• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
the white one looks lonely

she looks scared, she has a lesbian makin moves on her.

now we're talking. If we want to discuss feelings and sh!t... I suggest we do so the right thinking way. No more of this little sad boy and his little sad poppy.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

You do know that little boys were dressed like that in the 1800's don't you? They often look like girls, it's weird as hell,but those Victorians, well, what can one say?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Angry? :lol: You think I am angry? Surprised perhaps, but angry is funny. As for the pic, yeah, more sentimental schmaltz. I don't like it, for sure, and certainly wouldn't have pictures like that hanging in my home, but angry? For what?

:lol: Ok, how about this one? A Thomas Kinkade masterpiece.

1180539931_thomas_kinkade_61.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ha, I am buying all the toys I missed out when I was a kid, NOW. Should see my Lionel train collection, wife has a similar background, she never got a teddy bear, now she must have 50 of them, some even talk back. Never too late. When we are not playing house, we can play with our toys. This weekend was a brand new Catrike for me, really cool, and my dog loves it.

Actually trains are boring, just go around in circles. None of us are into video games, we can also go in the backyard and play in the mud, that is really fun.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I just don't think a child needs to be burdened with the knowledge of money problems.

You think the father should wave goodbye to his son every morning, drive off and pretend he has a job? The boy is 11 yrs. old and probably pretty keen about the family's financial situation. A parent can only keep so much from their children before they figure out that money is tight.

Not true. My mother kept our financial situation as a child out of my head. I had no clue until I was older that things were tight.

She didn't act like we rich and rolling in it either, it just wasn't talked about. I spent my childhood being a child.

And this boy selling his toys just sounds like his childhood is being taken away because of his fathers financial burden. It shouldn't be up to your kids to carry that burden.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I just don't think a child needs to be burdened with the knowledge of money problems.

You think the father should wave goodbye to his son every morning, drive off and pretend he has a job? The boy is 11 yrs. old and probably pretty keen about the family's financial situation. A parent can only keep so much from their children before they figure out that money is tight.

Not true. My mother kept our financial situation as a child out of my head. I had no clue until I was older that things were tight.

She didn't act like we rich and rolling in it either, it just wasn't talked about. I spent my childhood being a child.

And this boy selling his toys just sounds like his childhood is being taken away because of his fathers financial burden. It shouldn't be up to your kids to carry that burden.

Do you think that should work in the opposite too? Like if a parent is loaded with money, they shouldn't let their kid know it either?

I answered in the poll section and here was my rationale:

As much as everyone is saying kids shouldn't be aware of the financial problems of a family, the reality is that kids are much more aware than adults realize. Kids pick up on things, as much as parents try to hide things from them. I would let my child sell his toys to give him back a sense of control. I know that probably sounds strange, but the reality is that when problems happen in a family, the kids often feel so out of control and powerless. So, I don't see selling the toys as a meaningless gesture at all, but rather something that would give the child some sense of control. That said, I would not want my child to sell all of his toys and would encourage him to keep some. For me, it is more about the child's mental health and empowering him.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Timeline

Do you think that should work in the opposite too? Like if a parent is loaded with money, they shouldn't let their kid know it either?

When I lived in LA my cousin went to school with a lot of kids who had celebrity parents. None of those kids knew any different. This one 6yr old came to the movies with us and he had a cell phone and a credit card. I was like #######? My aunt asked him why he needed those things and he actually gave us reasons.

I really don't think kids notice either way unless they see someone who is way worse off or way better off than they are.

eta: I don't think they realize until they reach a certain age when material things become more important

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Timeline

As much as everyone is saying kids shouldn't be aware of the financial problems of a family, the reality is that kids are much more aware than adults realize. Kids pick up on things, as much as parents try to hide things from them. I would let my child sell his toys to give him back a sense of control. I know that probably sounds strange, but the reality is that when problems happen in a family, the kids often feel so out of control and powerless. So, I don't see selling the toys as a meaningless gesture at all, but rather something that would give the child some sense of control. That said, I would not want my child to sell all of his toys and would encourage him to keep some. For me, it is more about the child's mental health and empowering him.

Thank, God. A sane one among the loons. :thumbs:

yes, the kid will develop a sense of entitlement...aka...be a spoiled little rich kid.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Timeline

When I lived in LA my cousin went to school with a lot of kids who had celebrity parents. None of those kids knew any different. This one 6yr old came to the movies with us and he had a cell phone and a credit card. I was like #######? My aunt asked him why he needed those things and he actually gave us reasons.

I really don't think kids notice either way unless they see someone who is way worse off or way better off than they are.

So did your parents keep you from knowing how much money they really had? When did you realize that your family was much better off financially then your classmates?

yes, the kid will develop a sense of entitlement...aka...be a spoiled little rich kid.

So you would refrain from buying lavish things because you wouldn't want to give your child a bad impression? You'd live modestly for your child's sake?

Thank, God. A sane one among the loons. :thumbs:

I'm sure I'll get slammed too :)

Honestly, a lot of where I am coming from is due to my work .... I see a lot of kids whose parents think they know nothing about the problems in the family when in reality, the kids are painfully aware.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

How empowering is it, though, for a child to sell his toys only to realize that it didn't change a thing wrt the financial situation?

Filed: Other Timeline
Whatever happened to shielding kids from the bullsh!t of the world?

The same people who believe in 'shielding their kids from bullsh!t" are the same people who give all the little kiddies on the losing Little League team a trophy just for being 'stars'. They're the same people who go into the classroom and read the teacher a riot act if their little darling isn't picked for some achievement they didn't deserve. Bullsh!t is out there, just like real life. A good parent prepares their child for all of life, not just the rosy parts.