BETTYB

My Fiance was denied entry into the US for failure to leave during his last and only visit to the US within the 90 day period.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello Everyone...

This is my first posting on this website (which my best friend referred me to).

My fiance is German. He traveled to the United States about 7 months ago to visit a friend. While here, he overstayed the 90 day period given to visit. He ended up turning himself in and returning to Germany.

The individual that he spoke to here in the US as he was leaving to return to Germany, told him that he wasn't under arrest, nor was there any 'crime' involved. No misdemeanor, etc.

He flew here to Boston last Thursday, October 15, 2009 and was denied entry by the Immigration Department at the airport. They sent him back to Germany with no entry, an Officer telling me that he was not allowed to enter due to his overstaying in the US on his last and only visit.

Upon returning to Germany this time around, an Immigration Officer here at Logan Airport told him to contact his local Consulate/Embassy/Immigration Department to begin the process of what needs to be done in order for him to return to the US without any issues.

He has done so, the German Government checking his criminal records, etc. They have told him that he has cleared that without any problems, no record, criminal or otherwise.

We are now trying to figure out what our next step is.

We want him to be able to return to the US ASAP, the lawful and correct way. At the moment, we want him to be able to get here and then we will continue the process up until we marry.

Does anyone have any advice about this matter so that we can have all of the proper documentation in order, any fees we may need to pay, etc?

By going to other websites, it appears just to simply fill out forms and apply costs in upwards of $300.00 + dollars.

He was not turned away due to any federal criminal charges per se, simply that he overstayed last time around.

Do our chances look good considering I have a very stable job and income, own property, am current on my mortgage without any issues, do not owe the IRS any taxes, and have no criminal record?

Thank you to anyone and everyone who may have some advice for us.

As all of you are, we are in love and simply want to be together at this point before we go onto the Fiance Visa and more forms and paperwork.

Thank You again!

Most Sincerely!Entry into the US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He was directed to speak to someone at the US Embassy, not the German govt. You are correct that it is about his overstay.

The USCIS operates under the assumption that every person entering the US is presumed to have immigrant intent. I believe that he now has to apply for a tourist visa and isn't able to use the Visa Waiver Program. Others will correct me if I am wrong. He has to prove that he is only coming to visit, not stay.

At this point you have to decide how you want to proceed: marry in Germany or marry in the US. Reading the Guides here on VJ will help you to determine the proper steps.

Best of luck. Welcome to VJ.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

If your fiance just wants to visit you he will need to apply for a B2 visa. See here http://germany.usembassy.gov/germany/visa/visitor_visa.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The overstay, sadly, may come back to haunt him again. He no longer qualifies for the VWP so he'll have to apply for a B-2 visa where the overstay will likely be brought up again. How long did he overstay?

Alternatively you could file the K-1 fiance visa or get married and file the Cr-1

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

Someone who accumulated illegal presence in the US, and is engaged to a US citizen, is highly unlikely to get a B2 . Before I pull out the Book of Magic I'd like to know how long he overstayed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

BETTY,

at "about 6 months" overstay, a 3-year ban was triggered the moment your fiancee left the US. This ban can be overcome by filing an I-601 waiver by the USC spouse. It cost $545 to file. Since you are not married yet, however, this is not a valid option at this point.

Generally speaking, anybody who violated the term of the VWP, cannot enter the US again under said program. Therefore, your fiancee would have to apply for a B2 visa. However, I doubt that they would grant it, for obvious reasons. Also keep in mind, that he would have to state that he's engaged to a USC. All that combined makes the B2 application a lost proposition.

What's left?

Trying to file for a K-1 would perhaps work. I'm not sure, however, if the I-601 card could be pulled here. I'm sure others know and can chime in.

If none of that works, the only option I see in to marry in Germany, then file DCF and the I-601 concurrently.

That's it in a nutshell. Perhaps other users have more or better ideas to contribute.

Best of luck to you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i have a question u stated that

"We want him to be able to return to the US ASAP, the lawful and correct way. At the moment, we want him to be able to get here and then we will continue the process up until we marry."

does this mean u wanted him to come and get married with out first applying for K1 visa?

if that is the case then it would be visa fraud no matter what visa he comes in on unless it is K1.........

sara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
i have a question u stated that

"We want him to be able to return to the US ASAP, the lawful and correct way. At the moment, we want him to be able to get here and then we will continue the process up until we marry."

does this mean u wanted him to come and get married with out first applying for K1 visa?

if that is the case then it would be visa fraud no matter what visa he comes in on unless it is K1.........

This is correct. Sounds like you will have to go there, marry him, file the I-601 and then a CR-1 or DCF while you are there with him.

sara

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You may file a K1 or do a CR1.

B2 looks like a lost cause currently.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.