rebeccajo

Ohio boy sells his toys to help his family

187 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

By Janet DiGiacomo

CNN

(CNN) -- An 11-year-old Ohio boy is helping ease his family's financial burdens, one toy at a time.

Zach McGuire is selling his toys to raise money for his family, which like others across the country, has bills piling up and a home in jeopardy.

The youth said the idea came up during a conversation with his father.

"You can't live in toys, or eat toys," he told CNN television affiliate WNWO. "Even though they are fun, you don't need them."

Zach plans to use the proceeds for a good cause: helping his unemployed father.

Tom McGuire, a licensed contractor in Toledo, Ohio, has not had a job since December. The economy is partly to blame, he said, adding that he did a job last summer and never got paid.

As the general contractor on the job, he said, he was financially liable for materials and the work of two subcontractors. "I'm out $30,000," McGuire said.

The father said he is looking for work and is not relying on money from his son's toy sales. But he appreciates his effort.

"Zach has a big, giving heart," McGuire said. "He came to me with this idea. He wants to contribute." Watch how Zach McGuire is helping his family »

It's not the first time Zach has helped those in need. In 2005, he sold Kool-Aid for victims of Hurricane Katrina and raised $400. A few years later, it was "Cocoa for California," which he sold to help wildfire victims.

"I am very proud of him," McGuire told WNWO. "He is an 11-year-old boy not living the life of an 11-year-old."

Zach said everyone can do something.

"Even though they don't feel like they could do anything, they could do a Kool-Aid stand, like me," he said. "It's what you're doing that matters and how you're helping people."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/20/ohio.boy....mily/index.html

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
"I am very proud of him," McGuire told WNWO. "He is an 11-year-old boy not living the life of an 11-year-old."

If daddy owes 30K ####### are a few toys gonna do? Daddy sounds like a #######, encouraging his kid to not be a kid for something symbolic and meaningless. Maybe he just wanted to see his name in the papers.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

If daddy owes 30K ####### are a few toys gonna do? Daddy sounds like a #######, encouraging his kid to not be a kid for something symbolic and meaningless. Maybe he just wanted to see his name in the papers.

It would help pay for a monthly healthcare premium. Dont you know there are 45 million uninsured? :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

he should sell the kid. oh wait, mj is dead.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

:rofl:

#######, and I didn't post exactly that cuz I thought it was way over the top. thank the gods I can always count on charles to be inappropriate :lol:

agreed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This conversation came up about my newest granddaughter, neighbor had a large garage sell loaded with Fisher-Price toys, had a problem getting a buck for some of those toys that sold for over 30. Told my son about it, please don't, his wife has two brothers and a sister way ahead of her dropping off all kinds of toys. You know that bit about 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, etc.

Son said, don't buy anything, can't find space for what he has. I ran into the same thing when I was cleaning my house for my new wife, found boxes and boxes of toys around here, called my kids and asked them if they wanted them, said, no dad. Didn't want to pitch them so gave them to Good Will, they will take them.

So my only question is, is there a market for toys?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If daddy owes 30K ####### are a few toys gonna do?

World's Most Expensive Toys

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's the spirit of the gesture that deserves recognition, you heartless #######. :rolleyes:

Edited by Col. 'Bat' Guano

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
:pop:

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

It's the spirit of the gesture that deserves recognition, you heartless #######. :rolleyes:

We value meaningless gestures that yield no real reward. That's why we get the politicians we do :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We value meaningless gestures that yield no real reward. That's why we get the politicians we do :)

...better to teach the boy who John Galt is.

Edited by Col. 'Bat' Guano