Der Bücherwurm

Should there be an SO visa for those that want to be together without having to marry?

SO visa.  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a visa for those that want to cohabitate but never marry?

• Hell yes!
    • Uhm, no.
    • Unsure.
    • What was the question again?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Some countries allow a citizen to petition an SO so that you can be with the one you love whether you are gay or straight without having to marry. I know Scandinavian countries allow for this since most people there live together as 'samboere' without ever marrying. So I'm wondering why the US doesn't allow for this...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ireland does it too- you need to prove a relationship of 2+ years though.

I voted "no". I feel if your relationship is not strong enough to get married (at least legally, whatever about religiously), you don't need an immigration visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Some countries allow a citizen to petition an SO so that you can be with the one you love whether you are gay or straight without having to marry. I know Scandinavian countries allow for this since most people there live together as 'samboere' without ever marrying. So I'm wondering why the US doesn't allow for this...

This country isn't worth sneaking into anymore. All the illegal immigrants stole the gold that once paved the streets.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we already have to wait a long time for any visa fiance. children or marraige can u imagine how long the wait would be if they started processing s/o visas for people that have not intention of marraige?

sara

No, because then it will be harder to distinguish between real couples and fake ones. People would be bringing their friends in on SO visas.

Nay.

The idea of the special visa for gay couples is good, but I rather feel the need for changing the marriage law first than changing the visa system.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

No because we have enough problems with fraud here as it is

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Yes because you are basically forced to marry when you come in on a Fiancée visa. I mean 90 days to marry isn't a whole lot of time to get to know someone and see if you want to spend the rest of your life with them.

There is a huge difference between a long distance (country to country) relationship where you see each other 2-3 times a year (if that) versus being in a "regular relationship" where each mate is within a short driving distance.

Either create the Booty Call Visa or extend the 90 day grace period to 1-2 years IMO.

You mean, something like a booty call visa?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Absolutely. I'd like to see an SO visa with the same kind of process as a K-1 visa, with the requirement for adjusting status being the establishment of a joint household. The requirement for maintaining the status could then be renewal every two years or until marriage, proving that the petitioner and beneficiary are maintaining a relationship and a joint household.

Edit: Confucian's idea of extending the 90 days of legal status afforded by the K-1 visa is also a very good idea.

Ireland does it too- you need to prove a relationship of 2+ years though.

I voted "no". I feel if your relationship is not strong enough to get married (at least legally, whatever about religiously), you don't need an immigration visa.

You know, there are those who feel that living together before getting married is a must. You may not agree, but to outright claim that the people who don't follow your path to marriage "don't need" an immigration visa is more than a little silly.

Edited by Mikkel

It truly must be with the help of divine intervention that after entering into this well-defined bureaucratic process, we were blessed with the expected outcome within the predefined timeline. Praise deities!

I-129F timeline

-----

02-09-09 - I-129F sent.

02-11-09 - NOA1.

06-15-09 - NOA2.

08-27-09 - Packet 3 received.

10-03-09 - Packet 4 received.

10-08-09 - Interview date - Approved. (Visa in hand 10-16-09)

02-03-10 - Date of entry.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
You know, there are those who feel that living together before getting married is a must. You may not agree, but to outright claim that the people who don't follow your path to marriage "don't need" an immigration visa is more than a little silly.

:thumbs:

I agree. My husband and I lived together for a year before getting married. Neither of us needs a piece of paper to tell us how we feel about one another but we had no choice but to get that piece of paper in order to apply for his visa. Had we met in the US we'd probably just live together without ever getting married. There are plenty of cultures out there where people cohabit with one another for far longer than most traditional marriages last. Perhaps it is people that need material objects like a ring and a piece of paper to feel secure in their relationship that are the ones whose relationship isn't strong enough.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
we already have to wait a long time for any visa fiance. children or marraige can u imagine how long the wait would be if they started processing s/o visas for people that have not intention of marraige?

sara

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: my opinion exactly!

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-04-07

I-129F RFE(s) : Thanks to VJ NONE!!!!!

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-24

NVC Received : 2009-08-26

NVC Left : 2009-10-06 41 days of AP at NVC

Consulate Received : 2009-10-08

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-11-10

Visa Received : 2009-11-17

US Entry : 2009-11-21

Marriage : 2009-12-18 Married!!!!!!

Comments : INTERVIEW PASSED!!!!!!!!!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 139 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes but with conditions like yearly immigration visits to see where the relationship is at. There is no reason people from all countries shouldn't be able to come here since we're founded as a melting pot. You want government jobs then expand immigration and make more people happy not just gays but all couples who want to make a go at it and live together and really get to know each other before marriage. It would sure answer a lot of questions quickly within the first 6 months and at a six month interview you could decide if you want to go for another six months. It could be like a renewal contract where the citizen gets to decide instead of the government, as we're already a highly surveillanced society, unless the government could prove a valid reason why such as a reason of national security but the burden of proof resides on them.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png