rebeccajo

Ohio boy sells his toys to help his family

187 posts in this topic

'The Lord is teaching me to swallow my pride' ...

/resisting urge to tell a charlesque sexual joke....

you're not doing a very good job by alluding to it ;)

Where's Steven? I want him to tell me whether or not he'd allow his kid to sell his toys. His refusal to answer is leading me to believe he might!

I'm scarfing down a meatball marinara from subway right now so I can't type much....just shake my head at all you.

And yes...if my 11 yr. old boy wanted to sell his toys to help the family out, I would tell him first that he didn't have to, but if he insisted then I would allow it. It's a powerful lesson for the boy. That father has instilled in his boy some good values, IMO.

You think it's right to re-inforce feel good do nothing sacrifices? Where does this end as well? Has the kid forfeited the right to a nice toy until the dad has paid off all his debts? It just does not make sense, no matter what way you slice it. The sacrifice of the child is stupid, no matter what the motivation for it is. It is not a lesson I would teach my kid. He would learn that if a sacrifice has meaning, then it's worth doing, but an empty gesture? Not on your life.

Good God, MC. If you can't see the value in it then what more can I say? You have an incredibly cynical view about sentimentality.

Not at all. I posted an incredibly moving and poignant story this morning. Something with real meaning that wasn't done for fame or fortune and illustrating genuine sacrifice of both parents and children. This is just schmaltz. I am sorry you can't tell the difference, really.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I really dislike the premise behind this story as well. Look at this kid, isn't he unusual in today's society? What a cynical manipulation of the reality. Maybe the kid is special, I don't know, but not for selling his toys, bleh, humbug.

:rofl: What you need is a cute little Elmo doll. One that asks you for a hug every time you push his nose.

Filed: Timeline
Steve I really think the dad took an online class paid for by the kool-aid stand money on "how to ####### out your child to the media for your own personal gain"

bwahahhahahah

no, Amby...it's about sentimentality. Get it straight! *stern look & finger point*

He's gonna be the next Joe the Plumber. Soon he'll be on the news, writing a book, reporting in Iraq, and running for congress.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Colonel, you can be a right ####### sometimes. So you get manipulated by pulp journalism? No skin of my nose. Enjoy.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
Steve I really think the dad took an online class paid for by the kool-aid stand money on "how to ####### out your child to the media for your own personal gain"

bwahahhahahah

no, Amby...it's about sentimentality. Get it straight! *stern look & finger point*

He's gonna be the next Joe the Plumber. Soon he'll be on the news, writing a book, reporting in Iraq, and running for congress.

Stories of my father. :rofl:

Timeline
Colonel, you can be a right ####### sometimes. So you get manipulated by pulp journalism? No skin of my nose. Enjoy.

Tell me....does this picture make you angry?

sentimental.jpg

Ding Ding Ding, and we have a winner!

:rofl: Lisa's back! Lisa's back! Welcome back, Lisa!

Filed: Timeline
the white one looks lonely

she looks scared, she has a lesbian makin moves on her.

lol I think she was talkin about the duck, but I agree with your assessment...

oh yeah I was talkin bout the duck. the lesbian children make me uncomfortable.

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Angry? :lol: You think I am angry? Surprised perhaps, but angry is funny. As for the pic, yeah, more sentimental schmaltz. I don't like it, for sure, and certainly wouldn't have pictures like that hanging in my home, but angry? For what?