scandal

Censorship

112 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

dncfascists.jpg

I find the above image offensive.

It's an eyesore, and causes a visceral reaction in me.

It associated two themes that are passions in my life; two themes which are diametrically opposed.

The first theme is Fascism and Nazism, and the evil doctrines of rabid hatred which led to the Holocaust, World War II, the deaths of tens of millions, gas chambers and concentration camps. This is a theme of humankind at its most odious.

The second theme is the American Democratic party. A party founded by "Old Hickory" Andrew Jackson. A party long identified with segregation and White Supremacy and racism throughout the 19th century and until the early 20th century. But also a party of Labor, of immigrants, of those seeking the American dream. In the 1930s it became once and for all the party of the downtrodden in America - a party of progressive ideas and policies to help the working man (and woman). Over the decades it has been the party of civil rights, suffrage, and inclusiveness to people of diverse backgrounds, skin colors, sexual orientations. I am a Democrat. A proud one. I don't agree with every policy ever uttered by a Democratic politician, but by and large I agree with the philosophy of the party.

I find the association of the themes of Nazism and fascism on the one hand, and the Democratic party on the other, highly offensive and in very poor taste.

Those who would disagree with the Democratic party, its platform and policies, and with individual Democrats, can hopefully do so in a way that does not resort to such tactics. Many, many Democrats died on the shores of Normandy and in the Ardennes and in Sicily combating fascism and Nazism. I feel that this image desecrates their memory and the honor of their service. I wish others would see this as I do, but I recognize that not everyone feels as I do. And I understand that I live in a society with those that are different (vastly different!!!) than I am.

The above image is currently contained within the signature of a VJ member.

I use this opportunity not to attack that member for his choice of signature.

Rather, I use this opportunity to speak my mind of what I think of the censorship on VisaJourney in recent weeks.

Yes, censorship. In the form of moderators who yank posts, close threads, suspend members, and otherwise act to stifle speech.

This is particularly visible in the current era of the pinned OT thread "Letter to the Community regarding Off Topic Forum behavior spilling over into Immmigration and Regional Forums ".

I recognize VJ is not an entirely public commons. It is owned and maintained by a private party who requires members to abide by the Terms of Service (ToS) of the site.

Part of that TOS includes members voluntarily surrendering some of their constitutionally protected rights, particularly speech, when using this web site.

Hence, I cannot argue that the moderation on this site is "unfair". It is fair and appropriate, since the site's owner has decided that it is. I can also understand a need to have different standards in the "Upper forms" and OT threads. My criticism here applies to both, but primarily to the still ongoing censorship in OT.

To the extent that I, as a member, can speak my mind on this site - here is what I have to say.

Censorship is a bad idea. Time and again societies that burn books and stifle speech wind up poorer in the end.

Even censorship of outrageous and hideous things, like the image at the top of this post, are not the way we do things in America.

In my view, VJ members should be permitted to display such images, and post messages that are like in kind.

I trust in frank discourse and the commons of ideas to sort out the ensuing fracas better than I do jackboots and the censor's pen (or VJ moderation tools) to keep me "safe". In essence, I would rather see Danno's signature than another of Katherine's "this thread is locked for TOS violations" messages. The latter offends me more than the former.

In America we cherish our First Amendment rights to speech.

We exercise these rights and are justly proud of them.

VisaJourney is a site devoted to people from all the countries of the world who are making their way to a new life in America.

Many of those countries do not have the same respect for rights that America does.

To my mind, VJ would provide a much better introduction to the nature of true American liberty by erring on the side of more speech, rather than less.

More agora of ideas, rather than less. More posts that strike some as offensive, rather than less. Above all, less censorship. Less stifling.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:blink:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i've seen the same pic with republican images on it, i don't see an outcry over it there.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

i've seen the same pic with republican images on it, i don't see an outcry over it there.

:blink:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You should read the whole thing before you conclude there's an "outcry".

Oh, come on now. We know its hard for some who comment here a lot to read.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

The Democratic Party existed since George Washington days. They were known as the Jeffersonian Democratic-Republic. Later on changed to today, Democratic Party.

During those times, the Federalists party existed that was influenced by Hamilton who wanted a strong central government. Whereas, the Jeffersonians (anti-Federalists) opposed the idea of having a strong central government. A few decades later, the Federalists membership declined after John Quincy Adams to Andrew Jackson in about 1828.

There are so many untrue information coming from various sources. They even included that the Democrats wants a strong central government. However, it's untrue. In fact, they favored state's rights more so than the centralized government.

Also, there are those who likes to ruin the image of the Republican party as well. The Republican party is similar to the Democratic party, however, they hold true to more faith and/or religous ideology than the Democrats.

I would like to stress to the people who have no idea what the Republican party is all about, and ruin their party with using rethorics to attack another party.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The guy in the picture looks proud, confident, and somewhat handsome. I like it.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

what is offensive for one, is not offensive for everyone. democrats are people too.

btw, why do you hate republicans?

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Brother Scandal I understand what you are saying. I also think the rules in OT should be relaxed somewhat to allow people to say what they want short of threats and spam. Post a big warning on the forums selection screen if you like warning of a "no holds barred" sort of moderation. I have learned to ignore the insults to Reps and conservatives and it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't need a mod to decide what is offensive to me.