you need to they will tell you so at the interview and you can do it right away since you will have everything ready to go. If you do have to file the I-90 it may delay your naturalization ceremony as well, but the Immigration Officer at your interview will be the best one to advise you about what to do and what to expect.

Do get the police report filed, though, and have the I-90 ready, just in case. Good luck at the interview.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Why the F*** are you putting an incredibly important and excruciatingly expensive to replace document in your wallet?

A driver license, sure, cash, yep, a condom . . . why not, but your one and only GREEN CARD?

Are you flashing it around on a daily basis at the bus stop ore homeless shelter, just to show off? If so, karma hits you right where it hurts most: in the wallet. And don't tell me you need to carry it, just in case. BULLs***!

You were begging for a lesson, and I only hope others will learn it without the $300+ price tag: the GC belongs right next to your passport and the stack of cash, in the safest place of your home, unless you are traveling internationally!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline
Why the F*** are you putting an incredibly important and excruciatingly expensive to replace document in your wallet?

A driver license, sure, cash, yep, a condom . . . why not, but your one and only GREEN CARD?

Are you flashing it around on a daily basis at the bus stop ore homeless shelter, just to show off? If so, karma hits you right where it hurts most: in the wallet. And don't tell me you need to carry it, just in case. BULLs***!

You were begging for a lesson, and I only hope others will learn it without the $300+ price tag: the GC belongs right next to your passport and the stack of cash, in the safest place of your home, unless you are traveling internationally!

:rolleyes: Because it is the law, that's why. Please do not advise people against this, it has been previously discussed.

to the OP: report the stolen property asap. Make an Infopass appointment as soon as you get the police report and ask them. Maybe -emphasis on maybe- they will tell you NOT to file the I-90; but only they can make that assessment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This forum is here to help people not be a total A** to them. I have seen your other comments on this forum and they are quite rude. If you don't have anything helpful to say then shut the hell up. Nobody here wants to sit and listen to your BS. I am sure this person already feels like #######. We don't need you making them feel worse in a stressful situation. Are you perfect?...NO so keep your rude comments to yourself!!!!

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Certainly a matter of concern and kind of dumb when they print the phone number you are suppose to call immediately on the back of credit cards is they are lost or stolen, how are you suppose to call that number? Good to photo copy everything you carry in your wallet.

Women are far more susceptible to thief since they carry all that stuff in a purse and was of concern to me with two new women in the house. Can get a new SS card free, call all the credit card companies for free, cost 30 bucks for a new driver's license you can get the next business day, but they make it so miserable and expensive to replace a green card, thank God or whoever, you don't have to carry your USC certificate with you. My daughter didn't have to carry her green card until she was 18 and did have her purse stolen, so stuff like this does happen, her green card was in my safe, but she carries it now and hopefully won't lose it until she gets her USC. USCIS does put you between a rock and a hard place on this issue.

Don't quite get this statement:

"My wallet's gone with my: driver's license, greencard, EAD, and other important things."

Wasn't your EAD expired a long time ago? So why are you carrying that? But kind of worthless now.

Have yet to read an experience from a person losing their green card before their USC interview. We had to send in copies of my wife's conditional green card and one year extension notice as her ten year card didn't come in yet. To be honest, I kept that ten year card in our safe along with other important documents for those couple of weeks until her interview, then back in the safe until she took her oath. Mainly because the USCIS makes getting a new card extremely miserable. Wife or daughter never were asked to show their card except when visiting our field offices.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Accept my sympathy for your lost documents prior to your citizenship interview on 12082009. My quick suggestion/solution to this problem are

I. Get a police report

II. Print and file I-90 with the USCIS for GC replacement on Monday morning 30112009 (same day or next day delivery). If possible you can include a letter explaining your predicament and how urgently you need the receipt (NOA1) in the mail on or before 12072009.

I guess you should get the NOA1 in the mail with or without the letter on or before Saturday 12052009. I think with this NOA1 in your hand you should be good to go.

or

III. Make an infopass to see an IO tomorrow possibly.

I wish you luck, and have a successful interview on 12082009.

Call me negligent, careless and more, that's ok because I am guilty. But I need your help on this.

My wallet's gone with my: driver's license, greencard, EAD, and other important things. What's ironic is that my interview is on the 8th of next month, what should I do since I no longer have my greencard to present as original? It's indeed bad timing for this incident to happen but if I request for a new one, will I have the chance to get my new one in time, I just don't know what to do, especially too that tomorrow is Sunday and all offices are closed. Please guys help me, your inputs will be highly appreciated. I got all the blames already that I could take in, so what I need is your help that will alleviate the dilemma I am in. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Accept my sympathy for your lost documents prior to your citizenship interview on 12082009. My quick suggestion/solution to this problem are

I. Get a police report

II. Print and file I-90 with the USCIS for GC replacement on Monday morning 30112009 (same day or next day delivery). If possible you can include a letter explaining your predicament and how urgently you need the receipt (NOA1) in the mail on or before 12072009.

I guess you should get the NOA1 in the mail with or without the letter on or before Saturday 12052009. I think with this NOA1 in your hand you should be good to go.

or

III. Make an infopass to see an IO tomorrow possibly.

I wish you luck, and have a successful interview on 12082009.

Shoudn't the poster also include a check for, "$290. Biometrics fee of $80 may be included."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I do not think you need to apply for replacement since you will not have any use for it once you get naturalized.Besides, it is not going to be replaced within such short notice.

What you must do is to go to a police station and report the incident and keep the copies of the report and present it during the interview.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:rolleyes: Because it is the law, that's why. Please do not advise people against this, it has been previously discussed.

:thumbs::thumbs:

to the OP: report the stolen property asap. Make an Infopass appointment as soon as you get the police report and ask them. Maybe -emphasis on maybe- they will tell you NOT to file the I-90; but only they can make that assessment.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.