-Cinnamon-

11 years illegal

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
oh man i gotta ask this how is he paying taxes if he is not legal he cant have a ss number, so is he using someone else's?

sara

that wouldnt surprise me, we had a lawyer tell my fiancee to use my ssn. need else to say we got rid of her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved to general immigration forum from citizenship forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Look, there are millions of illegal immigrants right now who have been working for years and paying taxes, don't you think that if there was a way to adjust your status so easily it would have been known by now, it just can't happen unless he marries someone, Period. I might add that the fact that no one has caught him yet because there a MILLIONS like him in the same situation, USA doesn't have the resources to find and kick out all of these people, plus they kind of need them for the economy. So sorry, but tell your friend there is no way besides marriage (I’m in no way suggesting he marries for the green card).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

And now he wants to get married to USC??

Dang was he drunk and forgot about his ticket back to Scottland??

He probably will face a ban for a few yrs.

wonder if he paid taxes off income, or was bumming off some poor sucker for living.

WOW

2yrs of AP and waiting for hubby legit and have to hear these stories.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

If immigration isn't looking for him then maybe now's a good time for him to go home and find a different visa to come here on legally and pray that he's not on the list already.

When does a ban take initial effect? Is it from the date you leave or the date you entered illegally? It seems to me there was a guy from france on here recently who's ban took effect from the day he entered illegally.

That's why you need good legal information before taking any irreversible action (like leaving the US).

The INA 212 a 9 b ban takes effect on the date you leave the US. If you don't leave the US, there is no ban. If you have a basis from which to adjust status, there may be no legal penalty whatsoever for an 11 year overstay, provided you adjust status without leaving the US. But the laws says there will be a penalty for leaving after having overstayed so long. That doesn't seem logical, and if I had been in charge of writing the law, it wouldn't be that way, but they didn't ask me. You deal with the laws as they are, not as they ought to be.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

There is some mistake here. For decades, at least, it has never been legal for someone on a tourist visa to be employed in the U.S. The UK also has this regulation, and has for at least a half-century.

However, until recently, the US did not require employers to make certain their employees were here legally.

More to the point, even a cracker-jack lawyer probably won't help so long as he is unmarried, though the lawyer would be happy to accept the fee in advance. As observed already, there are millions like your friend, and they seem to stay here safely. He has time, probably, to reflect on his marital intentions, if any, and get serious about life.

Filed: Other Timeline

I was out of status for about 8 years.

Here is the date that matters: 1997 (don't remember the exact day and month).

If your friend entered the country legally, which he did, and has not left the US since, he can adjust status from within the US. Of course, he needs to show the two past years' tax returns when filing for AOS, which at this time he can't.

If he entered the country at any time after 1997, he cannot adjust from within the country and the 10-year ban applies.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

His only way to stay here is to get married to a USC, if you come to America legally, over stay, become illegal, you can still get married and file like anyone else. I know someone who did this and her (his wife) paperwork processed in the normal amount of time (she had a GC in about 3 years from the time they married and no removal of conditions interview either). If anyone comes to America illegally, they basically have no options.

Wow, I had no idea Scotland was so bad that natives didn't want to return home where family and everything they know are.... sure he isn't wanted by the law? :)

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

oh man i gotta ask this how is he paying taxes if he is not legal he cant have a ss number, so is he using someone else's?

sara

Are you really that naïve, False ID False SSN

This go’s on all the time and our government allows this problem to grow and fester. The IRS is just as culpable, they receive millions of tax dollars from illegal’s. Business hire them at low wages to make more profit and to drive American wages down. Why do you think members of congress are trying to kill the E-Verify program and other bills to stop illegal immigration Time to open your eyes……

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6539382.html Bond set for man with 28 deportations

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8100783 Feds Accuse SC Poultry Plant of Illegal Hiring

Schumer Pushes Amnesty Bill by Labor Day, Despite the Objections of the American People http://www.fairus.org/site/News2/815371091?page=NewsArticle&id=20955&security=1601&news_iv_ctrl=1012#3

Virginia Pays $1 Billion for Illegal Immigration

House Committee Vote Will Lead to Taxpayer-Subsidized Health Care for Illegal Aliens. And on and on it go’s

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

He came here in the USA from Scotland 11 years ago, on a 3 month travel (tourist) visa and has been here all this time, ILLEGAL. He gave a lawyer $5000 3 years ago and the lawyer has done nothing and he cannot locate him.

Any advice for this case is highly appreciated.

Not enough information to give advice. What is this 'friend's' intention? (To remain - is he married? )

It's plenty of info, given the 11 yrs here. It's called, AMNESTY, and MANY have gotten it.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This thread makes me uncomfortable. I believe that more than one reply here verges on (or crosses the line of) offering legal (or legalistic) advice that may or may not apply. Is it up to us to conjecture on the man's exact legal status, or to offer advice (with legal implications) on how to make an illegal resident legal? The man should consult an attorney, period. Perhaps a moderator will see fit to close this thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree. The details as they have been presented are more involved than any of us here can safely address. Your friend needs the services of a good and knowledgeable immigration lawyer. Speculation can be harmful. I am closing this thread.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.