Muhammad n Maryam

How long is 40 quarters

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In my understand a co sponsor's responsibly can be relieved after 40 quarters of employment, exactly how long is 40 quarters , and what other way's can a co sponsor's responsibility's not be needed any more.

Thanks !

u9vmq44n58.gif

'It's not how much you give or what you say, it is how much love you give in what you do'

as1czXHFg2B1530MjEyODc2c3wwMDAyNDNsfFNpbmNlIHdlIHdlcmUgbWFycmllZA.gif

10 years. If the individual being sponsored becomes an American citizen then the co-sponsor's resposibilities are over. Good luck.

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Timeline
10 years. If the individual being sponsored becomes an American citizen then the co-sponsor's resposibilities are over. Good luck.

Janet

Thank you :star:

u9vmq44n58.gif

'It's not how much you give or what you say, it is how much love you give in what you do'

Filed: Other Timeline

Janet

Not that simple.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1381.html

5. INA SECTION 213 (A)(A)(3)(B) NOTES THAT, IN DETERMINING THE NUMBER OF QUARTERS, THE ALIEN SHALL BE CREDITED WITH (I) ALL OF THE QUALIFYING QUARTERS OF COVERAGE AS DEFINED UNDER TITLE II OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT WORKED BY A PARENT OF SUCH ALIEN WHILE THE ALIEN WAS UNDER AGE 18, AND (II) ALL OF THE QUALIFYING QUARTERS WORKED BY A SPOUSE OF SUCH ALIEN DURING THEIR MARRIAGE AND THE ALIEN REMAUSCIS MARRIED TO SUCH SPOUSE OR SUCH SPOUSE IS DECEASED. (NOTE: TITLE II OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT REFERS TO FEDERAL OLD-AGE, SURVIVORS, AND DISABILITY INSURANCE BENEFITS.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Janet

Not that simple.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1381.html

5. INA SECTION 213 (A)(A)(3)(B) NOTES THAT, IN DETERMINING THE NUMBER OF QUARTERS, THE ALIEN SHALL BE CREDITED WITH (I) ALL OF THE QUALIFYING QUARTERS OF COVERAGE AS DEFINED UNDER TITLE II OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT WORKED BY A PARENT OF SUCH ALIEN WHILE THE ALIEN WAS UNDER AGE 18, AND (II) ALL OF THE QUALIFYING QUARTERS WORKED BY A SPOUSE OF SUCH ALIEN DURING THEIR MARRIAGE AND THE ALIEN REMAUSCIS MARRIED TO SUCH SPOUSE OR SUCH SPOUSE IS DECEASED. (NOTE: TITLE II OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY ACT REFERS TO FEDERAL OLD-AGE, SURVIVORS, AND DISABILITY INSURANCE BENEFITS.)

Rebecca, are you saying, that if someone has been married to their spouse for 5 years,( I.e, the alien, that has not applied for citizenship, is married to the US citizen), they technically have 5 years or 20 quarters accumulated?

And if this is so, do they loose the acquired quarters if they choose to take citizenship?

Hope that made sense.

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

I'm saying that when applying for SS benefits or when determining if the 40-quarter requirement for enforceability of the I864 has been met, that the work quarters the USC spouse earned during the time of the marriage can be counted towards the alien's total.

I do not know if this "vanishes" at citizenship. I imagine that DM would know.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I'm saying that when applying for SS benefits or when determining if the 40-quarter requirement for enforceability of the I864 has been met, that the work quarters the USC spouse earned during the time of the marriage can be counted towards the alien's total.

I do not know if this "vanishes" at citizenship. I imagine that DM would know.

Ty R-J.! :thumbs:

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't see why such credited quarters of employment would vanish with citizenship - they would still count towards the SS benefits for which they are established. What ends with citizenship is the spouse's contractual obligations from the Affidavit of Support. From my understanding if the immigrant worked for 5 years and her spouse worked for 5 years between the two of them they have 'earned' the necessary 40 quarters for SSA benefits, thus also meeting the contractual obligation for the Affidavit of Support.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I can't see why such credited quarters of employment would vanish with citizenship - they would still count towards the SS benefits for which they are established. What ends with citizenship is the spouse's contractual obligations from the Affidavit of Support. From my understanding if the immigrant worked for 5 years and her spouse worked for 5 years between the two of them they have 'earned' the necessary 40 quarters for SSA benefits, thus also meeting the contractual obligation for the Affidavit of Support.

If the foreign spouse never works, but the sponsor spouse works ten years, has the 40 quarters criteria been met. Or, can the foreign spouse only earn two quarters for each quarter the two both work?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I find this "40 quarters" stuff very confusing.

I am now a U.S. citizen, and I have worked a total of 5 years (or almost 5 years). I planned on working for 10 years, thinking that I needed to work for 10 years in order to get any Social Security benefits.

So, what is the real deal on this? If I had never worked since coming to the U.S., would I still be eligible for Social Security benefits when I retire?

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

I am now a U.S. citizen, and I have worked a total of 5 years (or almost 5 years). I planned on working for 10 years, thinking that I needed to work for 10 years in order to get any Social Security benefits.

So, what is the real deal on this? If I had never worked since coming to the U.S., would I still be eligible for Social Security benefits when I retire?

I'd really rather not hedge answers on any of this because I know it can get complicated.

The calculation is used by States in determining if immigrants can draw Medicaid. It is used by the SS Administration to determine if immigrants qualify for SSI. Of course it is also used to determine if the US spouse could be responsible to States for reimbursement of means tested benefits.

Only the quarters the USC has earned since the marriage contribute. If the marriage has ended, the alien does not continue to collect quarters.

As far as drawing straight Social Security at retirement, I'm not sure about the alien drawing quarters from the USC if they have never worked. I'm sure they would draw survivors benefits if they have naturalized.

I do have a suspicion that all of this 'quarter counting' business goes down the drain if the alien naturalizes. I'm not sure it applies at all towards retirement benefits. The counting of quarters for aliens seems to come into play mostly for SSI, not retirement benefits. But I could sure be wrong on that count.

I also know that countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom have 'totalization' agreements with each other. What this means for the alien is that he/she may be able to receive credit for pension contributions in their home country towards US Social Security.

I ran into a friend of mine the other day who has worked at SS for ages. We started talking about this, and she said it is indeed complicated. The best way for anyone immigrant to know what they may be entitled to or are working towards would be to make an appointment with Senior Agent at your SS office.

Not so sure about retirement issues, but for the original question regarding the sponsor's obligation on the affidavit of support, the answer depends on marital status and work status.

If the alien is single and working constantly, or is married with only one spouse working (whether the alien or the other spouse) then 40 quarters equals 10 years.

If the alien is married and both spouses are working constantly, 40 quarters equals 5 years.

If the alien is not employed and is either unmarried or married to someone who is unemployed, then that alien is not earning quarters of credit for social security at all, so that individual will NEVER earn 40 quarters at that pace. That's also true if the alien is working "under the table".

From a point of view of the affidavit of support, if the alien remains employed, chances are good that the sponsor won't have to fork over any money for the affidavit of support anyway. So the case where the alien remains employed isn't such a concern. The problem arises if the sponsor starts to have to provide support for the alien because the alien can't sustain himself/herself substantially above the poverty line. The sponsor may want to know "when will this drain on my finances stop?" The answer could well be, "Not until the alien gets a job, leaves the US permanently, dies, or becomes a citizen."

The nightmare scenario is that the alien becomes disabled or just decides to become a deadbeat. The obligations under the affidavit of support could continue indefinitely. Note that none of the terminating conditions of the affidavit of support are under the sponsor's control (assuming we rule out murder and suicide). And, other than death of the alien or death of the sponsor, none of the terminating conditions is guaranteed to happen at all.

The 40 quarters provision does NOT give the affidavit of support a fixed expiration date.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline

I'd really rather not hedge answers on any of this because I know it can get complicated.

The calculation is used by States in determining if immigrants can draw Medicaid. It is used by the SS Administration to determine if immigrants qualify for SSI. Of course it is also used to determine if the US spouse could be responsible to States for reimbursement of means tested benefits.

Only the quarters the USC has earned since the marriage contribute. If the marriage has ended, the alien does not continue to collect quarters.

As far as drawing straight Social Security at retirement, I'm not sure about the alien drawing quarters from the USC if they have never worked. I'm sure they would draw survivors benefits if they have naturalized.

I do have a suspicion that all of this 'quarter counting' business goes down the drain if the alien naturalizes. I'm not sure it applies at all towards retirement benefits. The counting of quarters for aliens seems to come into play mostly for SSI, not retirement benefits. But I could sure be wrong on that count.

I also know that countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom have 'totalization' agreements with each other. What this means for the alien is that he/she may be able to receive credit for pension contributions in their home country towards US Social Security.

I ran into a friend of mine the other day who has worked at SS for ages. We started talking about this, and she said it is indeed complicated. The best way for anyone immigrant to know what they may be entitled to or are working towards would be to make an appointment with Senior Agent at your SS office.

Many thanks to you :thumbs:

u9vmq44n58.gif

Timeline
Not so sure about retirement issues, but for the original question regarding the sponsor's obligation on the affidavit of support, the answer depends on marital status and work status.

If the alien is single and working constantly, or is married with only one spouse working (whether the alien or the other spouse) then 40 quarters equals 10 years.

If the alien is married and both spouses are working constantly, 40 quarters equals 5 years.

If the alien is not employed and is either unmarried or married to someone who is unemployed, then that alien is not earning quarters of credit for social security at all, so that individual will NEVER earn 40 quarters at that pace. That's also true if the alien is working "under the table".

From a point of view of the affidavit of support, if the alien remains employed, chances are good that the sponsor won't have to fork over any money for the affidavit of support anyway. So the case where the alien remains employed isn't such a concern. The problem arises if the sponsor starts to have to provide support for the alien because the alien can't sustain himself/herself substantially above the poverty line. The sponsor may want to know "when will this drain on my finances stop?" The answer could well be, "Not until the alien gets a job, leaves the US permanently, dies, or becomes a citizen."

The nightmare scenario is that the alien becomes disabled or just decides to become a deadbeat. The obligations under the affidavit of support could continue indefinitely. Note that none of the terminating conditions of the affidavit of support are under the sponsor's control (assuming we rule out murder and suicide). And, other than death of the alien or death of the sponsor, none of the terminating conditions is guaranteed to happen at all.

The 40 quarters provision does NOT give the affidavit of support a fixed expiration date.

Dear Lucyrich: Your explanation is what my understanding was and you have clarified it so well. Thanks! However one thing that is not clear to me is regarding health care for such immigrants. How about health care costs? Is the sponsor responsible for medical bills etc of the alien? I appreciate if you or anyone throw some light on this issue?

Thanks!!

IR1 , I-130

Interview at New Delhi Embassy on April 11th

AP/AR Started on April 24th

AP/AR Completed at DOS on May 19th.

Embassy Completd Case on June 7th.

Visa issued on June 8th

Visa in Hand on June 10th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.