Wis-Can

What do they teach about Canada in America Schools?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Umm Canada??? Were the hell is that? Isn't that country the same as France....ready to surrender when faced with war????

:lol:

umm we are the only country to successfully invade the US.... the White House is named the White House cuz we burned it and they had to repaint it! what color did they choose? white... therefor - white house!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Umm Canada??? Were the hell is that? Isn't that country the same as France....ready to surrender when faced with war????

umm we are the only country to successfully invade the US.... the White House is named the White House cuz we burned it and they had to repaint it! what color did they choose? white... therefor - white house!

Haha so true.. Canadian jokes get a little played out after awhile (for me anyways after being here 3 years don't know about the rest). My nephew actually asked me when he was 5 if my parents spoke English because he thought that they were from a different country and didn't speak English.. i just started laughing because here i was having known him for 2 years and spoke perfect English lol.

USPS sent AOS and I-130-2/20/2010

Arrived and received-2/22/2010

Checks Cashed-3/3/2010

All 3 NOA's Received-3/4/2010

All Forms Touched-3/4/2010

Biometrics Letter-3/11/2010 Appointment date 3/25/2010

I-130 and I-765 Touched-3/11/2010 though no e-mail update hmm.

Biometrics completed Walk-in-03/16/2010

I-485 and I-765 Touched-03/17/2010

Interview Letter-04/02/2010 for May 4th,2010

I-130 and I-485 Touched-04/23/2010

EAD Approved Card Ordered-5/3/2010

Interview-5/4/2010...APPROVED!!

Welcome Letter-5/10/2010

I-130 Approval Notice-5/10/2010

Green Card production Ordered Again-5/11/2010

EAD Received-5/24/2010

GREEN CARD RECEIVED FINALLY!!!-06/01/2010

Sent I-751 ROC-05/01/2012

Received and signed-05/02/2012

People in the US don't even know about other states in the US, much less about neighboring countries. I moved from UPSTATE NY (you know, dairy cow land, Niagara Falls and what not) to Texas.

More than one person has asked me if it's weird that people here in Texas have cars. We never drove anywhere in NY right?? :wacko:

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

Er...Canada has never surrendered in a war, let alone been on the losing side of one.

I'm not saying Canada is a particularly militant country, since it's not...but at least you can't call Canadians cowards.

Well over 100 Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan over the past several years, trying to quell the Taliban.

I know your comment was meant in jest, but...well...maybe it wasn't put across as well as it could have been.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

WOW this is so funny, hey what part of Wisconsin are you from? I am from Green Bay.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband's uncle (in Tennessee) asked if we celebrated Christmas and New Years the same time as them! That cracked me up! I actually looked at him like he was kidding, until I realized he wasn't. ;)

But heck, you can turn on the TV and listen to the former VP ####### Cheney's daughter tell Larry King that Canadians are not able to choose their own doctor - that the government decides who our doctor will be!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I moved from UPSTATE NY (you know, dairy cow land, Niagara Falls and what not) to Texas.
The good news is that the "what not" includes Canandaigua, si man. The better news is that you are in Texas, si man. The rotten news is that Cananadaigua is not in Texas, no man.

And, the OP alluded to Newfies -- probably the only remote counterpart to Texas Aggies, si man, eh!

Q: How did the Texas Aggie (or Newfie) break his leg raking leaves?

A: He fell out of the tree, eh man.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Know ur only kidding, but Canada has a very proud military history. We entered the Word Wars much before the USA did. And we had many cdns volunteering for Vietnam. And with Canada in Afghanistan, they have had to turn back people trying to enlist. Canada is known more for its peacekeeping efforts, which is a positive thing. loved my 15 yrs in the Cdn Armed Forces

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

It was all in jest when in fact I love Canada....one of the only countries in the world that lets you be free to smoke 'DOPE' I love the compassion shops in BC....bring your kids, they will be watched in the on site day care and your free to smoke it up...Sign me up!

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

When I was young, and attending school, we learned little if anything about Canadian History. All our textbooks came from the U.S. Most were inaccurate when they did talk about Canadian History. Most if not all of the history and geography I learned in schools, until I was in highschool anyway, was American. This was in the 60's.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I know when I went through School we did learn about the United States in History and Geography and Modern World Problems. We learned how many states, each of there names, the US flag and what the stars and stripes mean. The US involved in wars and conflicts. Past Presidents and what they did for the country. We even learned the climates of various states. I found they taught a little bit of the world in general, but we seem to learn the most about Canada and the next door neighbors, The United States. I think I need to write a letter to Tourism Nova Scotia, they need to be paying me for promoting the Province!

Its a bit of a culture shock to come here to Wisconsin. I am finding some people are very nice, others not so much. I am so use to a place where everyone talks to you. If you meet someone new back home you invite them over for dinner,...give'em a beer and put your feet up. I've been here three months now and haven't made one friend. It will come my sweetie keeps telling me.

Of all the places in Canada that I have been to, Nova Scotia is by far my favorite. I don't think that there is anywhere you could move to where you would find people as friendly as there. I spent alot of time in Antigonish and I'm hoping to take my wife on a trip to the East Coast next summer. I can't remember what town it was in but, there was an old converted church that served a lobster dinner (this is some 15 years ago). It was amazing.

I once stopped in at a little convenience store there. The guy behind the counter was about as old as Moses; he owned the store. It was about 10 am and we started talking. I didn't leave until nearly 4....and that was after he treated me to lunch.

Have you visited Copper Falls up in Northern Wisconsin? It is a great State Park...especially if you lie doing scenery photography.

As for the comments about your license plates...ever considered it may simply be you're living in Wisconsin?

Ken

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Canadians? Who are they? They are like Americans without the guns, right?

And don't they have their own national bacon?

Forget health-care reform. I propose a comprehensive American national bacon plan.

You know, there are dumb ppl all over the world. When I was in France I would tell ppl I was from NY, and a few French ppl asked me if NYC encompassed the entire state of NY.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

WOW this is so funny, hey what part of Wisconsin are you from? I am from Green Bay.

I'm living just outside of Antigo...about and hour and half away from you!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

My husband's uncle (in Tennessee) asked if we celebrated Christmas and New Years the same time as them! That cracked me up! I actually looked at him like he was kidding, until I realized he wasn't. ;)

But heck, you can turn on the TV and listen to the former VP ####### Cheney's daughter tell Larry King that Canadians are not able to choose their own doctor - that the government decides who our doctor will be!

Too funny, some of my honey's family asked me if we celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas in Canada too...I laughed till I realized they weren't joking.

Yes, listening to them talk about the healthcare debate was downright hilarious, there was one program on that the news reporters were out interviewing everyday people and some of the comments...well..they were concerned that they will kill off the old people, like they do in Canada, so the government won't have to pay for their healthcare. Good grief!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.