mrsjohnsonscat

Soon to be ex-immigrant wife and i have a conversation

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok a quick call to SSA, (Gwad why do they always have to have an attitude?) and assuming she was correct. I cannot add my work credit to hers to make the 40, PRIOR to death...once I drop dead they can be added.

Of course she has worked and most likely has enough, but it was a strange statement to make out of the blue.

Ah well, after twenty years there's going be a little scarring.

Has far as the medicaid thing goes, health insurance is nearly impossible these days. I work for a small company, we have a HSA plan. The deductable for that plan is $4,500. That means I have to spend $4,500 before anything is picked up by the insurance company (this doesn't include dental or optical). That's great if you're healthy and strong as I am, but not so good if you're not and are only bringing home $25,000 a year, with a couple of kids, a car payment, rent etc. Normal everyday people.

Granted she was ill-advised to drop herself from my policy, but people do what they feel they must. The ecomony tanked and that was that.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Good luck everyone.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

$25,000 is not enough, you are going to need a co spnsor anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Huh? Oh I see. When i mentioned $25,000 i wasn't refering to myself. I was explaining why a person may need medicaid and not be layabout, using how my job handles benefits and how a person working full time and making $25,000 would still have problems getting health care even if they have 'insurance'.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hmmm interesting thread. i hope your ex signs that paper. IMO, she should have signed that paper before breaking the news. good luck

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline

Huh? Oh I see. When i mentioned $25,000 i wasn't refering to myself. I was explaining why a person may need medicaid and not be layabout, using how my job handles benefits and how a person working full time and making $25,000 would still have problems getting health care even if they have 'insurance'.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear.

I know people earning a lot less than $25,000, they do not qualify for Medicaid.

And I know many people with no insurance at all, our deductible is $5,000, but most of our employees have no coverage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just my 2 cents.

1.If she is receiving Medicaid, they have already reviewed her status and determined that you are not responsible. If they had determined that you were responsible, they would have either denied benefits or contacted you and begun to receive a payback for benefits given to her. They offer you two ways for the payback, one is free will and one is a garnishment.

2. Even if you were found to be responsible for her financially, it would only be a problem if you didn't earn enough income (or have a cosponsor) to cover the additional family member on the income chart. For example, you, your fiance and two kids make a family income of four. Add the ex for a family income of five. Sorry to burst her bubble, but if you make enough money her financial needs won't necessarily stop you from moving forward.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

It is highly unlikely Medicaid is well versed in sposnorship.

Timeline
It is highly unlikely Medicaid is well versed in sposnorship.

Actually, in my experience, you are incorrect. I was a sponsor to my first husband when he changed from a business visa to a residency based on marriage. He became disabled after a work accident. His medicaid and disability benefits were denied until our divorced was finalized. Once finalized (we never legally separated) his benefits were approved and as I said, I was given two options for payback.

Our experience with USCIS is an organization mired in internal confusion and chaos. Not all federal government offices operate in the same manner. Social Security has flags on immigrants that identify whether or not they are allowed to receive benefits based on their current immigrant status.

Of course, I speak from personal real life experience with this issue. I'm not sure what your background is.

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Ok a quick call to SSA, (Gwad why do they always have to have an attitude?) and assuming she was correct. I cannot add my work credit to hers to make the 40, PRIOR to death...once I drop dead they can be added.

Of course she has worked and most likely has enough, but it was a strange statement to make out of the blue.

Ah well, after twenty years there's going be a little scarring.

Has far as the medicaid thing goes, health insurance is nearly impossible these days. I work for a small company, we have a HSA plan. The deductable for that plan is $4,500. That means I have to spend $4,500 before anything is picked up by the insurance company (this doesn't include dental or optical). That's great if you're healthy and strong as I am, but not so good if you're not and are only bringing home $25,000 a year, with a couple of kids, a car payment, rent etc. Normal everyday people.

Granted she was ill-advised to drop herself from my policy, but people do what they feel they must. The ecomony tanked and that was that.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Good luck everyone.

I think the answer you got from SSA was in the context of retirement benefits, not ending an I-864 obligation but in any event, if she worked 10 years, she has the 40 quarters and you aren't responsible. Regardless, you'll have to list her on your affidavit(s) of support for the new filing. If you have enough qualifying income, you'll have no problem with the visa process on the financial score.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
I would love to know how Medicaid & USCIS communicate. Cause I think that is a 1 in a million shot.

The information is clearly communicated or how do immigrants receive social security cards.

AOS

Timeline
I think the answer you got from SSA was in the context of retirement benefits, not ending an I-864 obligation but in any event, if she worked 10 years, she has the 40 quarters and you aren't responsible. Regardless, you'll have to list her on your affidavit(s) of support for the new filing. If you have enough qualifying income, you'll have no problem with the visa process on the financial score.

Yeah, the first part of the answer was in terms of retirement/death benefits, but I explained what the I-864 was and how my question about qualifying credits (quarters) applied to it and I got the answer repeated that the only way I can share my credits was only in cases retirement or death. Now it is possible that she was unaware of the regulations concerning USCIS.

I wasn't worried about having enough income, I confess i was just blindsided by her matter of fact statement and wanted a forum to bounce ideas off, which you guys have more than provided. Thanks.

Edited by mrsjohnsonscat

Timeline
I would love to know how Medicaid & USCIS communicate. Cause I think that is a 1 in a million shot.

The information is clearly communicated or how do immigrants receive social security cards.

I filled a form in and applied for one.

Could we have a couple of links to posts where this has actually happened?

The issue comes up often enough.

But i think immigration kind of works like a car warranty, whichever comes first. 10 yrs or the equivalent of 40 terms of work, terms isnt the right word, so i would think that if youve done your 10 yrs, then your off the hook, and it sounds like your wife kinda put it in a 'well you cant now, cause im a public charge, hahahahha, in your face' kinda way. Am i just misundersanding? Did you take it that way?

It was a strange conversation. A lot of anger, even though she wanted the divorce. A lot of, " I don't want to end up eating cat food when I'm 80, while your new wife has the house." I had my tubes tied....kinda of stuff.

I don't want to bore you guys, with a ton of divorce talk, but I'm getting a "I'm not going to sign these papers", unless we make changes, vibe.

Ah, well...

Well depending on where you live, sometimes they HAVE to sign the papers, i know sometimes you can have a judge MAKE her sign the papers. she cant blackmail you into signing/ changing anything. She is from britain right? If she was from a 3rd world country i might understand a bit more, but shes not, what would be so bad about her going back if she really thinks she is going to be eating catfood? Your off the hook buddy, she has nothing to blackmail you with. Say adios kitty kitty kitty. :thumbs:

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
Nope, no citizenship. Medicaid is correct.

As far as I know, the I-864 was not in use 20 years ago. The I-134 was. The rules were not as clear cut on that one and I have been told by an immigration attorney friend that USCIS changed to I-864 to tighten the rules and hold the sponsor more accountable. I would check the language on the old form as that is probably what you filed for your wife. You would be held to rules of the form you filed. The I-134 is still in use for other reasons. It would be a simple matter of checking it out on the USCIS website.

Good luck.

Actually, you should check a copy of the version of the AOS that your originally filed if you still have it. That would be even better as I see that the I-134 has changed some.

Edited by 20yearswaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.