21 posts in this topic

So before I knew about this fantastic site I had enlisted the services of a lawyer for this immigration process. I have paid the lawyer for the 129f that is already done...here's the questions. When I look at the invoice they sent me it has the costs for the 129f and the AOS. I've only paid them for the 129f because at this point that's all I've filed. But here's the thing they have on the invoice that I would be filing a I130 along with the I485 is this correct? I'm asking because #1 they obviously want to charge me for processing the I130, which is a fee of $355 + their fees of $500, then they say the I485 AOS is $1010( which I know is right) + their fees of 2000 . #2 everything I read on this websites says the AOS is $1010 which is what have listed for the cost but does the I130 really get filed after you've done the K1 process? I've pretty much already decided I'm not going to have them do the AOS because I know with the help of this site I'm plenty capable of doing it on my own but I'm curious as to if the I130 needs to be filed or if they were just screwing me out of more money :) Thanks for the help!

Jaymie

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

The only time a K-1 entrant would file an I-130 is if he/she did not get married within the 90 day period after entering the US. (So the $1010 AOS fee is correct if married within the 90 days after entering the US - and this fee includes the I-765 EAD and, if desired, the I-131 AP.)

The only time a K-1 entrant would file an I-130 is if he/she did not get married within the 90 day period after entering the US. (So the $1010 AOS fee is correct if married within the 90 days after entering the US - and this fee includes the I-765 EAD and, if desired, the I-131 AP.)

So basically they were just trying to get more money. That's just AWESOME! NO reason whatsoever to file an I130 with a K1 visa which is the I129f. If they question why I'm not having them do the rest of my immigration process I'll make sure I point out because they were trying to file and charge me for paperwork that wasnt needed. After reading this site about a million times I had a feeling it wasn't right.

Thanks for the quick response.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So basically they were just trying to get more money. That's just AWESOME! NO reason whatsoever to file an I130 with a K1 visa which is the I129f. If they question why I'm not having them do the rest of my immigration process I'll make sure I point out because they were trying to file and charge me for paperwork that wasnt needed. After reading this site about a million times I had a feeling it wasn't right.

Wow! 2000 in fees for them to do an AOS?!?!! That's crazy!! Get rid, do some research and file it yourself.

There's plenty of people on here to help you out every step on the way!! (and also point and laugh at your mistakes :whistle: )

Your mistakes will help others, so use other peoples mistakes to help you!!

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Wow! 2000 in fees for them to do an AOS?!?!! That's crazy!! Get rid, do some research and file it yourself.

There's plenty of people on here to help you out every step on the way!! (and also point and laugh at your mistakes :whistle: )

Your mistakes will help others, so use other peoples mistakes to help you!!

Well I have no doubt I can file the AOS. I've actually had to do it for an ex spouse (we used the same lawyer) however he was here on a work visa so the I-130 was something that was needed.

My biggest concern is just making sure that the only things i REALLY should be filing for after this 129f/K1 visa is done are the the I485, EAD, Advance Parole and that the I-130 DOES NOT have to be filed when this is sent in.

I would hate to not send it if it's needed but I didn't think it was.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Here's what you need to tell that lawyer: "YOU'RE FIRED YOU THIEF"

Then report him to the bar for charging you for services (I-130) that he did not/would not do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
So before I knew about this fantastic site I had enlisted the services of a lawyer for this immigration process. I have paid the lawyer for the 129f that is already done...here's the questions. When I look at the invoice they sent me it has the costs for the 129f and the AOS. I've only paid them for the 129f because at this point that's all I've filed. But here's the thing they have on the invoice that I would be filing a I130 along with the I485 is this correct? I'm asking because #1 they obviously want to charge me for processing the I130, which is a fee of $355 + their fees of $500, then they say the I485 AOS is $1010( which I know is right) + their fees of 2000 . #2 everything I read on this websites says the AOS is $1010 which is what have listed for the cost but does the I130 really get filed after you've done the K1 process? I've pretty much already decided I'm not going to have them do the AOS because I know with the help of this site I'm plenty capable of doing it on my own but I'm curious as to if the I130 needs to be filed or if they were just screwing me out of more money :) Thanks for the help!

Jaymie

This lawyer is...

1. A liar OR

2. Stupid OR

3. Quite possibly all of the above

Which do you prefer in a person you pay a couple grand to?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Here's what you need to tell that lawyer: "YOU'RE FIRED YOU THIEF"

Then report him to the bar for charging you for services (I-130) that he did not/would not do.

Good advice, except make sure she is a THIEF, she could just be STUPID, choose your adjective carefully. I am against minimum wage because it is too much pay for someone like this, they have no business charging this kind of money for their secretary to do a few minutes work.

Any proposed government regulations on salaries should be tried on attorneys first.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I don't know if they're trying to charge you for work they would actually not do (file an I-130).

On the other hand, if (for example) they're confusing your case with another client, that's more troublesome to me - or are they just not even familiar with your case?; even worse in my opinion. A good attorney would not make either mistake.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I guess as a source of pleasure to you, before notifying them you no longer need their services, tell them their proposal to file the I-130 is mistaken and ask them to re-check the laws & regulations. Yes, you can do the AOS by yourselves but the $2,000 figure is about the going rate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your lawyer is either a thief or incompetent. Both are good reasons to get rid of his services. You DO NOT need to file an I-130 if you are coming in on a K-1 visa and getting married within the 90 day time period. Whether or not you decide to use a lawyer or do it on your own, don't use this lawyer.

After the I-129f gets approved, the process moves to your fiancee's country. She will incur expenses in obtaining an immigration medical, pay any fees necessary to get the requested police certificates and other documents, then she will also pay a $131 Visa fee at the interview.

When she arrives, you will purchase a marriage license, and then you will get married. Your costs for that will be variable :) . When you are married you will file the I-485 (AOS) for a fee of $1010 (including the biometrics=fingerprints). Included in that same fee is the application for Employment Authorization (I-765) and Advance Parole travel document (I-131). You will also need to provide an affidavit of support (I-864).

The costs add up but these are the main immigration related costs. Advice is free here on VJ. You can fire this lawyer and go it alone, or if you wish to use a lawyer hire another one who is more honest and more knowledgeable.

Good luck to you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jaymie

This lawyer is...

1. A liar OR

2. Stupid OR

3. Quite possibly all of the above

Which do you prefer in a person you pay a couple grand to?

:pop:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

shot that lawyer..... she ask too much all all the she need to do is send your requirements for aos.basically you will do all the paper works.ask evrybody about anything here, eveyone will help you free of charge.if you get confuse just ask it again and again .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First of all, you can fire a lawyer at any time.

Second of all, you will owe him for any unpaid services already performed

Thirdly, I would personally make sure that what they sent you wasn't sent by mistake by a paralegal in the office. He is supposed to check these things because he is accountable for the mistakes that they make

next, if the form you mentioned hasn't been filed yet then the mistake hasn't really been made yet, unless you have already paid for the filing of the form. If you have then the proper place to air this dispute is with your lawyers office

I will go out on a very small and stable bridge and suggest that someone in the office made a mistake and will correct you

Lastly, although yes you could do it alone. A lot of people do, what one of my law school proffessors told me was this is something that if done right is very simple, if not it can be a nightmare. You don't always pay a lawyer because what he does you could do, ie file a paper. You pay him so that if something goes wrong in the AOS you have someone who knows the laws, who is accountable for what he does, to fight for you. If you think that service is worth it, then you pay. If not then you don't. There is no right answer to that, everyone has to make that choice on thier own. That being said, my lawyer charged less for the the whole process and has a lof of experience handling these issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.