187 posts in this topic

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I just don't think a child needs to be burdened with the knowledge of money problems.

You think the father should wave goodbye to his son every morning, drive off and pretend he has a job? The boy is 11 yrs. old and probably pretty keen about the family's financial situation. A parent can only keep so much from their children before they figure out that money is tight.

No, not for allowing the news to do the story, for allowing it to BECOME a story. It should never have become one, his toys should not have been sold as some kind of empty gesture, which is all it amounts to. Even if he had something of real value, I wouldn't sell it if it was me, however chuffed I would be if my kid made the offer.

Riiiiight.

Right what? This is feel good schmaltz of the worst kind. If you want to feel good, read the stories from a dead soldier, at least that has some meaning. This poor kid is making a sacrifice for no good reason, unless you believe he's old enough to support his words with actions. You would be in a minority on that one, I believe. Not to mention the fact that I don't need articles like this to feel good about the average American 11 year old. I would imagine most 11 year olds look up to their dads and would do anything they could to please him.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
No, not for allowing the news to do the story, for allowing it to BECOME a story. It should never have become one, his toys should not have been sold as some kind of empty gesture, which is all it amounts to. Even if he had something of real value, I wouldn't sell it if it was me, however chuffed I would be if my kid made the offer.

Riiiiight.

Right what? This is feel good schmaltz of the worst kind. If you want to feel good, read the stories from a dead soldier, at least that has some meaning. This poor kid is making a sacrifice for no good reason, unless you believe he's old enough to support his words with actions. You would be in a minority on that one, I believe. Not to mention the fact that I don't need articles like this to feel good about the average American 11 year old. I would imagine most 11 year olds look up to their dads and would do anything they could to please him.

:rofl: You are a riot today.

I just don't think a child needs to be burdened with the knowledge of money problems.

You think the father should wave goodbye to his son every morning, drive off and pretend he has a job? The boy is 11 yrs. old and probably pretty keen about the family's financial situation. A parent can only keep so much from their children before they figure out that money is tight.

What ####### Colonel. A choice between outright lying and laying the burden at the kids feet? Of course the kid is going to know money is tight, but he should not have to shoulder the burden of sacrifice just to make a point. That's downright ridiculous, and I don't see you doing it either, to be honest. Has the father given up cable, the family computer, his flat screen tv? The father's possessions should be first in line for the garage sale, not the kids.

Edited by Madame Cleo

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Riiiiight.

:rofl: You are a riot today.

I just hope you don't believe this #######. Hopefully you don't but if you do, this is no better than the celebrity trivia stories we get rammed down our throats. This kid is not unusual, the only thing unusual about this is that the father is prepared to accept the $100 some his kids toys will fetch to pay a $30,000 debt. That's pathetic.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Timeline

What ####### Colonel. A choice between outright lying and laying the burden at the kids feet? Of course the kid is going to know money is tight, but he should not have to shoulder the burden of sacrifice just to make a point. That's downright ridiculous, and I don't see you doing it either, to be honest. Has the father given up cable, the family computer, his flat screen tv? The father's possessions should be first in line for the garage sale, not the kids.

:lol: .....oh man...it must be Monday.

Filed: Timeline

Children should be taught that when there is a crisis - financial or otherwise - one should react in meaningful ways that either alleviate the effects of the crisis or attempt to attack the root cause of the crisis.

To teach a child that to engage in a purely symbolic and unhelpful act is commendable is to teach them the wrong lesson of life.

Money's tight? Cut down on discretionary and recurring expenses; get a job (or 2nd job).

Not - let's sell your toys and get our names in the paper.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What usually happens in stories like this is that someone will come forward (either the network or a private philanthropist who saw the story on TV) and gives the kid better stuff than he had before...

Edited by Private Pike

"He is an 11-year-old boy not living the life of an 11-year-old."

And that right there is why daddy's a douchebag...

Oye...

Would you let your kid sell his toys even if you knew it wouldn't do anything? Let's just cut the bullsh!t.

I think he would. But Steven's no douchebag, just a sentimental sap who mistakes the mirage for the oasis.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

"He is an 11-year-old boy not living the life of an 11-year-old."

And that right there is why daddy's a douchebag...

Oye...

Would you let your kid sell his toys even if you knew it wouldn't do anything? Let's just cut the bullsh!t.

I think he would. But Steven's no douchebag, just a sentimental sap who mistakes the mirage for the oasis.

I think we all would melt at this kid offering to sell his toys to help, but even Steven wouldn't let him do it.