rebeccajo

Ohio boy sells his toys to help his family

187 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I just don't think a child needs to be burdened with the knowledge of money problems.

I can go along with that having a dad that abandoned seven kids when I was ten. We had to pull together, I got an afternoon paper route at the ripe old age of ten, and shortly after a morning route as well, 24/7 wasn't used back then. At 16, got a job setting bowling pins, worked extra hard to get some tips, also cut grass and shoveled snow for extra bucks, mom got my entire paycheck plus my brothers and sisters had to do the same thing. Doubt if you can call any of use spoiled brats.

Then drafted, would someone please play the violin? Mom tried to get me out, my three sisters and one brother got married and had their own problems leaving her with my two youngest brothers, she was sick, Uncle Sam told her, tough sh!t. She died when I got released, got a job and went to college at night and took over with my two brothers. We made it and have held the highest position of vice-president and general manager of a fortune 500 company until I got fed up with that and started my own business. No freedom whatsoever in that position.

Let's talk about freedom, do any of us really enjoy that?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
'The Lord is teaching me to swallow my pride' ...

/resisting urge to tell a charlesque sexual joke....

you're not doing a very good job by alluding to it ;)

Where's Steven? I want him to tell me whether or not he'd allow his kid to sell his toys. His refusal to answer is leading me to believe he might!

I have a huge problem with anyone advertising their charitable giving anyway. It's not the way I was brought up to handle the whole charity situation. What one does in that regard is personal and private and one does it because the act itself gives one some satisfaction, not the congratulations from others seeing you make whatever sacrifice or donation you make. Totally against my personal ethos.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

it says in the article that the dad is not relying on the money.. I am sure it is more about the gesture for the father not the money...

Right, a meaningless feel-good gesture that has the result of producing a toy-less child who can't have fun anymore without anything to actually show for the sacrifice.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
it says in the article that the dad is not relying on the money.. I am sure it is more about the gesture for the father not the money...

Right, a meaningless feel-good gesture that has the result of producing a toy-less child who can't have fun anymore without anything to actually show for the sacrifice.

do you really think he would have sold all his toys..?? :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Why does the kid have to sell any of them? What is the point?

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
"I am very proud of him," McGuire told WNWO. "He is an 11-year-old boy not living the life of an 11-year-old."

If daddy owes 30K ####### are a few toys gonna do? Daddy sounds like a #######, encouraging his kid to not be a kid for something symbolic and meaningless. Maybe he just wanted to see his name in the papers.

It's the spirit of the gesture that deserves recognition, you heartless #######. :rolleyes:

We value meaningless gestures that yield no real reward. That's why we get the politicians we do :)

Disagree.

It's not a meaningless gesture when it was the child's idea to begin with. There is definite truth in the saying that one person can make a difference. My children have been raised with this attitude and I think my son, who is about to start college, is far better for it. He appreciates what we have and he appreciates that you don't need 'stuff' to be happy in life. It's of more value to realize that standing by doing nothing serves no purpose.

How many children think beyond themselves to think of others in this world of 'do what you want, when you want, if it makes you feel good'?

ETA: I agree with Cleo about charity being a personal thing, however. My children were raised in an environment of working with and for a local charity, but they do so willingly and never expect anything in return except the personal satisfaction of knowing they've done something.

Edited by jundp

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Why does the kid have to sell any of them? What is the point?

the kid didn't have to sell any of his toys.. he chose to sell his toys...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif