FutureAmerican

Handgun suggestions

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hand guns for hospital security staff? In what neck of the woods are you in? We have some pretty major hospital complexes in our neck of the woods, all have closed circuit TV, a sweet young thing that walks around the parking lot issuing parking tickets to mostly hospital employees that park in the patient visitors lot, but no guns.

Only time you see security is after hours, more like a traffic or information service telling people where to find something. But certainly no guns.

Guess if you have to carry one and use it, a 0.22 would be more than enough, certainly would be far less of a mess for the doctors to clean up. People are not like those idiots you see in the movies, just nick a person with a bullet, they panic and think they are going to die.

Still wonder why they have all those armed guards at USCIS field offices, maybe they think someone is going to steal a rusted out folding chair or a portrait of GWB.

If a convict or suspected criminal comes in for treatment, see plenty of armed cops surrounding him, usually a 16 year old kid that drank a beer.

I'm going to be working at a major hospital in the Denver Metro area - my security company runs pretty much all the hospitals in Colorado, and a bunch in Cali, Oregon, Wyoming, Wisconsin and Arizona.

Our "weapons" vary between sites depending on what the clients want - some are unarmed apart from handcuffs (such as my current facility in Western Colorado), but even then I wind up in a physical confrontation about once a week (I work evenings and nights when we get the most drunks/drug addicts in the ER). Others are armed, tasers, baton, pepper spray etc.

Interesting that security seems very different for your folk - in our case we always have officers placed at the ER, outside patrol, interior patrol etc, and always try to remain a "visible presence" anytime of day or night. I used to work Mall Security, and I did more in my first week at the hospital than I did in 4 months of Mall work - we try to be fairly selective in terms of who we hire, as we get the full range of applicants from the type who just want to sit at a desk watching a monitor all night, to the cop-wannabes, and neither are welcome in our line of work. Most of our problems arise from drunks who are dropped off by local law enforcement prior to being taken to detox, pysch patients, irate family members, and drug-seekers who are willing to attack staff if they don't get prescription drugs. The vast majority of the time the situations can be resolved through verbal de-escalation, but unfortunately there's some that leave us no option but to use an appropriate level of force - I've been spat on, bitten, kicked, and almost got sprayed with HIV-positive blood by one patient that thought it would be cute to pull his IV out and try and aim his fluids at us - fun time! :thumbs:

Do they make you wear a uniform? Always thought that was kind of dumb in our military, makes you stick out like a sore thumb. Why not wear a uniform with a big red bullseye in the middle or carry a big flag that says, I am a target? Carried this to such an extreme, would get your a$ chewed off if just one button wasn't buttoned.

Carrying a concealed weapon would be fine, but that uniform has got to go. Just my stupid opinion.

Would be far more effective if dressed like a nurse carrying a hypodermic needle loaded with a strong tranquilizer. Working with my newest German Shepherd dog, if he suspects danger, barks. Tell him to shut up, you are giving away our position.

Only intelligent military leader we had was George Washington using gorilla tactics rather than standing in a neat line and stopping British bullets.

apemarch-mod1.jpg

:rofl:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very happy with my HK USP 40. I'd go with a 40 over a 9.

HK-USP40.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I'm very happy with my HK USP 40. I'd go with a 40 over a 9.

HK-USP40.jpg

total agreement..and brother rich is indeed right thinking

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
never go to a gunfight with anything that doesn't start with a 4.

i suggest a .40 cal or .45

He's not going to a gun fight. He's being paid to provide security and protect....has to consider the safety of innocent bystanders.

which is why both of those are good choices to provide security and protect. surely you're aware of the ballistic characteristics of a .45........

You think a .45 has better range and accuracy than a 9mm?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

He's not going to a gun fight. He's being paid to provide security and protect....has to consider the safety of innocent bystanders.

which is why both of those are good choices to provide security and protect. surely you're aware of the ballistic characteristics of a .45........

more stopping power, steven. :rolleyes:

it's also a slower round.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

So range and accuracy, in your opinion, are less important than firepower?

Timeline

from what i understood of his post earlier, he's not shooting coins out of mid air nor trying to nail something across the parking lot.

the .45 is fairly accurate, btw.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

from what i understood of his post earlier, he's not shooting coins out of mid air nor trying to nail something across the parking lot.

Well, there are varying opinions on which is a better handgun for those who work in security, but the pros of having 9mm vs. a larger caliber are compelling.

I shoot coins out of the air with my .45 all the time. I can even make change. I shoot a quarter and 2 dimes and a nickel fall to the ground.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

hospital security is not high risk unless in a really nasty hospital, so should carry K frame S&W 38 revolvers. clients feel more comfortable with barney fife than with GI JOE action adventure hero.

if that's not enough, you can try somethign a friend of mine made up a few years ago. gotta love the birdman...

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Timeline

I shoot coins out of the air with my .45 all the time. I can even make change. I shoot a quarter and 2 dimes and a nickel fall to the ground.

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I like my GLOCK 33. Light weight and compact, but the .357 SIG ammunition has some serious velocity behind it.

http://www.glock.com/english/glock33.htm

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

When I was a police officer (many years ago) I started off with a Ruger GP100 .357, and then switched to the (then new) Ruger P89 pistol chambered in 9mm

Currently I have an S&W Sigma in 9mm (essentially a Glock knock-off) and find it very comfortable. I hear the new Ruger P95 (with a polymer frame) is available in several popular calibers.

My considerations for a duty weapon are based on effective stopping power, as well as carry comfort managed with my ability to accurately control the firearm.

Although you'll hope for the best (that you'll never have to use it) it's better to plan for the worst.

I like the control and accuracy I get with a 9mm, and I like the comfort and weight of a polymer frame. But I'm not you.

YOU need to go to a gun shop that has a range and rentals of the different type of weapons you're considering. The internet is not the place to shop for something that might be the difference between life and death.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png