Monai

Future Wife on Food stamps. Would she lose it?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello, my future wife doesnt have a job and has 3 kids. I am making around 35k a year for myself. I was wondering if we get married, would she lose her food stamps and the other government help she is getting?

She will need to get a co-sponsor. After you get your AOS and (hopefully) a job, yes she would lose her eligibility to receive food stamps if the family income is above the level required. It would be hoped you would view this as a GOOD thing.

If she's the USC then she has to prove she can support you financially, either alone or with a co-sponsor. Receiving government assistance for herself and her 3 kids now might prove problematic at an AOS interview.

Sorry, but that's the best information I can give you based on what you've said.

Why would we need a sponsor if im making around 35k? Also why would it be problematic for the AOS interview?

Because you cannot work for 2-6 months, minimum, after arriving in the USA and then you will NOT be making 35K. Your income is not considered for the qualification.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
If she's the USC then she has to prove she can support you financially, either alone or with a co-sponsor. Receiving government assistance for herself and her 3 kids now might prove problematic at an AOS interview.

Sorry, but that's the best information I can give you based on what you've said.

Why would we need a sponsor if im making around 35k? Also why would it be problematic for the AOS interview?

are you currently in the usa making 35k? or is that your income from your country?

sara

In the US.

If you have legally entered the US and are legally working, and have an income of 35K, yes she will probably lose her food stamps and this is a GOOD thing. Be happy.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
If she is US citizen and on public assistance this should not be an issue as long as she can get the help of a joint sponsor.

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=65213

Profile details please: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...rCP&CODE=01

YuAndDan, you always have excellent, informative, concrete answers! This is what makes this journey a bit smoother! :star:

how can u say that? he didnt even answer the question. the op asked if she would loose her govt. assistance and food stamps....not does he need a joint sponsor.

It is a logical response. Anyone receiving food stamps cannot qualify alone to sponsor an immigrant spouse. This is an immigration site, not welfare site. And the OP did not give the details of his visa or circumstances of his case. And given that, it is a logical response to inform the OP that marrying his fiancee will not be an issue if she cannot sponsor him. First things first, so to speak.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline
If she is US citizen and on public assistance this should not be an issue as long as she can get the help of a joint sponsor.

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=65213

Profile details please: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...rCP&CODE=01

YuAndDan, you always have excellent, informative, concrete answers! This is what makes this journey a bit smoother! :star:

how can u say that? he didnt even answer the question. the op asked if she would loose her govt. assistance and food stamps....not does he need a joint sponsor.

OP questions cannot be really answered, since he did not provide enough information.

She needs to get a job and stop having taxpayers support her.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

How do you all know that the OP is not here on an H visa and already working?

In which case his income CAN be used on the I864 as long as it is legal and is likely to continue.

Whether or not his US spouse will loose her food stamps is a matter for DHS in her state of residence to decide.

The K-1 beneficiary is not eligible for cash benefits, but most other forms of assistance, such as medical and food stamps and WIC benefits are NOT barriers to AOS.

It is possible to be above the USCIS poverty level, and still qualify for some social service type benefits. Good luck!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

SPOT ON Im sick of paying for free loaders!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I certainly have no expertise, but if I were you I'd check up to see what the requirements for welfare, foodstamps, WIC, etc. are in your state. The states now determine who can recieve aid. You might also want to check out http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

As a few others have said. Her eligibility for gov assistance is dependent on the income guidelines for those benefits. They will use your income and the household size will be you,her and her children; unless there are other dependents in the home.

You can go to your state website and most likely find a link to the "who is eligible for _____" check the income guidlines and you will have your answer.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

You should also know that welfare is extremely controversial in the United States. receiving $100 in milk for your children is considered terrible by most people in the US, while receiving $100 million to produce weapons that the Pentagon doesn't want and that tests show don't work in a district of an influential congressman is pretty much par for the course for the National Defense Authorization Act.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP stated that he is in the US earning 35K. According to the I-864 instructions if the intending immigrant (OP) is currently residing with the petitioner/sponsor then his income can be used for sponsorship as long as that income will be continuing from the same source.

I don't know enough to comment on the public assistance question.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

if you are sponsering her you will not have a problem getting the petition but the fact she's on public dole there might be a problem... The INS frowns on anyone taking goverment money because it says that she cannont support herself. Talk to a lawyer for the best advice thank you...

It's obvious that SOME of the responses you are receiving are out of TOTAL ignorance!!! I am so sorry for that!

I was an Income Maintenance Technician, I ran the medical, childcare and energy assistance programs in Saguache County Colorado. The government programs are DESIGNED to help people in need - ALL PEOPLE if some are too puffed up with pride to accept help and can only release the pressure by blowing off steam at those who do that's their issue.

Food Stamps is a FEDERAL program. So using the information given that your future wife has absolutely no income it would mean she receives at maxium $588. Depending on your housing cost the benefit will reduce to $49 - $183, so yes it will go down significantly.

I understand your concern, I also have 3 children at home, I make a little less than you - BUT IT IS ENOUGH TO BOTH SPONSOR MY HUSBAND AND RECEIVE GOVERNMENT HELP! You and your wife need to get informed on the assistance available in your area. I am TELLING you from experience MOST government employees WON'T inform you of all that is out there to help you - it's there job to save the county money not show people how to LEGALLY get help - (I'm NOT talking about those who misuse it!) I can't even begin to tell you how many people have said to me, "No one told me I could receive assistance in that area."

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

SPOT ON Im sick of paying for free loaders!

:girlwerewolf2xn: :girlwerewolf2xn: :girlwerewolf2xn: :girlwerewolf2xn: :girlwerewolf2xn: :girlwerewolf2xn:

Have either of you even taken a peak down your upturned noses at the economy lately????? Do you NOT see that the need is RISING!

Before you speak why not GET THE FACTS RIGHT FIRST???

The last I looked, cash assistance & food stamps accounts for LESS THAN 3% of all of what is included in "welfare".

Here are a few other welfare programs your tax money supports.

1. TAX WRITE OFF'S OF MORTGAGE INTEREST

2. PELL GRANTS AND OTHER GRANTS GIVEN BY THE GOVERNMENT TO ASSIST STUDENTS

3. FARMERS BEING PAID NOT TO FARM

4. CORPORATE WELFARE

There are more.

BTW Tsup2 - OP's future wife HAS A JOB, she is raising 3 children and if she's like the majority of single moms in the US she doesn't get a DIME of support or any help whatsoever from the sperm donor for those children. HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK to say this woman doesn't have a job, she has the most important job - raising and taking care of her children.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Well said Whidbaygirl!!!!

That's the problem, people speak and then think!, and here in a thread is worse because you even have a chance to edit your thoughts (replies).

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-