Gary_UK

Need to leave the US after entry on K1 due to death in the family.

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
The assumption of getting married tomorrow, is that one can put in the AoS paperwork at the Infopass appointment. That means the AP can be applied for, and the people at Infopass would be able to act on the request at that stage.

Easier said than done. Locally filed I-485's have not been accepted for many years...

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if the local office only forwarded the application to the regional office without taking any action whatever on it, and since the application didn't come into the system by the normal route, it could take a long time to get where it needs to be. Even if it were possible, this is essentially asking for a bureaucratic process that normally takes months to be boiled down to a few days.

I think re-validating the visa has a much better chance of getting done in the timeframe needed. All he'd be asking the consulate to do is rubber stamp something they already approved only weeks before, and he'd be asking the same bureaucrats to do it.

A possible suggestion - I don't know the situation with the OP's family, or how this would be received, but it might be possible to send a written or video recorded eulogy that could be delivered by a proxy at the funeral. When my mother's second husband died, my sister and I were able to attend, but my brother was not. He sent his written eulogy, and I read it for him at the funeral. Everyone understood why he was not able to attend, and nobody thought any less of him. We sent him a video recording of the funeral.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
The assumption of getting married tomorrow, is that one can put in the AoS paperwork at the Infopass appointment. That means the AP can be applied for, and the people at Infopass would be able to act on the request at that stage.

Very unlikely outcome mate. The Op should go with the above advice for a Visa Re-issue, as stated before.

IMO, this is correct. The OP needs to choose between a wedding today and attending his mother's funeral. He cannot do both. There is a way to delay the marriage but not the funeral. Hopefully the call to the London Embassy has already been made.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Agreed with the previous posters saying to postpone the marriage and contact the Embassy. In fact, I almost had to get this done, myself. The official response was that they could reissue the visa but it had to be for a very good reason.

I am so terribly sorry for your loss, Gary. (F)

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I really hate it when someone starts something and leaves people hanging after they try so much to help.

I think the OP may have bigger issues to deal with right now... I am sure they will come back and let us all know what happened.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

go to your local immigration office and explain the situation, I would also call immigration and tell them you need an emergency advance parole or whatever that would let you come back, do not change anything with your marital status because that can lead you to file all over for a K3 visa. I am very sorry for your loss.

What a terrible situation. Deepest sympathy Gary & I hope you find resolve. (F)

K1

5/16/08:Received NA01

2/24/09: NA02 APPROVAL... finally, after 9 MONTHS & 8 DAYS!!

5/5/09 : Interview Date APPROVED!!!!

5/8/09: visa received

From NA01 to interview: 12 LONG MONTHS!!

07/23/09: received SSN

08/17/09: Passed Driving test

08/22/09: Married on beautiful Mackinac Island, MI

AOS

08/31/09: Mailed AOS Package

10/20/09: Received AP

10/21/09 Received EAD card

12/7/09 AOS APPROVED!

12/14/09: Green Card arrived in mail. Happy Days!

It's taken 18 months from applying for K1 to receipt of Green Card! Thank God it's over until 12/7/11

Here we go again...

ROC

09/14/11: Mailed I-751 to Vermont

09/19/11: NA01

10/14/11: Biometrics

7/2/12: Approved. New Card Ordered

7/7/12: Green Card received

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
I really hate it when someone starts something and leaves people hanging after they try so much to help.

I think the OP may have bigger issues to deal with right now... I am sure they will come back and let us all know what happened.

Think so? The issue was dealt with by now for sure. Now almost a week later.

Edited by endoftheroad

moving right along

Give the guy a break, he just moved countries, planned a wedding, had his mother die and is trying to balance his immigration and family issues. I'm sure he has a lot to deal with in a week.

Give the guy a break, he just moved countries, planned a wedding, had his mother die and is trying to balance his immigration and family issues. I'm sure he has a lot to deal with in a week.

Seriously, geez!!

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.