_Simpson_

Limbaugh bids to buy the St. Louis Rams

37 posts in this topic

The lowly Rams have someone who loves them. The conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday he was teaming with the St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts in a bid to buy the Rams, owners of the N.F.L.’s longest losing streak at 14 and just 5-31 since 2007.

In a statement, Limbaugh declined to discuss details, citing a confidentiality agreement with Goldman Sachs, the investment firm hired by the family of the former Rams owner Georgia Frontiere to review assets of her estate, including the team.

“Dave Checketts and I have made a bid to buy the Rams and we are continuing the process,” Limbaugh said.

Forbes magazine has estimated the Rams franchise has a value of $929 million.

Frontiere’s children, Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, inherited 60 percent of the Rams when their mother died in January 2008. The billionaire Stan Kroenke owns the remaining 40 percent. It was not clear if the Limbaugh/Checketts bid was for 100 percent of the Rams or just the share owned by Rosenbloom and Rodriguez.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/sports/football/07nfl.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be interesting to see if this works out, can Limbaugh help turn around a craptacular team. I wonder how much power he will have in these matters given the bid goes thru

Edited by _Simpson_

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go Rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

checketts and him ..will keep the rams in st louis..

.rams dittohead

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Rush is a local MO boy. Yo!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

yeap..from Cape..been there and got drunk many times...

he is for keeping the rams in st louis

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Could we keep the Rams name, Almaty; but get a whole new team? Please. They freakin' suck!!!!!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well how good will they be if that happens? Always running to the far right....

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

the rams: just one more reason why kc is better than st louis.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
the rams: just one more reason why kc is better than st louis.

Trying to think of another one besides that :unsure:

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Update - Not looking good for Rush

BOSTON -- Rush Limbaugh's bid to buy the St. Louis Rams ran into opposition within the NFL on Tuesday. Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay vowed to vote against him, and Commissioner Roger Goodell said the conservative commentator's "divisive" comments wouldn't be tolerated from any NFL insider.

"I, myself, couldn't even consider voting for him," Irsay said at the NFL Fall League Meeting. "When there are comments that have been made that are inappropriate, incendiary and insensitive ... our words do damage, and it's something that we don't need."

Limbaugh has long been a hero of conservatives and a villain to the left, thriving on his place in the political spectrum while establishing himself as one of the most successful broadcasters in history. In 2003, Limbaugh was forced to resign from ESPN's Sunday night football broadcast after saying of Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

Goodell repeatedly distanced the league from Limbaugh's statements Tuesday, calling them "polarizing comments that we don't think reflect accurately on the NFL or our players."

"I have said many times before that we are all held to a higher standard here," the commissioner said. "I think divisive comments are not what the NFL is all about. I would not want to see those kind of comments from people who are in a responsible position within the NFL. No. Absolutely not."

According to transcripts posted on his Web site, in 2007 Limbaugh also said: "The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it." That comment, and others, resurfaced this month after Limbaugh revealed he is teaming with St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts to bid on the Rams.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Limbaugh said he was forced to respond because "the totally made-up and fabricated quotes attributed to me in recent media reports are outrageous and slanderous." He also noted that he would be a minority owner in the prospective group, adding he is from Missouri and was saddened when the Cardinals left for Arizona.

"I am happy to be involved in an effort to keep the Rams in St. Louis," Limbaugh wrote. "I love the National Football League. I eagerly discuss it and promote it, and I greatly admire the men who play in the league. They are the best at what they do. It is regrettable that something I have dreamed about for years has taken this course. But the fight is worth it to me. I love the National Football League."

The Rams updated the league on their potential sale on Tuesday, but specific bidders weren't discussed, Goodell said.

"They're not certain they are even sellers," said New York Giants co-owner Steve Tisch, who added that he expected a decision by the end of the season. "We can't speculate on potential owners because they have not brought up any names to put before ownership. It's out there, but without confirmation from the Rams or the Rosenbloom family, frankly, we don't know who the potential buyers are."

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft referred questions about Limbaugh to the commissioner. Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said anyone who meets the "normal criteria" is a candidate to own a team.

"But our vetting process is very thorough," he said.

Prominent blacks, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, already are lining up against Limbaugh. NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith, who's also black, urged players to speak out against Limbaugh's bid, and several already have said they wouldn't play for his team.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank echoed Goodell's comments and noted that the league and the union had a similar stance. Blank also said he wouldn't expect Limbaugh, if the deal went through, to tone down his lucrative radio show to avoid running afoul of the league.

"I find that highly unlikely," Blank said.

Prospective owners must be approved by 24 of the league's 32 teams. Irsay is the first owner who has unequivocally stated that he would reject Limbaugh because he made a habit of "demonizing individuals."

"I met Rush only once. He seemed like a nice guy to me and all those kind of things," Irsay said. "It's bigger than the NFL. As a nation, and as a world, we've got to watch our words and our thoughts. They can do damage."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: Timeline

Honestly, I don't get this hype over Rush's bid. Lord knows I have no respect for the man but the NFL is merely a business franchise that the man wants to invest in. Is the NFL suggesting that there would some reputational risk? If that's the case, they ought to take a good, hard look at some of their prominent employees.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Honestly, I don't get this hype over Rush's bid. Lord knows I have no respect for the man but the NFL is merely a business franchise that the man wants to invest in. Is the NFL suggesting that there would some reputational risk? If that's the case, they ought to take a good, hard look at some of their prominent employees.

Michael Vick

Donte Stallworth

Ray Carruth

Ray Lewis

Leonard Little

Jamal Lewis

Mark Chumura

Viking's boat cruise

Cowboy's party house

Edited by Kevin and Tuyen

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Rush was right about McNabb. It had nothing to do with racism, it had to to do with the exact opposite. I'm sure Snerdley would agree.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-18

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-23

NVC Received : 2009-10-27

NVC Left : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-27

Interview Date : 2009-12-16

Interview Result : APPROVED

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 66 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 120 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.