yoshi89

Chances of getting waiver after divorce

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a question....I know the process of filing for a waiver to remove conditions in the event of divorce. I know what is needed to prove a bonafide marriage. I am going through a divorce and want to work it out with my husband (who is the immigrant). He has filed for divorce and wants to go through with it. We have had a rough time this first year. But i think we can work on things. So I am hoping we can reconcile. I do not want him to go back to his country. He wants to stay here as well.

Does anyone know .....In most cases of divorce, things just did not work out. But it was true and bonifide. Are most waivers approved. Who else has gone through this proccess and been approved on here? Any feedback will be helpful.

Taye

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

It's up to him to apply, and then to offer proof that there was a bona fide marriage that continued to be "real" even after he got his GC. But maybe it fell apart just after getting the GC? Then there would be reason to suspect his intentions. It's up to him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I have a question....I know the process of filing for a waiver to remove conditions in the event of divorce. I know what is needed to prove a bonafide marriage. I am going through a divorce and want to work it out with my husband (who is the immigrant). He has filed for divorce and wants to go through with it. We have had a rough time this first year. But i think we can work on things. So I am hoping we can reconcile. I do not want him to go back to his country. He wants to stay here as well.

Does anyone know .....In most cases of divorce, things just did not work out. But it was true and bonifide. Are most waivers approved. Who else has gone through this proccess and been approved on here? Any feedback will be helpful.

Filing for a waiver based on divorce is not a lottery or statistical ####### shoot. It makes absolutely no difference what percentage are approved or denied, because those percentages have nothing to do with any individual case. People who provide the required evidence are approved. People who do not are denied.

The instructions for the I-751 give examples of the sort of evidence that they want to see. Birth certificates (if you have children together), lease or mortgage documents showing joint tenancy or ownership, financial records showing joint assets and debts, sworn affidavits from people who knew both you and your spouse while you were married, and any other evidence you think helps demonstrate you did not enter the marriage to evade immigration laws. Include the evidence with the I-751 (mark box "d" in part 2 to request the waiver), along with a copy of the divorce decree, and a copy of the conditional green card. If USCIS is satisfied that the evidence is enough, the petition will be granted, and a permanent green card will be issued.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline
Hi everyone,

You situation is clear and not complicated. Support your husband and encourage him to reconcile, maybe try counseling. If you'll get divorced and he files for a waiver, you can provide an affidavit for good faith marriage. Waivers are rarely denied unless there is solid evidence of fraud or other wrong doing. I see no reason to worry!

Timeline
Hi everyone,

You situation is clear and not complicated. Support your husband and encourage him to reconcile, maybe try counseling. If you'll get divorced and he files for a waiver, you can provide an affidavit for good faith marriage. Waivers are rarely denied unless there is solid evidence of fraud or other wrong doing. I see no reason to worry!

Thanks everyone I feel better, I do believe that we have enough evidence to send in.

Taye

quit beating yourself up over his poor judgment and decisions.

you tried and did the right thing and now the ball is in his court.

he made his bed, let him lie in it.

seriously, you're the one that made most of the sacrifice.

Timeline
quit beating yourself up over his poor judgment and decisions.

you tried and did the right thing and now the ball is in his court.

he made his bed, let him lie in it.

seriously, you're the one that made most of the sacrifice.

I know it just really hursts that he gave up so quick. I am hoping that we can work it out. But already had his lawyer file and the divorce is in process. He does not trust anything I do or say. It's like trying to win a losing battle. I had no idea how hard it was going to be when he came here. That created alot of stress our first year. I was really hard on him, but have aplogized may times for that. I am having a very hard time digesting that fact that we are no longer going to be married.

Taye

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=3308345:date=Sep 14 2009, 10:02 AM:name=3600rs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3600rs @ Sep 14 2009, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3308345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3307090:date=Sep 13 2009, 05:44 PM:name=yoshi89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yoshi89 @ Sep 13 2009, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3307090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi everyone,

Does anyone know .....In most cases of divorce, things just did not work out. But it was true and bonifide. Are most waivers approved. Who else has gone through this proccess and been approved on here? Any feedback will be helpful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks everyone I feel better, I do believe that we have enough evidence to send in.

That is so sad my friend about "he made his bed, let him lie in it" ..somebody says to "love" somebody means to put his needs above yours, and that way it shout be! as long as the marriage was initial bona fide, to help his situations is a great prove of generosity!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This "zombie thread" is 1.5 years old.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

This "zombie thread" is 1.5 years old.

What happened in the end?

12/07/2009 - I-130 and supporting documents sent to USCIS office in Rome

12/16/2009 - USCIS office received the form

02/16/2010 - NOA1

02/22/2010 - I-130 Approved

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/19/2010 - Medical exam in Napoli

07/20/2010 - Interview

• 7 years later...

is funny when i see people replied without living in that roof ,my dad and mom told me never be in between a couple no matter who is it, looking all you listen just 1 side of the history, nobody heard mine  ,is ok maybe nobody will see this respond  after 10 years  here in USA . now read carefully ignorants . is gonna be short .IM US CITIZEN ,   before i came  i got my job  for 8 years ,my family we were happy 

.for reasons of life  i broke up with my ex girlfriend  a friday . told god i dont wanna  deal this anymore too much drama .look the sky  and i said Lord let me meet sobody else .i never though in a million year is gonna happen but did.wait for her 1 year and half. i got fired bcause people was jealouse  of me thinking i have money , i alway survive i dont care if i need to eat grass  thats my strengh. i left my ties ,my family, everything  ,i cry in silence  i was sociable  here i learn to b alone thats another strengh  i learn to be humilliate ,call wet back,illegal, all you can imagine ,glad i took taewondo in high school that bring me some discipline till now. anyway .i dont care what everybody said ,taye and me we never did nothing wrong was new for us ,i  try everything for 1.5 years nobody know sh.....t i did and always she try to intimidate me with the cops and im sorry im not a pet after a year and half my love change  i star feeling cold ,no love here,no family  she took me to a bar.that was Bobbies borthday  i got a beer  i was the only hispanic everybody was caucasian, she was looking at me and a ramdon guy walk to me took my beer and dump it in the garbage  at the same time push me out of the bar  so i stay out  bobbie came out after 30 minuts shake hands i said is all good brother happy birthday , in that point i got my own car cost me $1800  honda accord 94,i left the bar she didnt sayd anything but she saw the dude trowing my bottle  i left listen my salsa music  stop in a light and got bit up with a baseball bat  i know is destiny i never blame on anybody ,drove home she look at my and she start laughing  for 30 minuts  next day she left to miami  for 2 weeks   that was my call.after she said i deserved for bother some one else girlfriend even when is not true so im  done  not cares wherever humilliation ,  did a police report, continued with my life  i start asking people i said i left everything for her is not working we 2 different people we just need to go  to  the highway  different ways so i learn that i need to proof  that i was married in good faith , she did everything right and me too we just 2 different people is sad  but i love my family too and she also didnt care for my mom either thats in another context o book .......see when u know all the facts together you will understand where i comming from  but lets do this ...

ask yourself where she at  ,,where im at  i my dont own nothing  but im happy ,buy one house and sold it, buy too cars work in different jobs  married and have a baby.by the way she told me she dont wanna have kids so sorry i want a family and i did  now you understand when im coming form ahh  DONT POINT FINGERS IF YOU PEOPLE DONT KNOW  God bless

Edited by jairoshott

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2009 is locked to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.