3bvsla

i360 VAWA denial - consequences

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

what are the consequences of denial i-360?

if they deny i-360, would i be sentenced to leave the country/ be deported?

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

November 25 2008 RFE #1 received [good faith + good moral character].

January 7 2009 RFE #1 sent back.

June 9 2009 received a letter "Response to RFE #1 received on JANUARY 13, and case processing has resumed"

August 17 2009 RFE #2 [good faith].

October 27 2009 RFE #2 sent out.

October 28 2009 Response to RFE #2 received, and case processing has resumed

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

February 8, 2010, APPROVED.

September 4, 2010 touched.

AOS:

March 18 2010 I-485 filed to VSC with a fee waiver.

March 22 2010 I-485 received.

April 13 2010 NOA1 with a "fee previously collected"

April 16 2010 touched. Biometrics appointment sent.

April 30 2010 Biometrics appointment date.

May 3 2010 Late biometrics done.

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

September 22 2010 case transferred to NBC.

September 23 2010 touched.

October 5 2010 case is transferred to USCIS office.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 20 2010 touched. Interview notice date.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

November 29 2010 interview date. Approved.

December 2 2010. Card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
what are the consequences of denial i-360?

if they deny i-360, would i be sentenced to leave the country/ be deported?

File an EOIR-29 "Notice of Appeal" with the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). If you're lucky, you'll get the denial overturned. If that fails, the next step is to file an appeal with the District Court of Appeals. Failing that, keep moving up the appeals court ladder until you either win your case, have an appeals court refuse to hear your case, lose at the US Supreme Court, or run out of money to pay your attorneys.

If your case is likely to garner your attorney a lot of free publicity (something attorneys really love) then they might take the case pro bono, which means free of charge. Otherwise, I'm guessing the "run out of money" option will kick in before you get to the District Court of Appeals.

At any point along the way, you can give up and go back to your home country, or wait to be deported.

The BIA appeal is relatively inexpensive, but most appeals are denied, and most people never go any further.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
but most appeals are denied, and most people never go any further.

very upsetting information..

EWTN2009, i never heard about denied VAWAs , but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.. ;(

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

June 9 2009 received a letter "Response to RFE #1 received on JANUARY 13, and case processing has resumed"

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

AOS:

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

Timeline

EWTN2009, i never heard about denied VAWAs , but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.. ;(

VAWA applications are denied if the applicant can't show enough evidence that the abuse actually took place. VAWA applications receive extra scrutiny because they are frequently used by immigration scammers who don't want to wait it out in a sham marriage to get their legal status, and are looking for a shortcut to an unconditional green card. Most VAWA applications are approved, though.

Most appeals are denied because the applicant usually can't present any new evidence to change the initial ruling.

Filed: Other Timeline

VAWA applications are denied if the applicant can't show enough evidence that the abuse actually took place. VAWA applications receive extra scrutiny because they are frequently used by immigration scammers who don't want to wait it out in a sham marriage to get their legal status, and are looking for a shortcut to an unconditional green card. Most VAWA applications are approved, though.

Most appeals are denied because the applicant usually can't present any new evidence to change the initial ruling.

In other words.... When you get your Prima facie letter means that you're almost there? I know that letter says that it doesn't mean your case would be approved but if they considerate that you sent enough evidence, don't request more evidence and issue a prima facie letter , I think they're pre-aproving your case, isn't it? Am I wrong?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

dont throw your life and marriage away.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Timeline

In other words.... When you get your Prima facie letter means that you're almost there? I know that letter says that it doesn't mean your case would be approved but if they considerate that you sent enough evidence, don't request more evidence and issue a prima facie letter , I think they're pre-aproving your case, isn't it? Am I wrong?

Prima Facie is Latin. It literally means "on it's face". What this means is that, at first glance, you appear to have enough evidence for your case to proceed. It doesn't mean your evidence has been ACCEPTED as FACT. It doesn't mean "you're almost there". It means you've gotten past the first step. If the evidence you submitted is subsequently found to be factual, then your case will be approved.

Timeline
EWTN2009, yes, thats what Prima facie means - "pre-approval". But doesn't mean approval? No. There might be some additional evidences requested as well.

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

AOS:

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

Filed: Timeline

Correction: The prima facie determination is made to provide the alien a "qualified" status in order to seek benefits (such as assistance or an EAD) while the case is being thoroughly reviewed. The actual approval or denial in a VAWA case can take many months. In order for an alien to receive a prima facie determination...he or she must have addressed each of the requirements listed below and have provided some supporting evidence. This may be in the form of a statement that addresses each requirement.

The self-petitioning spouse,

• Must be legally married to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident batterer. A self-petition may be filed if the marriage was terminated by the abusive spouse’s death within the two years prior to filing. A self-petition may also be filed if the marriage to the abusive spouse was terminated, within the two years prior to filing, by divorce related to the abuse.
  • Must have been battered in the United States unless the abusive spouse is an employee of the United States government or a member of the uniformed services of the United States.
  • Must have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty during the marriage, or must be the parent of a child who was battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse during the marriage.
  • Is required to be a person of good moral character.
  • Must have entered into the marriage in good faith, not solely for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits.

Prima Facie is Latin. It literally means "on it's face". What this means is that, at first glance, you appear to have enough evidence for your case to proceed. It doesn't mean your evidence has been ACCEPTED as FACT. It doesn't mean "you're almost there". It means you've gotten past the first step. If the evidence you submitted is subsequently found to be factual, then your case will be approved.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My friend was denied. She filed appeal with additional evidence (mainly re-wrote her statement with more details). After that they sent her approval.

01/08/1999 - entered on J-1

01/06/2000 - entered on J-1

08/2000 - applied for K-1

08/01/2001 - entered on K-1

10/30/2001 - filed for AOS

04/25/2002 - interview (was missed)

03/01/2003 - I-360 filed

12/19/2005 - I-360 approved

05/14/2006 - I-485 interview

08/26/2006 - GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.