DaveHorton

File 129F while waiting for a divorce

13 posts in this topic

Anyone got any experience of filing an I-129F in anticipation of getting a divorce finalized?

I will get my uncontested and amicable divorce finalized in California, in December. If there anything that would prevent me from submitting my I-129F now, knowing it takes at least 6 months to get to interview time?

02/20/09 Met Juliet in Nirvana (Pasay)

03/01/09 Long weekend in Batangas

03/09/09 Dave returns to the USA

06/22/09 Dave returns to Manila

06/30/09 Juliet learned to SCUBA Dive in Sabang

07/11/09 Visit Laguna with Juliet and her son Justin

08/19/09 Long weekend in Baguio

09/09/09 Fly to Bohol

09/24/09 Family trip to Sabang

10/18/09 Dave returns to the USA

04/01/10 Dave moves to UK

11/19/10 Juliet and Justin move to UK

06/16/14 Juliet and Justin become British Citizens

11/16/16 NOA1

01/17/17 NOA2

01/19/17 Packet 3 Rcvd

03/16/17 Interview (placed on hold pending additional info)

03/27/17 Submitted requested info

04/03/17 Received Visas

06/17/17 Sold House and cars

06/19/17 Arrived in Phoenix AZ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Anyone got any experience of filing an I-129F in anticipation of getting a divorce finalized?

I will get my uncontested and amicable divorce finalized in California, in December. If there anything that would prevent me from submitting my I-129F now, knowing it takes at least 6 months to get to interview time?

yes there is, u can not file for k1 unless u are both legally able to marry at the time of submission of I-129

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

yes there is, u can not file for k1 unless u are both legally able to marry at the time of submission of I-129

sara

:thumbs: Yep!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

sara is exactly right... here's the State Department Foreign Affairs Manual citation on the subject:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87391.pdf

9 FAM 41.81 N6.6 Petitioner and Beneficiary Must be Legally Free to Marry

(CT:VISA-756; 07-27-2005)

b. A K-1 petition filed when the petitioner and/or the applicant was still legally married shall not serve as the basis for visa issuance, even though that marriage was terminated and applicant/petitioner became free to marry within 90 days of arrival in the United States. If a consular officer finds that the petitioner and/or applicant is/was not legally free to marry, post mush return the K-1 petition to the national visa center (NVC) under cover of memorandum detailing the specific, objective facts giving rise to the officer's determination.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I remember having to send my divorce decree with the packet. What I did was prepare everything else (including making copies of everything), and the day I got the decree, I added a copy of it and sent it out.

Best of luck!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When you first file the K-1 Petition you state that you are free to marry at the time of the filing. If previously married, you would include a copy of your divorce decree along with the initial filing. Since you don't have this yet, you have to wait.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As stated... you're not legally able to marry now. You need your divorce decree to be sent with the I-129F

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

YES. You MUST be legally able to marry when you file the petition. You will be required to send a copy of the finalized and entered divorce decree with the petition. A petition filed now will be denied and you will lose $455 for trying

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 8 years later...

I was going through my paper work my anxiety kicked in. I noticed on her intent to marry she signed it but the date was typed instead of wrote by her name. Mine on the other hand was wrote where i signed but not typed. Is there a reason to worry? Also i put the date my divorce was signed off by jidge not ended is that ok? I did include divkrce decree. I was there when the judge signed but was told it would be done. It was all finalized before then. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Check with the state you are in , some require a waiting period after the divorce is final before you are free to marry.  It is rare they catch this but it has happened once or twice over the decades. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, bcoakley06 said:

I was going through my paper work my anxiety kicked in. I noticed on her intent to marry she signed it but the date was typed instead of wrote by her name. Mine on the other hand was wrote where i signed but not typed. Is there a reason to worry? Also i put the date my divorce was signed off by jidge not ended is that ok? I did include divkrce decree. I was there when the judge signed but was told it would be done. It was all finalized before then. Thanks.

Start a new post for your questions.

21 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Check with the state you are in , some require a waiting period after the divorce is final before you are free to marry.  It is rare they catch this but it has happened once or twice over the decades. 

Indiana dont have. A waiting period. We had to wait so long dor judge to sign. It took us a while to work things out to keep from getting lawyers all was done outside of court just had to file wait and judge sign. We did mediation 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.