little red

Marrying Brazilian whom I believe has 10 yr ban

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

If anyone has advice and has been in similar situation as us please help! I'm very sorry if I'm posting in wrong place

I am new to this. I received the website from a friend of mine who married a Turkish man. She said this site helped her tremendously so I hope it will do the same for me. I am still researching to figure out all the forms and visas and such. I am an American women and will marry my Brazilian fiance here in Brazil. We are still in the beginning stages collecting various documents. My divorce decree, letter of being single, etc. He was in the US previously entering illegally and living for 6 years. He was issued a drivers license. He also was arrested in 2008 for driving with an expired drivers license. He left on his own he was not deported. He returned to Brazil because of his elderly mother and has been here for almost 1 year. In January 2009 he tried to get a visa to return to the US and was denied. He Say's he was told he was denied because the interviewer didn't believe his application." No one told him he was banned for 10 years.

He thinks the reason he was denied is not because they know he was there illegally but because he lied and said he never applied for a visa before. Which he did in 1999 and was also denied then, he believes because he had no binding ties in Brazil. Presumably he was probably at risk of trying to stay in the US. I am wondering what we should do? Is there a way to find out if he was banned for 10 years without causing ourselves more pain? I'm worried he does have a 10 year ban and that is why he was denied. But we have a friend who also was in the US living with his whole family illegally for 7 years they all left and came back to Brazil on their own not deported. The children were in school,had drivers license etc and they were recently given tourist visas. Hope this makes sense because I'm totally confused myself. Any help will be appreciated.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has advice and has been in similar situation as us please help! I'm very sorry if I'm posting in wrong place

I am new to this. I received the website from a friend of mine who married a Turkish man. She said this site helped her tremendously so I hope it will do the same for me. I am still researching to figure out all the forms and visas and such. I am an American women and will marry my Brazilian fiance here in Brazil. We are still in the beginning stages collecting various documents. My divorce decree, letter of being single, etc. He was in the US previously entering illegally and living for 6 years. He was issued a drivers license. He also was arrested in 2008 for driving with an expired drivers license. He left on his own he was not deported. He returned to Brazil because of his elderly mother and has been here for almost 1 year. In January 2009 he tried to get a visa to return to the US and was denied. He Say's he was told he was denied because the interviewer didn't believe his application." No one told him he was banned for 10 years.

He thinks the reason he was denied is not because they know he was there illegally but because he lied and said he never applied for a visa before. Which he did in 1999 and was also denied then, he believes because he had no binding ties in Brazil. Presumably he was probably at risk of trying to stay in the US. I am wondering what we should do? Is there a way to find out if he was banned for 10 years without causing ourselves more pain? I'm worried he does have a 10 year ban and that is why he was denied. But we have a friend who also was in the US living with his whole family illegally for 7 years they all left and came back to Brazil on their own not deported. The children were in school,had drivers license etc and they were recently given tourist visas. Hope this makes sense because I'm totally confused myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Overstaying 360 days or more is an automatic 10 year ban. Deported or not. He will need an I-212 Waiver to return.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

because he lied and said he never applied for a visa before. Which he did in 1999 and was also denied then

Yup - sounds like he was caught misrepresenting himself, and was lucky to only incur a 10 year ban, not lifetime.

The EWI and 1+ year overstay doesn't help either.

Your waiver will probably not be granted due to the misrepresentation, from what I have read on similar cases. They take "lying" very seriously.

Your other friend must of gotten really lucky, or misrepresented themselves when they applied for the visas and were not caught.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It sounds like you have a VERY rough road ahead of you. A waiver will be necessary and proving that he is needed by the USC will be difficult. "i miss him" isnt goign to be enough.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Maybe you could just stay in brazil with him and live there? Is that an option for you guys?

edit:sorry for the huge post....reply wasnt responding and then posted my response 3 times

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Not a good idea to "lie to USCIS computers" these days. Computers don't forget! :bonk:

If you marry him I hope you are considering living abroad!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Devil's advocate here. Why would you marry someone that obviously has no problem breaking the law and no problem lying about everything? Not to mention, someone who has every reason to use a USC to get back to America??? :huh:

I second that !!! :whistle:

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline
Devil's advocate here. Why would you marry someone that obviously has no problem breaking the law and no problem lying about everything? Not to mention, someone who has every reason to use a USC to get back to America??? :huh:

The OP did not ask our opinions on her life decisions, #######. Reported.

I suggest you know that you will face a very likely denial; and indeed, like bobby said, the waiver might also be denied on grounds of misrepresentation. Do consult an immigration attorney AND consider residing in Brazul.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved from K-3 forum to Waivers forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Overstaying 360 days or more is an automatic 10 year ban. Deported or not. He will need an I-212 Waiver to return.

The I-212 is for a deportation, the I-601 is for the overstay

It sounds like there may be more to your fiance's case than meets the eye (overstay, misrepresentation, etc). I would suggest a meeting with a qualified immigration attorney to specializes in cases involving bans to help you weight your options.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
because he lied and said he never applied for a visa before. Which he did in 1999 and was also denied then

Yup - sounds like he was caught misrepresenting himself, and was lucky to only incur a 10 year ban, not lifetime.

The EWI and 1+ year overstay doesn't help either.

Your waiver will probably not be granted due to the misrepresentation, from what I have read on similar cases. They take "lying" very seriously.

Your other friend must of gotten really lucky, or misrepresented themselves when they applied for the visas and were not caught.

You will have to file an I-601 waiver due to the misrepresentation and the unlawful presence in the United States. Your fiance likely incurred a ten year ban because he entered/stayed in the United States unlawfully for over one year. Because he was not deported, I don't think the I-212 is applicable. In addition, this is not a case of an "overstay," because he was never admitted lawfully into the U.S. Therefore, there is no visa to "overstay." Regardless, the I-601 waiver is very complex and takes a lot of time to put together--it is worth consulting a good immigration lawyer with a lot of experience handling waivers.

Also, it is unwise to suggest that the OP's waiver will not be granted, as we don't have any other information about mitigating/aggravating factors that could support/detract from the waiver. In addition, a lot of this depends on where the waiver ends up--keep in mind that just because you file it in Brazil does not mean that it will be adjudicated in Brazil. If Brazil has a lot of petitions, it could be sent elsewhere.

To the OP-good luck with your process.

AOS

• I-130 NOA1: 6/20/2008
  • I-485 Filed: 10/18/2008
  • I-130 Approved: 2/20/2009
  • Interview: 3/18/2008
  • I-601 Submitted: 3/18/2009
  • I-485 Approved: 4/22/2009
  • GC Received: 6/23/2009

IR2 (Stepson)

• I-130 NOA1: 7/23/2009
  • I-130 Approved: 10/1/2009
  • NVC Case Received: 10/14/2009
  • DS 3032, AOS Fee Bill Generated: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 sent via email, AOS Fee Bill Paid: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 accepted: 10/28/2009
  • IV Fee Bill Generated/Paid: 11/2/2009
  • DS 230/AOS mailed: 11/7/2007
  • DS 230, AOS Received: 11/9/2009
  • AOS/DS 230 Mailed: 11/6/2009
  • Documents Received: 11/16/2009
  • RFE for 864-A: 11/24/2009
  • Received Checklist Reponse via email: 11/28/2009
  • Checklist Letter Received by NVC: 12/4/2009
  • Sign in failed: 12/14/2009
  • Case Complete: 12/15/2009
  • Appointment Letter Received: 12/29/2009
  • Interview: 2/10/2010, Approved!

At his visa interview, your fiance will be given at least two bans - the 10 year ban under INA(212)(a)(9)(B)(ii) for unlawful presence in the US over a year, and the lifetime ban under INA(212)(a)(6)©(i) for misrepresentation when applying for the visa (hiding unlawful presence and prior visa applications is a tough thing to overcome).

Both of these bans can be waived with the I-601 waiver. I-212 is only filed if there was a deportation, which it appears there wasn't. However, the waiver is discretionary and in general, when the immigration offense is big, the standard for proving extreme and unusual hardship to the US citizen is extremely high. Misrep to a consular officer is HUGE, so there will need to be a LOT of hardship to prove in the waiver packet.

For more info on foreign-filed waivers of inadmissibility, you can also see

http://immigrate2us.net

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Please don't get pregnant!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I agree with this 100%, to be honest and sorry but I do not want this type of guys in US, that is one of the reasons I leaved my country where corruption and lying at all levels is something "normal".

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The OP did not ask our opinions on her life decisions, #######. Reported.

I suggest you know that you will face a very likely denial; and indeed, like bobby said, the waiver might also be denied on grounds of misrepresentation. Do consult an immigration attorney AND consider residing in Brazul.

Wow! Reported for THAT comment. I've seen ALOT worse on here. Plus I think the OP 'does' want peoples opinions on her decisions, otherwise they wouldn't have posted. Perhaps this persons comments made the OP think twice about marrying someone who is dishonest and untrustworthy, and she's chosen to better herself and is looking into being with someone of a higher moral character. Just a though! :whistle:

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.